On-X Aortic Heart Valves: Safer with Less Warfarin

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freedom to roam (or unusual INR testing locations)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom to roam (or unusual INR testing locations)

Hi

being here in Australia now (having arrived from Finland a couple weeks ago) I have (of course) tested my INR a couple of times. I thought that as I'm going to be travelling around a bit that when I'm in a new location that's not "home" (or is at least where my hat is) that I'd post a picture of the INR test in that location.

So, being winter, the house was too cold to test in up here (as to why Australians don't heat their homes is another topic) so as I got a Low Temp alert (meaning I can't test) on my machine I went out to the back of the car shed, put the little black case in the sun on a chair behind the car and waited for it to warm up.

and admired the view for a bit while it warmed up ...

INR was 2.3 ... happy with that ... leaving dose alone (as is the norm even if there is squiggle in INR value)

If anyone desires to add to this thread with a picture of their unusual INR testing location please do

:-)

So you guys don't heat your houses "down" there? I have an old oil boiler ( basically burns diesel fuel) that gives hydronic heat but just last week installed Mitsubishi mini splits for a/c . They also have a heat pump that's good down to -13 F. I almost went with "traditional" central air but couldn't pass on the efficiency of the mini splits and the heating capability. Not a lot to do with your post but....

Comment

Originally posted by cldlhd View Post
      So you guys don't heat your houses "down" there?...Not a lot to do with your post but....
      Not in Queensland, not well in NSW either

http://mylittlecolony.blogspot.com/2...ide-house.html

I normally heat my place though, and this works well
      http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/08...ng-part-3.html

Comment

Originally posted by pellicle View Post
        Hi

being here in Australia now (having arrived from Finland a couple weeks ago) I have (of course) tested my INR a couple of times. I thought that as I'm going to be travelling around a bit that when I'm in a new location that's not "home" (or is at least where my hat is) that I'd post a picture of the INR test in that location.

So, being winter, the house was too cold to test in up here (as to why Australians don't heat their homes is another topic) so as I got a Low Temp alert (meaning I can't test) on my machine I went out to the back of the car shed, put the little black case in the sun on a chair behind the car and waited for it to warm up.

and admired the view for a bit while it warmed up ...

INR was 2.3 ... happy with that ... leaving dose alone (as is the norm even if there is squiggle in INR value)

If anyone desires to add to this thread with a picture of their unusual INR testing location please do

that almost sounds like a challenge.. :-) I'll see what I can rustle up in the next few weeks...
        27mm St Jude mechanical AVR, MV repaired.4/11/15 at 39 yrs old. BAVD.. Sternal wires removed 28/10/16.

Comment

No fair...us tissue valvers can't play
          BAV, severe aortic stenosis replaced and single bypass done 9/30/15 by Dr. Joseph Coselli, CHI St. Luke's Hospital, Houston. Clinical trial Edwards Rapid Deployment Intuity (tissue) Valve. Cardiologist is Dr. Jose Diez, Baylor Clinic.
          Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
          Dalai Lama

Comment

Looks like a fun game.

Welcome home Pel.
            Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Moderate Aortic Valve Stenosis. Ascending Aorta: 4.1cm
            In the waiting room.

Comment

Originally posted by Agian View Post
              Welcome home Pel.
              Thanks mate :-)

Comment

winter is still proving a challenge with house interiors too cold (triggering the alarm) so I now have moved into the shed at another mates place for AM testing.

5 minutes per side in the fresh morning sun to warm up my black coagucheck case and then do the test on the workbench (beside the oil filter for my Yamaha which will be changed later today)

Being in a rural area I'd have to drive 50Km to get a blood test (if I was still tied to those ratbags)

Freedom

Comment

Being in Southern California, and without air conditioning, I've had the opposite problem -- the meter gets TOO WARM for testing. I've run into this issue with the CoaguChek XS and the Coag-Sense. To overcome this issue, I find a shadier or cooler location.
                  As far as pictures go, a cutting board in my kitchen, or tabletop are about all I use. Nothing interesting here.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Protimenow View Post
                    Being in Southern California, and without air conditioning, I've had the opposite problem -- the meter gets TOO WARM for testing.
                    That comes here too when we get 40C in the summer ;-)

Its just that it was winter when I reported that

Comment

At least the temperature extremes don't make the strips unusable when the temperature is back within testing range.
                      I had to refrigerate my Protime strips. It's nice to be past that issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X