Rising Blood Sugar... (Agian please read)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agian;n880426 said:
$400AU or 300US per fortnightly injection.

26 fortnights in a year... About $8000 per year? Damn, that's like HALF what I'd have to pay! Gotta love how Pharma gouges Americans! I'd pay that.

And did your doc give you any static about getting on the PCSK9 inhibitor? Or did they go along with it? Or did you even need a doc to get involved?

Agian;n880426 said:
Pel, I don't need the truth when I have Sai Baba.

for most things I'm content with observed reality ... with respect to my aortic hitchhikers I want to know for sure if they are there and if they are how to kill them. I'm making advances on both lines.

Nocturne;n880423 said:
Here is my plan to tackle this:

1. I'm going to stop taking the niacin and get myself a glucosometer. We used to have one in the house for my wife's mother but apparently it got lost.

2. I'll monitor my FBG for a week or two (it will hopefully begin to drift down without the niacin) and see where it stabilizes
Once you have the glucosometer you can aso use it to test your post prandial blood glucose, that is at 1 and 2 hours after eating, and to isolate which foods are raising your blood glucose because once you've done that it will help your FBG levels.

FBG isn't the be all and end all of your body's status re blood glucose. HbA1c is the test used these days to show your average blood glucose over the previous three months. Using the meter will give you a day to day idea. Eg, my HbA1c is now in the non-diabetic range as I keep such good control - if I stop controlling carbs my HbA1c would rise. My FBG, on the other hand, can still be highish as the FBG is indicating how the body reacts to the glucose that the liver makes first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink - everyone's liver produces some glucose first thing to get the person up and running so to speak, but if you are pre-diabetic or fully diabetic, then your body doesn't deal with that gucose by releasing sufficient insulin from the pancreas (or if your insulin resistant that screws things up another way). The reason my FBG is sometimes still higher than a non-diabetic's even though my control is good is becasue I can't control what my liver produces each morning - it's making more glucose than I would normally get from a meal and I am slsightly insulin deficient.

Agian;n880429 said:
No, he suggested it. He's right into reversing CAD and had actually signed up patients for the trial.

Good Lord. I was lucky to get a doc (after two other tries) who would TEST Lp(a). And she did try to get me onto the current Ionis trial. But she just waved off the thought of a PCSK9.

You are lucky to live in an area where they are so (relatively) cheap. And lucky to have such a (relatively) low Lp(a) score to begin with,

My oldest turns 18 in a few months, which means an end to child support (he lives with me over 99% of the time and I pay his mother -- gotta love America). It will be like getting a $5000 a year raise. I would happily spend that and another $3000 to boot on getting a PCSK9.

Man. You are lucky.

Back