Caffeine After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't given any diet or beverage restrictions (except alcohol when on pain meds). I've been drinking coffee as far back as I can remember and altho I've cut down to 2 or 3 cups in the morning since I've been retired, I've had no problems since I've been home. Like sodas, going from regular to diet takes time to adjust, I'm sure I could go from regular to decaf, but no reason to. I never drink coffee after late in the morning or I don't sleep well at night.
I'll continue my coffee because as a runner, there is supposed to be some benefits from the caffine on longer runs.

Hello. I thougth I'd voice my opionion on this topic:p First of all, I am a big fan of caffeine (I have a two year old son) but I was told to stay away from it too. The reason behind it was, I was given medication to help lower my heart rate, and since caffeine increases heart rate, it sort of defeates the purpose of the medication. The weird thing was, after my surgery I didn't even want to look at soda. I thought that would be great, help me loose some weight, but of course that didn't last long:D I do try and watch how much caffeine I consume, but I wasn't told it was a major issue anymore (it's been over a year since my surgery). I would say if you can help it, try and stay away from it, but a little won't hurt. Just my opinion;)

I drank one tall cup of coffee every morning, more on the weekend, pre-op.

I weaned myself off even that amount, because I figured I wouldn't get any coffee for at least a few days in the hospital.

Once I was out of surgery, I was afraid to drink coffee again, plus I wasn't allowed any cream in the hospital so I didn't really want any coffee. But It was on the menu, and was even given to me several times without my asking (though milk was not given automatically - yech!)

For the past 2 days, since I've come home, I've gone back to 1/2 cup in the morning and it doesn't seem to affect me.

But cutting coffee out completely even if you don't have to is probably a wise move if you can do it without losing one of your life's essential pleasures.

I gave up coffee Post Op. I was never truly addicted to it but it gave me cravings to want to smoke again so I stay away from it. However, I started drinking hot tea. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that tea is great in preventing cancer and cardiac diseases. It contains polyphenols which is an antioxidant. I occasionally drink the herbal green teas as well even though I take Coumadin. It has not affected my INR one bit. Recent studies have shown that black teas (hot or cold) have about the same benefits as green tea. Drinking tea is a great alternative!

Caffine can "trigger" palps, arrythminas and afibs even in those though not diagnosed with heart diseases. Some folks have "caffine sensitive" hearts. My Card always says know your "trigger" points that can cause palps or arrythmias and cut them out of your lifestyle.

I'm a truck driver, so coffee is my friend.. I'm 4 months post op, and the last 3 weeks I have been drinking 1 cup a day, a small cup. A few times I felt like it was too much. I think eventually, I'll end up quiting it, or save it for those times where I really need it.

I did manage to give up 90% of the soda I was drinking. It's Gaterade or Powerade for me, and water.

I'd say try a small amount & see how you feel.

Coffee?

Coffee?

My cardiologist does not like for me to drink coffee.

I stayed off of the good stuff (the real stuff) for about a year post-op because my husband became the coffee-Nazi and would only let me have de-caf (although I sneaked out for a Starbucks every chance I could). We finally had some guests visiting who (happily for me) HAD to have real coffee each morning and so we transitioned back. That said, however, I don't go hog wild with it. A couple of mugs in the morning and sometimes some coffee in the afternoon and I nearly never miss the opportunity to grab a nice latte:p!

Stretch,

I agree with your plan to kick caffeine and stay off it until well after surgery. If you wind up reactive to it, the PACs and PVCs and possibly worse would not be a good thing to endure during recovery. It might kick off something that wouldn't have happened without the boost.

When you're ready, try it again - just a cup. You may be fine, or you may decide to stay off it, or go to tea, which generally has much less.

I drink three cups most workdays. One before I leave home, and two at work. However, I don't seem very reactive to caffeine, as I can drink coffe and fall asleep right afterwards.

Best wishes,

Headache

Headache

Funny, but none of you said anything of headaches after quiting coffee.
I get a terrible headache if I don`t have my daily fix.
I hope the dope I get after surgery takes the pain away.
I`m not strong enough to quit now, some 24 days pre-op. :(

Regarding headaches -

I went off coffee cold turkey about 20 years ago and had a really bad headache in the brainstem area for two solid weeks. It was extremely bad but I stuck it out. (I eventually began drinking coffee again sometime later.)

So I had reservations about going off coffee after OHS but, I don't know why but, I didn't have the slightest trouble getting off of it. Maybe it was because of some of the meds I was on, maybe it was because my body had other pain issues and distractions, I don't know. But it wasn't an issue and wasn't difficult to go off of it post-op, except for, perhaps, psychologically.

BTW, I'm slurpping on a really fine cup of joe as I type this...:p

Back