Personal ProTime & Insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi Everyone--I have been a member here for quite a while, but due to my work schedule, I don't write much, but peruse often. So I have a question. I see so many of you getting the home units for INR checking. I have a St. Judes valve implanted 2/99, and it is a real annoyance trying to go for the readings. Fortunately, I have been pretty consistent with only a few blips now and again. Both my cardio and the nurse who runs the "coumadin clinic" are in favor and said they would be glad to do whatever I needed. I just think I would feel more comfortable if I could test whenever I feel the need--perhaps more often than 4-5 weeks--and especially when I travel out of town which I do a good bit of with my work. However, my husband feels that it is a superfluous expense for convenience if insurance won't pay for it. I have a PPO with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama--even though I live in FL, my company's home office is in Birmingham. Has anyone had any experience with BC/BS of Alabama with this machine as to insurance? Or even any other BC/BS state--although the rules can vary somewhat. For most purposes, it is very good insurance (surely covered my surgery well!!), but it may not be for this--I just don't know. I know there is also residual cost as to the testing strips, etc. Anyway, thanks for any advice! Susan :confused:

Hi Susan,

I have been using my Protime home testing unit now for over a year and a 1/2. I test once a week, more often if there is a high reading due to either my diet, or antibodics, what ever the reason, I test because I want to get back onto my recommended range. My safety zone, if you will. Over the course of my home testing, I have manged to keep my INR monitored so closely that if it is going out of range, I quickly can bring it back into range.

Seems that if you check at the lab with your doctor, a few good readings, and they then start scheduling you to check once a month! In my opinion, that is outragous! Allot can happen within the course of a month between checks, and, what are the consequences? Hmmm... A stroke,,,, Internal hemmoraging.... Death...Of course those would be the extremes, but major swings in INR can happen.

Not trying to scare anyone, but, having the peace of mind with home testing once a week, or whenever you feel scared about your INR, sure is better than worrying until your next scheduled lab test a month later.

I think your husband needs to be educated to the dangers of your INR being out of range. The extremes can be deadly, or at the very least, life changing for both you and him.

I travel often, and take my home testing unit with me. You must know that traveling and eating on the road, is a difficult balance. Having the PRotime unit with me when I travel helps keep me my INR in check.

In my opinion the unit is well worth the money, and is surely not just a "superfluous expense" as your husband says it is.

I hope others here voice their opinion, and maybe assist you in helping your husband start to take a serious look at the consequences.

Good luck,

Rob

Last edited:
ProTime Insurance Coverage

ProTime Insurance Coverage

Hello Sunshine Susan,

Why don't you let us try to get this approved! There is no fee for this, and we will attempt to get it approved and then let you know what kind of cost your looking at. On average, insurance companies pay around 80%, but every policy is different.
This means that you would only owe two dollars per test! Please call me at 800-298-4515 ext. 2865 and I'll get things started. At least you have the support of your Dr's, so that is a step in a positive direction. You can also email me at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Lance

Let QAS handle it

Let QAS handle it

Susan,

QAS is working on my "prescription" for a Protime unit as I write this. The process is very simple. I donwloaded the necessary forms from their website, filled out my part and sent it to my cardio doc who had the darn thing done the same day they got it. Wow! I even gave them a self-addressed stamped envelope to send on to QAS.

The folks at QAS processed it and forwarded it to my insurance company for me.

We are now awaiting their typical 4 to 6 weeks reply.

I regret I'll have to see my vampire bats at least one more time until I get my unit.

Should my health insurance plan turn me down, I'm prepared to purchase the equipment on my own. I'm that committed. My veins are just not up to any more heavy duty probing and bruising. I'm looking forward to not so much the convenience, but a real reduction of pain.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
An "A" for the Protime Unit!

An "A" for the Protime Unit!

Hi Susan,

I remember you from way back (July 2000) when I had to go in for my surgery (August 2000) and you were wonderful to e-mail me personally and conforted and calmed me down. I was so anxious and scared about the upcoming surgery, but because of you and several others I knew if you all could do it, so could I!
Anyways, about the Protime unit. Susan, I cannot say enough about it. It is everything I hoped for! I had to pay for it out of my own pocket because insurance refused to cover, but it was worth every penny. I take it anywhere I travel and test whenever I want to. I test once a week and at times due to diet or medication I test more often just to feel safe.
I would NEVER want to go for 4-5 weeks without testing. Like Rob said before me, so many things can happen in that amount of time. I agree with Rob that your husband needs to be educated about the dangers of INR being out of range and how quickly this can happen. I had two surgeries that August of 2000 and the second surgery was because of a too low INR (1.4) and I got a blood clot.
I also wanted to safe my veins for a later date and as it was I already had scar tissue build-up and was told that they soon would have to go to the other arm. I was going to the lab 2-3 times a week as my INR was never right. I became stable because I bought the protime unit, fired the doctor and started testing myself. I haven't been to a lab in almost a year.
I do have another doctor now who supports me all the way.

Hope this helps.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's mechanical

Last edited:
Oh gosh! Superfluous????

My husband has had two TIA's, major bleeding in the urinary tract, roof of his mouth bleeding for hours (trip to the ER), etc. etc.....All in the period of a year.
On Monday night we were at the ER for significant pain in his left arm/shoulder, and his INR was 3.2 - This morning he tested at 2.2 - No med change, no diet change, etc. Now, for someone who has already had two TIA's, his chances are higher for having a stroke. He has massive petecchia all over his legs right now (actually bled through with scabs on them). Worse he has ever had. No Who would imagine this difference? They gave him Tylenol with codeine on Monday night, which is supposed to raise the INR.
Perhaps becuase you've never had the problems with the coumaden, he is so non-challant about it. It is SO important not to stroke out, or to get a bleed that is life threatening. I can't imagine going 5 weeks without getting tested. It is just plain ole not safe.
Follow the above advice, and let them see if they can get you approved!

Marybeth

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! I e-mailed the thread to my husband---he wasn't happy that I quoted him, but we are going to do the paperwork and see if it will fly with the insurance. I was noting another fellow started a string with insurance problems. Not to mix it up, but he mentioned something called Exantra? Anyway, will see what happens and if necessary, I may just buy it outright.

Good to hear from you Christina--I'm so glad you are doing well and have read many of your items on the board. I was very worried about you when you had those problems with the surgery! One of these days, maybe I will make a reunion!

Thanks again, everyone. Lance, you too! We probably be talking soon.

BCBS of Ma covered my unit

BCBS of Ma covered my unit

Having had an inside knowledge of how lab results are handled, I wrote an appeal to the grievience dept. of BCBS and was able to get my unit approved. They agreed to cover it with supplies for one year. Now, I will have to try again to get them to reconsider if they will cover my supplies as my year has expired. It still is cheaper than sending me to the lab at the hospital.
One issue I brought up to BCBS was that high INR's are always phoned into the MD office, but low INR's are sent over with the normal labs. So there could be a delay in those results getting to the office of a day or two. An INR of 1.2 on a normal person is prob. just fine, but on me, that would be a whole different story. But the lab doesn't call those low readings in like they do the high readings. They are both potentially dangerous. I gave them dates and readings when this happened to me.
Good luck in trying to get your insurance co. to help.
Gisele

Latest posts

Back