Second AVR -- unexpected, but doing great

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I remember sort of idling on the take-off runway with you back in 2006! :eek:)
I want to respond to your queries..... I have been having echos every year. My most recent echo (9 months before flail event) showed some calcification, but mostly, as it turns out, failed to show something might be amiss due to scar tissue build up. Maybe some people grow more scar tissue? I know that my scar has always been keloid and quite visible (ha! and this one is not 3 inches longer and crooked). I, too, was noticing that at the top of the hill I was breathing harder. I had started walking with a very tall and athletic woman who really pounded the pavement and I was a little worn out, but okay on flat ground. I don't remember doing anything special that would have caused that leaflet to break open and stick. No heavy lifting, no special exercising. Just one gorgeous summer night, walking around a fairgrounds to a concert -- I had to stop every 20 feet. Sitting through the concert I was fine. But as soon as I got up to walk.... no pain, no gasping... just the body kind of saying, "hey! stop, you fool!".
Anyway, feel free to ask questions. I'll do better about getting back to the forum sooner.

Marguerite53;n882178 said:
Pellicle: thanks! you seem to be very active around here and it's been fun reading all your responses.

Thanks

Yeah, I don't watch TV, and there is only so much of the day I can Ski during :)

Here's a shot from today

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.mu-43.com\/attachments\/26740318388_13ea1dfbbf_k-jpg.620835\/"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Hi Steve (aka former Mayor of the Waiting Room)
Thanks for your supportive words!
Wow -- heart stopping for 30 seconds!!!!!!! I can't even imagine how unsettling that must have been for you! I do remember reading about your issues back then. Isn't it funny that unless you actually experience something similar, it's hard to relate to all the particulars of another's experience. Now I get it! I was told that for me, they had to go through so much scar tissue to remove and replace, that they were bound to upset the electrical area of the heart (or even not always be able to see exactly where they were on the heart due to the scar tissue). My aFib/flutter was hopefully, just a response to the surgery and not a long lasting situation, since it was, in fact, the surgery which brought it on. I'm on 12.5 mg of metoprolol twice a day (do you take it twice a day?). I'm not sure if I'll stay on that or go back to my former BP med, Diovan. I don't care. I remember Atenolol from my first surgery used to make me miserable. This metoprolol is like a non-issue for me. What I do hate is the Warfarin, but that's only because my hair is falling out (and that could really just be post-surgery stress related -- or my age!). Anyway, I should be off the warfarin in a week. My atrial flutter has not returned.
So, funny thing about our valves. I glanced at your profile and saw that you had my valve. But wait! Yours is 7 years old! My first thought was..... how fresh was mine??! So I got in touch with Edwards and got some interesting (only to me, probably) information. My first valve was implanted in April 2006. It had been manufactured on November 16, 2005. Enh....not too bad. This current valve was implanted Sept 1, 2017. It was manufactured in September of 2016. Its "use by" date was August 2020. So they do have an interestingly long shelf life!
Glad to hear that the 3rd generation valves are strong. 3 has always been my lucky number, so hopefully that will relate to 3rd generation and not 3 heart valve replacements!! (I am, also, 3X bovine tissue implantation at this point -- valve #1, embolic stroke to the carotid = bovine tissue angioplasty, valve #2)
:eek:)

Marguerite - I don’t think I ever answered your question about my metoprolol dosage. I now take one 25 mg tablet daily, of the time-release version of the drug. That way I only need to take it once daily and still get the even absorption of meds over the 24 hour period. I’ve gotten used to it, but I imagine that my exercise tolerance might be better without it. Of course, without it, my likelihood of tachycardia or afib would go up.

I hope my 3rd generation Edwards valve goes beyond 10 years because if not, I’d better stay good friends with my surgeon, being at years already. . .

Marguerite53;n882178 said:
Paleowoman: Thanks for your kind words. Basically, the valve wore out. For all the medical and Edwards people I spoke with, 10 years is " what they're guaranteed for". So I got the feeling that lasting over 10 years is pretty awesome and watchfulness around 10 years is important. I'm not terribly well versed in how the body works, but it did seem like my body was able to give signals.
Hi Marguerite53 The current cardiac surgeon I'm under (not the one who did my AVR who I would stay well clear of !) also told me that these valves last an average of 10 years. I've got "moderate patient prosthesis mismatch" so I'm having six monthly echos since AVR four years ago. I don't know if the PPM is going to make a difference to the longevity of the valve, but the pressure gradient is already in the upper moderate range and the valve area as small as when I had surgery, though the leaflets are absolutley fine.

Hope you're continuing to do well !

Last edited:
Goodness, Marguerite, you came back with a bang! What a story! I haven't been active in the past few years, but checked in today during some serious downtime and saw someone else mention you. You always had such kind and thorough posts in the past--as always around here, sorry for the reason but good to see you again.

Best wishes in days and years to come.

Back