Second AVR -- unexpected, but doing great

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marguerite53

Premium Level User
Hello! I’ve been meaning to update the forum about my cardiac health so here goes. I recently had a second AVR to replace my replacement valve. My new bovine tissue valve is functioning well and though I’m mildly disappointed that I missed getting the newest generation valve, and missed out on TAVR — I’m still here and doing great!

The particulars: December 2016 after my annual echo, cardiologist told me it looked like 2-5 more years on the first valve and then I’d need a replacement. He said there was a lot of scar tissue and it was somewhat difficult to report on some parts of the echo.

Fast forward to late August 2017. Suddenly on a Friday evening I didn’t seem to be able to walk more than 20 feet without wanting to stop. I was not gasping for air — I just had no air. I got up the next morning and took my blood pressure. It was very low for me (90/50 or something). I called the weekend doctor who advised me to lay low and see regular GP on Monday if no improvement. Went in to see GP on Monday. She said the valve maybe sounded noisier. Oxygen % was okay. BP was a little more normal, did bloodwork, no heart attack, no failure. I was floating between cardiologists (insurance change), but she called my presumed new one who said, book an echo. I went home and did that. First available was 2 weeks out. The next day (a Tuesday) one little incident in the morning caused me to turn to my husband and say — this is ridiculous — take me to the ER.

I kept requesting an echo but the ER doctor had other things in mind first (blood, X-ray). Finally he ordered an echo. Again, not enough info in the results. But the blood work came back showing heart failure (just 24 hours later than the first test). They checked me in to the hospital and gave me a room. They scheduled a double angiogram for Wednesday (they went in through each wrist to see both sides of the heart). Those results revealed a “valve flail” (f-l-a-i-l). One of the leaflets on my tissue valve was frozen open. Severe regurgitation. They scheduled me for open heart surgery. Because there was no way for them to gauge the extent of damage/disintegration of the valve, they could not do trans-catheter procedure. Thursday I was transported to the heart hospital across town. Friday, Sept 1st, 7am my valve was replaced with the current model, Edwards Perimount Magna Ease 3300 TFX 23mm.

Picture perfect surgery. Easier than the first time (I was actually healthier, overall, going into it). I didn’t have time to get stressed, either! Sitting up right away, walking the 2nd day. 6 days later they were literally going over the discharge paperwork when I went into AFib.

They put you on an amioderone drip. They don’t really tell you what this might cause you. In most people it just quietly works. But…. for me, I was sitting up in a chair when a lemony smell took over and my head started to dip a little. Suddenly 6 people came bursting into the room all at once. Apparently my heart had paused for 7 seconds… quite a bit longer than normal! But, that’s the point of the amioderone — to kick the heart back into rhythm. Immediately they stopped the amioderone drip (no more drama for me). Then you wait 24-36 hours to see if you’ve kicked the AFib. Yes! But then I went into Atrial Flutter. Not good, either. So they scheduled a cardioversion for the next day (they also do a TEE first to be sure there have been no clots forming). Then you wait again. Finally! I get sent home on warfarin, with Lovenox shots (yeouch) and an Rx for daily high doses of amioderone. 12 total days in the hospital.

After several weeks they decrease the amioderone. Your body should be able to handle the reduction (as you taper off the med completely) but mine was not — my heart started dancing again. Some people don’t feel flutter or Afib. I did and it made me feel more ill than I can remember. Time for 2nd TEE/cardioversion (Sept. 29). So far, now mid February, flutter has not returned.

Recovery of the wound and everything else was without incident. Not much pain at all — I only used pain meds to sleep at night for a week after I got home and then switched to simple tylenol. Hopefully I’ll be off the warfarin in another month since the absence of the heart arrhythmias means my stroke risk needn’t be an issue. I will probably continue taking metoprolol — minimum dose. I think the metoprolol and amioderone used together is a rather new protocol for post surgery arrhythmias.

