Any CVA/stroke survivors?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HennaD

I am not sure if this is the right platform to discuss about post CVA/stroke related issues. But I was curious if there were any CVA survivors among us (people having undergone valve replacement).

I suffered a stroke back in 2004, left me paralysed on the left side. I recovered fully from the same and have been on hypertension & warfarin since then. Got my MVR with a mechanical valve in April, 2017. Since, the onset of winter this year, I have been feeling some pain and stiffness in the left arm restricting full movement. Could it be CVA related or should I check with my cardiologist? Any suggestions on how to deal with the same?

I had a CVA 40+ years ago due to not taking my warfarin for several days. I have aches and pains due to changing weather....none of which are anything like the feelings I had when I suffered the CVA. If you have a concern it is best to call your doc.....he can put your fears to rest or look into your issue if warranted.

Yep, 30 years ago, on my 39th birthday. I was working out in a gym at noon, running a few laps on the indoor track, doing some weights, pulls-ups, whatever, when all of a sudden I felt dizzy and confused. It was said later that a small chunk of plaque probably flicked off my damaged valve and lodged somewhere in the brain. One of the guys there said that when he spoke to me, my reply was garbled like I had just come from the dentist and still numb. I went to the locker room, opened the combination lock, took a shower, got in my car and drove home instead of back to work.

The blockage was in the speech center only. I found I could not write or speak properly. My wife got me to the ER, they pumped me full of warfarin and kept me in bed for 3 days. There were no further repercussions except that I would still fumble over a word once in a while for a couple weeks. I went back to work out in the same gym one week later.

I never had a recurrence, never any complications, or restrictions, but they sent me to a cardiologist to keep an eye on that valve, which I had replaced 4 years later. I'm still with the same Dr 30 years later.

dick0236;n880354 said:
I have aches and pains due to changing weather....none of which are anything like the feelings I had when I suffered the CVA.

Aches and pains in the CVA affected regions? is muscle spasm in winter normal?

SumoRunner;n880355 said:
The blockage was in the speech center only. I found I could not write or speak properly. My wife got me to the ER, they pumped me full of warfarin and kept me in bed for 3 days. There were no further repercussions except that I would still fumble over a word once in a while for a couple weeks. I went back to work out in the same gym one week later.

Lucky you could drive back safely. Shouldn't have taken that chance.

For me, my first symptom was that I fainted at a gathering in the neighborhood. Did not realise what was happening. I was brought home and I slept, when I woke up my face on the left side was drooping - couldn't talk, couldn't walk - paralysed on the left side. It was an ischemic stroke. Remained in the hospital for about 10 days. Very lucky to have recovered fully.

HennaD;n880367 said:
when I woke up my face on the left side was drooping - couldn't talk, couldn't walk - paralysed on the left side. It was an ischemic stroke. Remained in the hospital for about 10 days. Very lucky to have recovered fully.

very lucky ... I'm glad you are still here ... did you determine a "cause" ... for instance inadequate AC?

pellicle;n880399 said:
AnitCoagulation therapy; INR too low

This was my first heart related incidence. The cause was that I had a rheumatic heart disease which was not known to me prior to this. So, I was put on AC after this only. Shockingly, the doctor did not suggest annual cardiac check ups (only suggested AC therapy with monthly INR monitoring) and my valve related issues just blew up in my face this year in March when my heart went into a failure (BPM @ 180-210) and was brought to sinus rhythm after administering DC shock twice. Got an MVR done in April.

Latest posts

Back