Consequence of Using Test Strip With Different Code Chip?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I was given 4 test strips but no new code chip. I still have the old code chip in the Coaguchek unit from the previous set of test strips. How will this effect the results? Can this damage the unit? :confused:

Julian,

When this happened to me, the machine displayed an *error* message. No results! Nothing happened to the machine.

I called Roche. They asked me a couple of questions (which I do not remember) to determine what chip to send to me, which I received within a few days.

There were times when I forgot to change the chip. Yet, strips from a new box worked well. So, I think that sometimes boxes of strips that are shipped together may have identical chip codes.

Try to call Roche to be on the safe side and avoid wasting a strip.

I've used InRatio and Protime meters in the past, and all had strips that either had the code built into the strip, or the code was printed on the label. My CoaguChek S, or course, used the code chip.

The code for all three reflected the value of the reagent -- a correction factor that will make your test accurate. I"m sure that Roche - and the other manufacturers - make the strips in very lrge lots, so it's possible (though maybe not probable) that the strip you get without an accompanying chip will actually be a match for the chip. Is there anything on the packaging that indicates which code chip is needed?

As others have advised, it probably makes much sense to have Roche help figure it out or send you the correct coding chip that you need for your strips.

I was given 4 test strips but no new code chip. I still have the old code chip in the Coaguchek unit from the previous set of test strips. How will this effect the results? Can this damage the unit? :confused:

Julian, if you are using the Coaguchek XS, the quality controls are quite bullet proof. The machine won't proceed with a test where
there is something askew with either an expired strip, or mis-matched code.

Like Eva said, if the code numbers are the same from a same numbered lot, and the test runs, you will be fine, but there is
no harm in calling Roche, they are most helpful.
Don't worry about damaging the unit. If the QC check on startup rejects your code, you will be advised not to proceed.

Back