New to forum from Northern Nevada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathykc

Hello, my husband recently was told that his aortic valve regurgitation has progressed to a point where he should consider surgery for an aortic valve replacement. He has been tracking this issue since 2012. His only clinical symptom is periodic shortness of breath. We are thinking of getting a second opinion. Does anyone have experience with hospitals in the Bay Area that they can share? We are learning as much as possible and very much appreciate finding this community. Thanks so much!

Hi Kathy,

Are you talking about the San Francisco Bay Area? If so, Stanford is probably the most highly rated hospital in the area for heart surgery, and UCSF is highly rated as well. Those are not exactly close to Northern Nevada, though.

I live in the area but my experience is with Kaiser, so that's unlikely to be useful to you.

Yes, the San Francisco Bay Area. We will learn about getting a second opinion at Stanford. Thank you. Other than the US News and World Report Rankings, are there other ways to find and compare the best hospitals for cardiology? I know that the Cleveland Clinic is highly recommended but I think it would be hard to make that happen logistically. We assume that you would need to go to Cleveland for a pre-surgery appointment and then for the surgery too. Not sure how follow-up would go but I'll check their website. I should add that my husband just turned 66 years old and is very active (runner/hiker).

Thanks again for your advice.

The Cleveland Clinic has many patients who travel there for treatment, and you will see that their website has a lot of information about the logistics. If you search the archives of this forum you'll find a few people who have gone there for surgery.

You can also get a second opinion remotely from the Cleveland Clinic, for which you would have to pay out of pocket. There is information about this option at https://my.clevelandclinic.org/online-services/myconsult.

Other hospital comparison sites I have heard of are http://www.castleconnolly.com/ (which may require a fee) and https://www.healthgrades.com/, but I haven't used these so I can't say whether they are helpful.

You haven't said anything about your husband's condition that makes him sound like an unusually difficult case surgically, so he may do just fine with your local surgeons and hospitals. Heart valve surgery is a pretty common procedure these days and the risks are usually low.

Had my first one done 2012 at Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas (air lifted from small AZ hospital) Probably the best care I have ever had but sadly the valve only lasted a little over four years (porcine) We ended up in MT and was evaluated by team in Billings and they would have done it had I not started having liver problems and diagnosed with PBC. I transferred to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN as result. ON-X mechanical valve was put in November 1, 2016.

Yes, we had to make two trips. After the surgery I was able to do follow up care in Billings as they have a working relationship with Mayo. Many places work together with Mayo, so you may find that works for you also. It was worth it to me.

Like Zoltana said it is getting to be a more common surgery. Question the doctors, take what you want out of it, and then make your decision from there.

Wish you the best and keep us posted.

Thank you both for your helpful information. Even though my husband has had 3 echocardiograms (the first in 2012), the aortic valve was not the main issue, but a unspecified right bundle-branch block. So the increase in the aortic valve regurgitation from mild to severe in the last echocardiogram (4/4/18) was a shock. As you might infer from my posts, I'm focusing on the logistical side of things, and my husband is studying the medical options and decisions.

The Cleveland Clinic website was helpful. The ability to get a second opinion online is an interesting concept, but right now we are waiting to hear back from Stanford. It's preferable to us to be able to drive and not fly to get the medical help and surgery. We just learned about the pre-surgery tests that will be required- TEE and heart catheterization. I guess there is the choice of having those done locally or at the hospital where the surgery will be done. There is still a lot to learn. If anyone has any good reference books, please let me know. I guess most people get their information online now though.

Once again, I appreciate your advice.

If you're up to driving to Southern California, check out Dr Vaughn Starnes (he did Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jimmy Kimmel 's baby) at the University of Southern California.

Google him to research how amazing this guy is and how good his dedicated cardiac team is.

Top notch care from everyone from check in to check out. They got me in and out of my first surgery of any kind in four days, with zero issues.

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'll definitely learn about this USC option. Glad that it worked out well for you!

On a related issue, when on Medicare, and you visit 2-3 cardiologists or surgeons in order to make a decision, are these considered "second opinions" or doctor appointments? How do you ensure that Medicare will cover the appointments?

Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back