I must admit that I didn’t really know that my first valve would or could go down this way. I was diligent with my echos and cardiologist visits. I thought I was on top of it. I didn’t realize that valves deteriorate like that. I feel very lucky that I was home and not on some exotic vacation, and that I was educated enough to realize when something was amiss.

I’m feeling quite fine about all of it, actually. It’s great to be here!!!

Hi

Marguerite53;n881791 said:
Hello!.... I recently had a second AVR to replace my replacement valve. My new bovine tissue valve is functioning well and though I’m mildly disappointed that I missed getting the newest generation valve, and missed out on TAVR — I’m still here and doing great!
I must admit that I didn’t really know that my first valve would or could go down this way. I was diligent with my echos and cardiologist visits. I thought I was on top of it. I didn’t realize that valves deteriorate like that. I feel very lucky that I was home and not on some exotic vacation, and that I was educated enough to realize when something was amiss.

I’m feeling quite fine about all of it, actually. It’s great to be here!!!

glad you're doing well and hope you have a smooth recovery :)

Wow! You had quite a time there! Glad all issues were resolved and you are on the mend. Good to know that a tissue valve can go “bad” that quickly. I have an Edwards and my echos have been good but now I will be alert to any warning signs. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Margueirite - Goodness that must have been so scary for you for your valve to go in such a sudden way. I looked up valve flail - did they tell you the cause of it or it that just one of the ways a bioprosthetic valve can deteriorate ? Good to hear you're doing well now !

Margaret,
Sorry about this duplicate posting with nothing in the posts. I deleted 2 of the 3 and now the original is missing.
It is great to hear from you, but sorry you had to go through this a second time around with a few bumps in the road. However, happy to hear the actual surgery itself was better than the first. :)
Hope this is smooth sailing from here out.
I, too will pay attention to signs and symptoms with this valve...going into year 9 and hoping it lasts a while longer.
All the very best to you and feel free to drop in anytime. Always good to hear from you.

Wow what a story! You must have been so scared. Glad you got it fixed and can move on with your life! Go and buy your Ubiquinol and curcumin and keep your heart healthy!

Well, Marguerite, you sure know how to rattle the plans, don't you? I'm sure that wasn't your intention, and I'm glad it is settling down for you.

I, too, have the Edwards 3300 TFX, but mine is now almost 7 years old. I'll keep you posted on how it does over the long haul.

I also had crazy rhythm issues after surgery, but mine was so drastic (heart would stop for 20-30 seconds at a time) that I ended up with a pacemaker. No long-term problem, just took a while to get used to it and get it adjusted for me.

After my valve surgery I had both amioderone and metoprolol (beta blocker) for the first few months, along with warfarin. At the 3-month point, we stopped the amioderone and warfarin, as my rhythm had settled down well. I still take the beta blocker, but have twice negotiated dose reductions with my cardio. My initial dosage was, IIRC, 100 mg/day. Too much. Made me feel like I was dragging a sled full of rocks around all day. 50 mg was better, but still felt sluggish. For the last 6 years or so, I've taken 25 mg/day, and tolerate this well enough. It still limits my max heart rate under exercise, but my cardio and I are accepting a working limit of about 145 BPM. He is just more comfortable with that than allowing me back to the 160's - especially as I get older (now 70 and still in the gym 5 days a week).

Hang in there. These 3rd-generation Edwards valves are said to have pretty good freedom from explant statistics, so we may be OK for a while.

