Bioprosthetic Valve, Aspirin& Gout

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm 4.5 years out from my AVR now, bioprosthetic , so I take aspirin. There are other contributing factors, but I am sure that the aspirin is the worst, consistent factor giving me regular soreness and then the occasional full blown gout attack just by adding in three or four units alcohol. I had forgotten to bring the 81mg tabs with me on a recent trip and my host only had the 325mg tabs. I took that for 3 days. What a colossal mistake.

I'm trying to gather some wisdom before I see my doctor. Can I take something for "thinning" other than aspirin for a common bioprosthetic valve (and aortic graft)? Would one of those aFib-only-and-not-for-mechanical-valve meds be a useful substitute? A very small warfarin dose? Am I wrong to opt for this rather than consider colchicine or allopurinol? I'd rather fight the gout at the source (including more diet modification and a substitute for aspirin) rather than add a whole other medication.

Thanks.

I was surprised to read about the connection you think happens with aspirin and gout, so did a little research on our NHS website, which says the following:

Things that can trigger a gout attack

You might get an attack if you're very stressed or have had an illness.

If you injure or bruise a joint and it's more painful than you would expect after a minor bump, it could be an attack coming on.

Get treatment straightaway if you feel an attack coming on.

Who gets gout

Gout sometimes runs in families.

It's more common in men, especially as they get older.

Other people at risk include:

• women after the menopause
  • people who take medicines such as diuretics (water tablets) for blood pressure, or have high levels of cholesterol
  • people who are overweight and who drink alcohol, especially beer
So no mention of Aspirin. Were there other changes whilst you were away? For example, was it a holiday and did you drink more alcohol (I know I do!)

I can't offer answers, I'm afraid - just other possibilities. I hope you are able to resolve it.

Incidentally, you can always cut larger tablets, with a knife or scissors if you don't have a pill cutter to hand.

Last edited:
As someone who has suffered from gout, and done a lot of research on the internet, I've personally never heard about aspirin as a risk factor.
I'm not on any blood thinners so can't talk about any interactions, but I finally found a solution for my gout, largely helped by icuredmygout.org. My 'solution' and preventative has been baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda (NEVER to be confused with baking powder).
I would take a level teaspoon before bedtime, roughly twice a week, as a preventative. This worked for years until 2 weeks ago, when I had a gout attack, totally out of the blue. This has mystified me and I can only put it down to my body being run down before imminently upcoming surgery (AVR).
I regularly have a can of beer (sometimes two) with my evening meal, and this has never posed a problem.

Have you seen that there's a possible link between gout and aortic stenosis ?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5357081/
Geoff

I have gout attacks but haven't had one in a couple of years. Stopped allopurinol a year ago. Use Colcrys or Indomethacin in event of a horrific attack. I've been put on 81mg Baby Aspirin twice a day due to a-fib risk.
No probs whatsoever. Due for AVR and 2 Bypasses in a couple of weeks. Oh......I switched over to a red cabernet blend instead of beer.

p.s. the Baby aspirin is the dissolvable type in cherry or orange flavor. Excellent.

Agian;n883171 said:
Plavix can be used instead of Aspirin.

Can you just pop over to the apothecary for that? Here in The States, Plavix requires a prescription and is quite costly compared to the lowly aspirin. As far as I know, over here, the only precaution the routinely give is that if the patient is prone to ulcers, aspirin may not be the way to go.

I've been taking the 81 mg "adult daily" aspirin for over 15 years without any discernible issues. Of course, what works for one may not be for another. . .

Yes Steve, you need a script for it here as well. It's a bit more potent than Aspirin, but it's an alternative if you can't tolerate Aspirin.

'apothecary' sounds like an old-fashioned term for a toilet.

Oh, you guys... ;)

Google "aspirin and gout" (without the quotes) and you will see that the first five hits make a clear connection, including an NIH study. (No offense to the NHS, LondonAndy, but I'll take a study over an advice page any day.), Those other negative factors which I foolishly admitted to have have long since been dealt with and I have successfully avoided acute attacks for some time. Yet the mild symptoms persist. If you still do not believe there is a commonly known correlation between aspirin and gout, or you refuse to believe that I am not a alcoholic, just skip to the next thread now :D

As to the cost of Plavix, the issue is not so much the cost versus aspirin, as it is the cost versus using a drug like allopurinol (anti-uric acid medication, gout prevention).

Anyhow, thanks for your input.

jyg;n883280 said:
Oh, you guys... ;)

we're bad ... but in a good way ;-)

Google "aspirin and gout" (without the quotes) and you will see that the first five hits make a clear connection,
... or you refuse to believe that I am not a alcoholic, just skip to the next thread now :D
Anyhow, thanks for your input.

seems solid. I don't take aspirin but I do find that just 2 beers nightly elevates my big toe "arthritis" alike symptoms (which I attribute to a mild form of gout as its rather a classic symptom), which red wine does not seem to do ... so for myself at least I feel that its likely I'm more sensitive to beer in that area.

Anyway ... there's nothing wrong with being an alcoholic as long as you're functional and happy ;-)

Reactions: jyg
Back