Should my doctors be more concerned about BP?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My BP is regularly 130-145/80-90. I take 75mg/day metoprolol. I'm about 30lbs overweight (5'6", 180lbs) and since the start of 2018 my exercise routine has been non-existent. I don't really watch my salt intake, though I don't go crazy with salt. I have naturally low total cholesterol (~130)

I was a solid 120/70 forever until I hit ~40. If I dropped the weight, got back on the cardio exercise and watched my salt I do not doubt that I could get below 130/80. Admittedly, part of my slacker attitude is due to my GP nor my doctors not seeming all that concerned. Sure, they always mention, in this offhanded, unconcerned manner, that I should work on the weight, etc. But I never have gotten a speech about long-term effects or impending doom. I see PSAs on TV with far more alarm than my doctors. How would you react to those numbers? How would your doctors react?

Nobody is going to care more about your health than you and your loved ones. You know where you would like your numbers to be and seem to have a good idea of how to get them there. The last remaining challenge is in the doing.

I was in a similar situation regarding weight loss last year. After a cardiologist check up where I was showing a bit of edema, my cardio did blood work to check for congestive heart failure. That was my motivation. I’ve since dropped 30 plus lbs and I’m no longer showing any edema.

Question is, what’s it going to take to light a fire under you? I don’t expect your numbers would trigger panic in any healthcare workers given what they likely see as far worse offenders. Especially with nice low cholesterol like you’re showing.

Thanks, Superman (heh). I know what you're saying. I know that any change of my body and habits is not just ultimately but is wholly up to me. My question though was not about needing a kick in the pants, but rather in regard to the numbers vs the concern of medical professionals. How would you react if your BP meter read 140/90? What would your doctor say? Same nonchalance as my doctors?

jyg;n885125 said:
How would you react if your BP meter read 140/90? What would your doctor say? Same nonchalance as my doctors?

being one who's got BP that's typically 125 / 80 I have asked this exact question before and been told that they'd become concerned and would consider treating it with drugs if I was unable to turn it around by my self.

I understood that high BP is also linked to ahlzimers but I can't recall where I read that ;-)

My health care professionals have been ambiguous about blood pressure. I had a Bentall's a bit over 2 years ago. At the time of my surgery although I was on medication my blood pressure was still unmanaged (~ 140 -145 / 90). My surgeon said "You must get that under control". At my last cardiologist appointment I was told only to be concerned if "you have a few readings where systolic is > 149".
My feeling is that my surgeon was right. After modifying my medication since surgery my blood pressure averages 130/80. I've been bringing that down further recently with less alcohol and moderate exercise (I was doing strenuous exercise but stopped feeling comfortable with that approach) .
I think the further I can bring down my BP the better.

Latest posts

Back