Broken ribs need Mitral valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp still up

Temp still up

My temp is still around 99.4 - 100. I called into the cardiac surgery department to see if they want me to take tylenol, or have whatever infection that is running its course, resolve itself. Most likely they would prefer the bug to die a happy natural death.

I just do not want to be one of these people who have a low grade temp for months. That would certainly NOT be fun.

Still hanging in there.

Temperature

Temperature

I am sorry to hear that your surgery was posponed. That is a real bummer.
I remember a long time ago when I donated a kidney to my brother, I was in the hospital a couple of days before surgery for all kinds of pre-op tests and I was running a low grade temp. They took all kinds of tests to try to find the cause but could not find anything wrong. They ended up doing the surgery anyway and everything turned up fine. If I remember right, it was about one point above normal.
I hope evrything goes like scheduled for Friday.

Don't understand

Don't understand

I am still running a 99-101 temp. There is no reason that I can think of
I do not want to go in at 05:30 and have them cancel the procedure again.

This would be a bit more than I could take. Dr Guyton said that he could proceed with a low grade temp, but when does low-grade go past the point where they want to go on with the surgery?

I left a message. i hope that help.

Antibiotic

Antibiotic

The blood growth cultures all came back negative.
So the only issues could be a virus or perhaps Stress? (Hmm let me see...stress, stress. Yes I think I have some of that!)

:eek:

Antibiotics do not work against Viruses, and I appreciate the fact that my surgeon does just not hand out antibiotics just for a placebo effect. we are all responsible for the new superbugs out there using antibiotics when they do not have any effect.:p

My temp is down to a reasonable level. My Surgeon says that they can go ahead if my temp does not spike above 100F tomorrow morning. I feel much better (hmm I wonder if that will change after the surgery), and it is time to go ahead. Whew!:(

Michaelka said:
The blood growth cultures all came back negative.
So the only issues could be a virus or perhaps Stress? (Hmm let me see...stress, stress. Yes I think I have some of that!)

:eek:

(
Michael,
It sounds like you need a prescription for Chill Pills!;) ;)
Try to relax and think COOL thoughts!
Good luck!
Mary

Well, Michael, once again may I wish you all the best and hope that this time next week you'll be back home recuperating.

Surgery cancelled again

Surgery cancelled again

The surgery was cancelled again. I had a temp of 102+ today and I still did not feel sick at all.

They cancelled the surgery, I had the honor of donating more blood into little culture vials and they took the unusal step of having my head examined. Yes I had a CAT scan of my sinuses.

After I had all of this done, I dutifully notified my work supervisor, who said that I really need some time off (unpaid) and I should not come back to work in at least a month or until my heart surgery is cleared up.

Putting it mildly, that was not the "caring attitude" that I expected from Microsoft.

I have no sick leave. I am just left to hang out to dry.

I think I am going to transfer this thread back to "pre Surgery"

Oh, Michael, I'm so sorry. But I guess that this has to be straightened out before you'd want to proceed. Are you on an antibiotic?

Well this stinks, but I guess you are aware of that.
When you know what's going to happen, let us know.

Michael , no one should have to go through what you are going through right now and it really sucks ! You have such an incredible sense of humor and I know you're going to get through this. Everything was piling up on me for the last few years and there were many times that I just wanted to give up. I thought that because I was a man , that I could just be strong and fight all these battles on my own and it just got worse and worse. I don't know if you believe in a higher power but I do know that , a few months ago I hit bottom and realized I couldn,t wage battle alone anymore. I've always been a Christian but I hadn't read the Bible or gone to Bible study for years and I was too far away for God to help me. In Nov/05 I started to read my Bible and I've been attending Bible study for about 4 weeks now. I've asked God to please return to me and show me the way for I will follow. The change in me in the last few weeks has been astounding , I'm ready for anything now with my renewed faith and love of God. Dear God , thankyou for your love and mercy , please help Michael with the heavy burden upon him, Amen.:)

Still thanking God

Still thanking God

I am not currently on any antibiotics because the doctors are getting very reluctant to "shotgun" anymore. They have created enough superbugs and really do not want to create any more.

My surgery is permanently deferred until the CDC or the US Infectious Disease Control can find out what is causing my fever. It is very rare for them to see a blood culture that does not grow using the growth mediums that they use so they are quite interrest in my blood. (Bunch of bloodsuckers, but ya gotta love 'em)!

After hearing about my second cancellation, my work told me that I most likely needed more rest and need to go home. In fact do not come in Monday, Tuesday or until the rest of my life until my situation is resolved. I cannot get any unemployment, sick days or any compensation.

I am a contractor for Microsoft. This is another reason why I really have issues with them. They pay ok, but when something like this comes along, they make it very clear that you are just "dash trash" That is a "V-xxxxx" contractor. I have a lot of respect for the company, but when this sort of thing happens, you do hope for more.

It is just not right, but it is the way they do things.

At least my surgeon and my past supervisor may give me rays of rope. My surgeon states that he would be perfectly happy to rate me as disabled so that I could get short term disability payments (that I am paying for through my contracting agency), And my last supervisor may have about 20-30 hours a week of work for me at my normal pay rate. This would allow me to make enough to pay my bills and still get extra rest (which I may ACTUALLY REALLY need). Technically If I need heart surgery due too Congestive Heart failure, and am running a fever a good case could be made for the fact that I am disabled.

