Anyone get a funny feeling when you bend over?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod Harry

I have no problems when lifting my hands above my head, but when I bend over to pick up something off the floor, or tie my shoes, I get a funny feeling, kinda light headed, and a feeling like my head is presurized, and I can feel my heart beating in my upper left trap close to the neck.

It's not a good feeling, and I wondered if anyone knew what it was, and if eventually it would go away?

Hey Hot Rod Harry!
Yes, I used to get a weird feeling too when I bent over.....out of breath, light headed. Kept thinking I hadn't been 'fixed' :( Happy to report that at 5 months out I am no longer breathless in B'ville. Feels great when everything comes together!
Best to you,
Debbi

Thats good to hear.

Where abouts in WV is B'ville? I go to WV alot when I'm working (delivering cars). Just didn't recognize the city.

Hi Harry!
I used to get a strange feeling when I knelt down - it felt like my heart was beating harder or strangely. This seems to have gone away since my surgery. Kate

The feeling of being close to passing out is called syncope. It does seem to go away over time for most people after surgery. Water retention and weight can affect that feeling, as can which drugs you are taking (beta blockers, common after valve surgery, can slow the heart and make you woozy in these situations). But it is largely from a sudden lowering shift in blood pressure called orthostatic hypotension.

When it happens, it can feel like your face is getting red and you can hear your heartbeat in your head. If you go down on your knees or straighten up, it will pass. It's just from bending over. Tying your shoes can do it.

This too shall pass.

Best wishes,

Hello Harry,
I feel that pounding and dizziness alot when bending over. I bend at the knees instead of the waist now. I still get a little dizzy when I get back up, but, it's better than the discomfort and pressure I felt before.
I tend to 'look' at something I've dropped and contemplate picking it up now, if my dog won't eventually eat it then I pick it up when I feel like it!.:D
I hope you feel better soon. Just listen to your body and cut yourself some slack.
I wonder about one of those claw things they use to sell on TV?:p
Take care,
Deana

im getting the same feeling right now at 6 weeks post op. never had any problems before the surgery, and i assume it will just go away. i was planning to ask my cardio at my next apointmnet, but its good to know everyone experienced it as well.

I have the same feelings. I am glad to hear many of you say they often go away post op. I can also often hear my heart beat in my ears very loudly when I bend over. In fact, the first couple of times I heard it - it was so loud, I thought my kids were making the noise. I also thought someone was at the door:D - duh!
Good luck...

Hot Rod Harry said:
Thats good to hear.

Where abouts in WV is B'ville? I go to WV alot when I'm working (delivering cars). Just didn't recognize the city.

Hey Barboursville is right outside of Huntington, WV near the Ohio (Proctorville) state line. I'm someplace between Charleston and Huntington. You come through this 'neck of the woods' much?

Yes I do, maybe 3 times a month. I go to the Chrysler dealer in Huntington & one in Huricane. I go right by you everytime I'm on 64. I'm looking @ the map, and I remember seing the signs for your city. Nice people in that area.

Yep...whenever my head goes below my heart..I get a funny feeling in my head..almost like a roar.. it feels more like pressure..than lightheaded..
then of course when I stand up I feel lightheaded..
all since the surgery..
all these fun and new annoying issues:p

I'm familiar with the feeling too. At times it would feel that if my head was a cork it would pop right off. I don't think I've ever read anything definitive on it but I personally feel like it is a result of the increase in intrathoracic pressure (pressure in the chest cavity) that happens when you bend forward. Years ago some of my first episodes with SVT (supra-ventricular tachycardia) occured as I leaned forward for some reason or another.

I think the orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure falling temporarily when changing position) can account for some dizziness and feeling like you might pass out but I don't know if it would account for the feeling of pressure. I think a heart under stress may be more sensitive to pressure changes and when it is fixed and healed then the sensitivity may be less. Like I said, this is just my ideas on it since I know first-hand what you are talking about.

Maybe it also has to do with the fluid I still have around my heart, and bending over places stress on a different part of the heart?

Latest posts

Back