• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosthetic sternum

Not something I want but it's good to know it's there

https://blog.csiro.au/bone-cartilage...m-and-plastic/

Pretty wild.

Comment

Very positive, but like Pellicle, I'd prefer to keep my own.
      Never stand afar and view with fear and trembling that which lies in your way. Face it boldly and see how very small it is, after all.
      VR.com member since 2004, avr in 2005

Comment

Looks very "terminator" , really cool indeed
        27mm St Jude mechanical AVR, MV repaired.4/11/15 at 39 yrs old. BAVD.. Sternal wires removed 28/10/16.

Comment

Not only is it "cool" looking, but I'm sure there are patients for whom it would be a huge benefit.

We had a very active member here some years ago (GregA) who needed to have his sternum removed due to some complication from heart surgery. He did OK without it, but life was challenging for him. This would possibly have made his life far more normal again.
          Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
          9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
          AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for. New pacemaker (Boston Scientific L101) and ventricular lead, July, 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by epstns View Post
            Not only is it "cool" looking, but I'm sure there are patients for whom it would be a huge benefit.

We had a very active member here some years ago (GregA) who needed to have his sternum removed due to some complication from heart surgery. He did OK without it, but life was challenging for him. This would possibly have made his life far more normal again.
            Yes I recall. There may be some here yet.

I myself am not out of the woods yet, but I would hope it is not in my future

Comment

I, too, hope you can dodge this bullet, mate.
              Go Class of 2011!

Steve Epstein
              9 Years in The Waiting Room, then on February 28, 2011,
              AVR with 23mm Edwards Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve, Model 3300TFX, Pacemaker - Boston Scientific Altrua 60 DDDR IS-1 and CABG (LIMA-LAD) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago by Dr. Patrick McCarthy and the most wonderful team of professionals I could ask for. New pacemaker (Boston Scientific L101) and ventricular lead, July, 2016.

Comment

https://blog.csiro.au/american-woman...inted-implant/

Comment

Originally posted by epstns View Post
                  I, too, hope you can dodge this bullet, mate.
                  Following up:
                  My infection guy has written a referral for a PET scan, so after 5 years on antibiotics we are taking the first steps to attempt to resolve if I still have a pet bacteria cohabitating in my sternum...

Comment

Originally posted by pellicle View Post

Following up:
                    My infection guy has written a referral for a PET scan, so after 5 years on antibiotics we are taking the first steps to attempt to resolve if I still have a pet bacteria cohabitating in my sternum...
                    Really hoping that you get good news after your PET scan, Pellicle. Keep us posted.
                    CE Perimount Aortic Bovine Valve

Comment

Working...
                    X