I will be going to church tomorrow as usual and do my usual position at the sound board. I am still getting the chills occasionally and it is quite anoying. I just wish I knew what it is. The only thing that really worries me is that it could be a blood borne issue that I could have received when I received 3 units of plasma after my auto accident a year ago. That could be a real problem.

Why not me?

Why not me?

When people tell me that no one deserves what I am going through, I take a long hard look, and think it should not happen to anyone.

I do not wonder "Why me?" I am more into the "Well, why NOT me"? Am I special?

Well everyone is special in their own way, but I am certainly not special enough to get a permanant exemption from problems.

I trust in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit. That is good enough for me. (It is not always to do, but I certainly do try to trust as best as I am able.)

Lord forgive my unbelief, Help me to believe more!!!! We are all very falable creatures. Just saying that you believe is not enough for everyone. I need the Lord's help to strengthen my belief fairly regulary. Reading the bible helps bring the word in and it will come back later.

I received disability pay prior to my surgery because I had CHF; so go for it. If they'd had to delay surgery for something like you've been messing with, I'd have still been disabled. Good thing you chose to get this kid of policy.

Will Microsoft at least hold your job for you?

I was really lucky in that I was in a secure position at a company where I'd worked for 20 years. Altho they paid poorly and things had deteriorated a lot over the last few years I worked there, I discovered the enormous value of that kind of stability.

Good luck and be of good cheer as much as possible. Being depressed takes so much work and wears you out! Hope they discover the cause of the fever pronto so you can start getting well.

Will Microsoft hold my job?

Will Microsoft hold my job?

In a word, no. I do not work FOR Microsoft, I only work AT Microsoft. I am a contractor and we are considered expendable. There was a lawsuit about that issue many years ago called the "permatemp" case. After the case was settled, it took at least 10 years for anyone to receive any compensation. (Yes I will admit that my name was in the pool) After all Microsoft had already sent the money out, if I did not put my name in, other people would just get more, that would be the only difference at that point.

I belive that the mindset that Microsoft has (And I think it has actual legitimate value) is that you know what you are getting to, "Do not ask for one thing now, and ask for more after your position is completed". That really is what the suit was about. Some people got irritated that they were being treated the same way as Microsoft employees, however they were not getting medical, 401k, or any other benefits.
Now I personally agree whith this philosophy to a point. Once you have worked under these conditions for over a year, the comapny needs to decide if you are worythy of "full time perm" or not. Not just running the circle over and over by making you take a 100 day break and hiring you again for 365, then another 100 day break as it is today. (That is what is called a contractor today) They did not have that hiring restriction many years ago.

I am working in a role that is called a "Vendor". I have exactly the same setup as 5 years ago before the permatemp situation. My feeling is that I will never be permanantly hired and If I want to work there it will only be through contracting agencies. I personally really like working at Microsoft. The challenges are great, and the work is cutting edge. Since I test rather than write code, I definitly feel my skillset has value there!

Bugs Bugs

Bugs Bugs

The good doctor at the CDC and another doctor at the Infectious Disease control finally figured out that it might be the goup between my ears that could be causing a low grade infection.

Now in case you get any ideas there........ It is a possible sinus infection or "something like that there, we think..........." Such definite answers.

So that Green stuff between my ears.......I mean the GREY stuff between my ears ...... Oh I give up.

Any way they did put me on antibiotics for the next two weeks, and if there is no change they will do additional tests. If all goes well, I will be in for surgery in a week or two. (This is certainly not helping my budget.......)

Well, finally! Those sinus infections can sure be pesky. Hydrate, get lots of sleep, practice with your spirometer, etc. etc.

Glad you got some answers.

Delayed surgery

Delayed surgery

Mike,
I have followed your saga on this site. The story has felt like a cliff hanger and I'm so relieved that there has been a resolution of sorts. I lived in the Seattle area for 25 years and know how inconvenient having to travel across the floating bridge.
Do keep us informed. Do you know what the antibiotic they are giving you is?
You are in my thoughts.
Barbara

The antibiotic

The antibiotic

Clifhanger, Chapter xxxx..

Yes, I will the name of the antibiotic on this site. The name of the antiobiotic will have some definitite implications for some people. Why in this day and age can't an illness be an illness without behavior attached? First I will say that I have not done any behavior that would lead to the main reasons for a perscription for this medication.

Nothing. Nada.

But not everyone will believe you. Oh well

The antiobiotic is Sulfamethoxazole/TMP DS

This is commonly used for AIDS to eliminate diseases in immunity compromized people that have illnesses that are going after a weakened immune system.

I can think of two possibilities if a diagnosis follows this thinking. I would hope that it would be because of the 3 units of Plasma that I had one year ago when I had my T-Bone auto accident.

So there it is, another thing to think about it.

But regardless of how this turns out, I will never look people with imnuosupressive diseases again. I could easily be one of them. Fault is irrlevant.

(Shrug shoulders)

Operation scheduled for Wed AM (2/22/06) Redux

Operation scheduled for Wed AM (2/22/06) Redux

Al posting for Michael here:

Michael's operation is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday morning (2/22/06). His computer is down, so I am posting for him as requested by him. His fever has gone down enough so the operation can proceed.

We are all praying for you Michael. ;) Good luck and 73s.

Al

Back