Is phosphorous a concern for tissue valve longevity?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Kidney patients have long suffered serious heart valve disease and atherosclrotic plaques due to high phosphorous levels. Dr. Rosen is suggesting that this is not limited to this extreme example and that in fact we should all be consciountious (sp) about this important nutrient. I do not ever recall much discussion on this. I checked my cron o meter phosphorous level and it was 240% of the RDA. Generally fruits and vegetables are low and meat, fish and dairy are higher, but there are many exceptions and of course processed foods can be very high in phosphorous. It should also be noted that bone and kidney health are compromised by high phosphorous diets and I can tell you getting phosphorous to near RDA Levels on a 95% vegan diet is not eay As I have recently attempted. Best I could do was get it down to 140% of the RDA.

So could phosphorous be one of the smoking guns and a confounder in all these nutrition studies on veganism vs meat eating etc? For instance vegans could be eating enormous amounts of this stuff or not depending on their specific choices.

High serum phosphorus concentrations in the general population
High serum phosphorus within the normal range (2.5-4.5 mg/dL) has recently been associated with increased incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in individuals with normal kidney function. Two studies conducted in the general population and in individuals with prior CVD have linked high-normal serum phosphorus concentrations (≥3.5 mg/dL) to a greater cardiovascular risk (16, 17). Additional observational studies found that serum phosphorus concentrations equal to or above 4 mg/dL were associated with a doubling of the risk of developing incident CKD and end-stage renal disease in individuals free of renal disease at study inception (18). In a prospective cohort study, which followed 4,005 healthy young adults for more than 15 years, higher serum phosphorus within the normal range was also associated with left ventricular hypertrophy, a condition often linked to adverse cardiovascular outcomes (19). In another study of 3,088 middle-aged healthy participants followed for over 17 years, serum phosphorus concentrations in the top quartile of the normal range were associated with a two-fold higher risk of heart failure compared to the lowest quartile (≥3.5 mg/dL vs. <2.9 mg/dL) (16). It is thought that vascular calcification, which may explain the relationship between high phosphorus and cardiovascular disease risk in CKD patients (see Hyperphosphatemia in subjects with kidney disease), contributes to this association in individuals with normal kidney function, even when their serum phosphorus is within the normal range and their intakes are below the tolerable upper intake level (UL) (20, 21). http://lpi.oregonsta...rals/phosphorus
http://calorierestrictiondietplan.c...ed-phosphorus-can-cause-artery-calcification/
Edited by mikeccolella, 23 November 2016 - 08:10 AM.

In the course of my 30 minute self-education (because no one had responded to your question and I'm vegan, have a bum valve, and am inordinately interested in this stuff), I would say a vegan diet is best for lowering serum phosphorus levels provided processed foods are avoided. For this reason, I'll bet your theory that serum phosphorus levels *are* a factor in the studies that find a vegan diet beneficial. You might try being careful about when your blood is drawn for testing as circadian rhythms affect levels (avoid mid afternoon and after midnight), and calcium supplements might help (but what kind matters). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3650565/

Back