Margueirite, you got your first valve replacement about the same time I did. I got a bovine Edwards valve in March, 2006. My valve is showing signs of deterioration and will probably need replacing soon. Were you getting echos once a year or every 6 months before your valve went? I didn't know it could happen that fast. I had really hoped this valve would last much longer. It sounds like you had a scary experience. I'm glad you are through all that now and can put it behind you. Had you already decided that you would replace your first tissue valve with another tissue valve when all this happened? We are about the same age and although I don't think I can avoid another surgery, I don't want to try this again in another 12 years. I wish TAVR was more tried and true at this point or that they had found a way to have a mechanical valve without warfarin. Congratulations on your new valve! I know you are so glad to be on the other side.

tigerlily;n881987 said:
I wish TAVR was more tried and true at this point or that they had found a way to have a mechanical valve without warfarin.
tigerlily There is now a new tissue valve out from Edwards, called Resilia, which is supposed to last as long as a mechanical valve. It was approved last year in Europe and is being used even in younger patients. It has just been approved in the US - a couple of forum members have been lucky enough to get it. When Marguerite wrote "I’m mildly disappointed that I missed getting the newest generation valve" that was the Resilia valve she meant. Key in Resilia in forum search for info and discussion on it. Looks very promising from the tests that I have read and heard about.

Paleowoman;n881990 said:
tigerlily There is now a new tissue valve out from Edwards, called Resilia, which is supposed to last as long as a mechanical valve. It was approved last year in Europe and is being used even in younger patients. It has just been approved in the US - a couple of forum members have been lucky enough to get it. When Marguerite wrote "I’m mildly disappointed that I missed getting the newest generation valve" that was the Resilia valve she meant. Key in Resilia in forum search for info and discussion on it. Looks very promising from the tests that I have read and heard about.

Thanks Paleowoman. I really do want to research this valve. I told my surgeon about it last Sept. but he wasn't impressed. When I told him it's supposed to last longer he said, "that's what they all say." Hopefully, now that it's becoming more available, he will change his mind.

tigerlily;n881994 said:
I really do want to research this valve. I told my surgeon about it last Sept. but he wasn't impressed. When I told him it's supposed to last longer he said, "that's what they all say." Hopefully, now that it's becoming more available, he will change his mind.
Hi tigerlily - here's an article written last June in Cardiovascular News: https://cardiovascularnews.com/firs...ces-inspiris-resilia-aortic-valve-take-place/ Seems to be more and more surgeons opting for this valve since then in the UK.

Paleowoman;n881990 said:

P.S. Paleowoman. The Resilia tissue valve has now been approved in Canada, too. :)
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...silia-valve-approved-in-canada-671072853.html

Hello all! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I was planning to go through and individually comment, but now I fear too much time has gone by, so I'll combine all but Steve's (epstns) and Tigerlily's.

Pellicle: thanks! you seem to be very active around here and it's been fun reading all your responses. I look forward to seeing more from you ;o)

Honeybunny: Hi! Definitely I would be very alert to whatever your doctors have told you are warning signs. Mostly, the abrupt change in anything is reason to call a doctor, I would say. And go with your gut....I honestly feel like I got put off some, but much of that was due to my reluctance to commit to admitting that things just weren't feeling right. It actually took a spider (the event I alluded to) to show me I was in dire straits. :eek:)

Paleowoman: Thanks for your kind words. Basically, the valve wore out. For all the medical and Edwards people I spoke with, 10 years is " what they're guaranteed for". So I got the feeling that lasting over 10 years is pretty awesome and watchfulness around 10 years is important. I'm not terribly well versed in how the body works, but it did seem like my body was able to give signals. Clearly, my running out of air after walking 15 feet was a red alert. The blood work to determine that I was in heart failure was important. It changed from no to yes in 24 hours! As soon as the ER got the blood work on heart failure, they booked me into a hospital room. Then, they had to get pictures (angiograms) to determine precisely what was causing the failure.

Ottagal: Hello! Nice to see you, too! Feel free to ask me anything. As ever, this forum is a godsend in so many ways and I love to share and help however I can.

NotHuman: Hello. Thanks for your supportive words. I wasn't scared once they told me it was the valve. I knew what I was in for already, so it was just such a relief to get an answer. Once I get off the warfarin I will look into more of the heart healthy supplements. Hoping to be ending warfarin in 10 days. Woohoo!

ForeverThankful: thanks so much for your kind words.

Spartangator: Thank you! I've always enjoyed coming here to VR.org so I'll be around.

Back