Treat Atrial Fibrillation With Ablation and Pacemaker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi there! I thought I made the right choice and choose a tissue valve, but it only lasted 6 yrs . I went to emerg. found out I had a irregular heartbeat and felt sick. Long story short, I was told I would not get a chance to have a tissue valve again. I was upset and finally got over it. I can t do much of the normal activities and finding hard to even walk. I went to my GP for a new perscription of Metoprolol and he asked if the caudioligist had called. I said" No should I be worried"? He said "no I should be". I don t even know what he meant by that. He told me the results after my TEE test said that I would need, a mechanical valve, ablasion and a pacemaker. I was in shock. He was writing on his lap top to the Dr. who was suppose to call me. I don t have any idea what my results were and didn t know what questions to ask. That happened Friday so all weekend I felt sorry for myself. Now Monday no call and cannot find anything on the web. wondering if I need an ablasion and pacemaker because I don t have anything left of my tissue valve? And I caused this to happen....does anyone else have a simular story that could help me out. I tried to call my GP and no answer. TIA

Sorry I can't speak from experience but i do know someone that has had an ablation and they have no other heart problems so I think it's perhaps more the over active nodes need to be reduced rather than from your leaking valve.
A mechanical valve isn't the end of the world by any means , and theres people here much more clued up on pacemakers than me but they seem to be bearable enough in life too.
You can't change your decision to have a tissue valve first time up so don't kick yourself over it... sometimes i think i wish I'd had a tissue valve but then thats the emotional yin and yang side of something of this magnitude and I know I'm better off .

Hi alesia

Guest;n883232 said:
... I was told I would not get a chance to have a tissue valve again. I was upset and finally got over it.

and really, did you want to be reset back to facing this again in another 6 years? I was personally quite comfortable with having my mechanical last time (after 2 prior OHS)

I went to my GP for a new perscription of Metoprolol and he asked if the caudioligist had called. I said" No should I be worried"? He said "no I should be". I don t even know what he meant by that.

probably nothing more than he wants to do something, but can't because he needs the cardiologists say so ...

... wondering if I need an ablasion and pacemaker because I don t have anything left of my tissue valve?

I can't answer that part ... I don't know enough about ablations and why and what they do. I wouldn't think you'd need a pacemaker and I don't think that's related to the structural degradation of your tissue valve.

Myself I happen to think that mechanical valves offer quite a number of superior features over tissue valves.

Just try to sit back and not worry too much about the information at the moment. It will come in time.

Best Wishes

Hi,

I had a Double Ablation. My doctor went into 2 different chambers of the heart to stop to over active nerves. Each chamber had a different ablation procedure. One was to fix my A-Fib issue, and the other was to fix my A-flutter issue. It has been 9 months since my ablation, and have not had an a-fib or Aflutter issue since the procedures. In many cases, it does take a few times getting an ablation if the nerves fire back up, or if the doctor didn't get them all on the first ablation. I should also mention that there was no need for a pacemaker in my case, and no additional drugs were prescribed.

Rob

Thank you everyone! ts hard to hear information about your heart and you don t understand whats going on. It was one thing and now more. The sound of pacemaker really scared me as I never met anyone who had one. But if I can get back into my routine eventually then I am pretty lucky!

I can't comment directly as I haven't had A-Fib or an ablation, but my next-door neighbour has suffered from this greatly and has considerable experience. Also, I do have a pacemaker, and can say I have had no problem with that in the nearly 4 years so far.

Atrial Fibrillation is where the heart has an irregular beat, and is normally too fast. An ablation is a procedure that very carefully destroys the diseased area of your heart and interrupts abnormal electrical circuits to combat A-Fib. It's an option if medication such as a beta-blocker hasn't been effective or tolerated, and doesn't necessarily mean a pacemaker is needed - remember that a pacemaker is only a "safety net", ensuring that if your heart is not triggering enough beats on its own, the pacemaker steps in to send those signals instead. A pacemaker cannot slow down your heart beat.

Hope this helps.

Back