Is 21ga still the recommended lancet size?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all,

New to home testing on mom and wasted a strip this week because of not enough blood. 3 sticks later (and got smart about not even trying to touch the strip until I knew it was enough) I got a decent drop of blood out of her. We let her hand hang down (she's in a wheelchair so can't do jumping around or anything to get blood flowing) and used the rubber band the first time after I had her sit with a hot towel around her finger first. What finally did the trick was hot towel over whole hand while it was hanging down and then rubber band on while getting meter ready and release right stick.

Roche sent the accu check soft click and it's set on 5. I actually jabbed myself to make sure it was firing properly. I have read old posts here that diabetic testing doesn't need as big of a drop so I'm wondering if the accu check is too small and I should look for other lancets. The lab she used to go to uses some white things with a blue button on top that looks like a T.

What do the experts here suggest?

Hi

I have good success with this method

https://youtu.be/bDzDAEtVt7o

Pay attempt to winding the band down, to increase blood that is already trapped.

Observe the time in that video, seconds. Work relatively quickly as if you are well practiced.

Test another finger first without wasting a strip

Also make sure the finger isn't cold to the touch (someone else's touch) that implies poor circulation, meaning less blood.

Try washing up in warm water or just after having got out of the shower too.

Best Wishes

I use a 21 gauge lancet with the Softclick set to the highest number. During the winter I put a mitt on the target hand for a few minutes to warm my hand sometimes too.

Latest posts

Back