My AVR surgery is set- now it's real

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfwlaw

My husband and I traveled from Birmingham AL to Chicago to have a surgical consult with Dr. Patrick McCarthy at Northwestern Memorial last week. Dr. McCarthy recommended that I not wait longer than 3 months to have my first AVR. This was not what I expected and now I am in a whirlwind of making arrangements and presurgical testing appointments. I am very confident of the surgeon I have chosen for this surgery and I can thank this forum for that. I would love to have recommendations of the best way to prepare for surgery-like what to expect that very first week following surgery.

Thanks everyone. I read this site daily although I almost never post. I suppose I will have more to offer once I am on the other side.

Hi cfwlaw - in the weeks prior to surgery, apart from trying to get on with life and keeping myself well, Christmas intervened and I wanted to enjoy that too, I spent time preparing things for when I got home afterwards. Working out where I was going to sleep for example, you may have read many of us had problems the first few weeks sleeping lying down in a regular bed, I slept propped upright on our sofa for example - I'd prepared for that beforehand so there was no faffing around the day I got home. I also prepared for the hospital stay, I got a small suitable locakble case, I got clothing which undid easily at the front, loose clothing too, and a nice set of PJs, that type of thing, oh and wet wipes to help keep me fresh, little things like that. I loaded my iphone with music that I liked - though in the eventuality I don't think I listened to it. I made a card of a photo of DH and DS to keep with me by my bedside. There's a useful sticky on forum here: 'what to take to hospital - a checklist: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...3616-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

I hope for a smooth textbook recovery for you. Looking forward to you posting post surgery to say hi again.

Best Wishes

cfwlaw - I have nothing but the best things to say about Dr. McCarthy and the whole staff at Northwestern. I am very sure you will be in very capable hands. Of course, you've met The Doctor. He may not have the best bedside manner, but he does have some of the very best skills for AVR in the country, maybe the world. (Just the opinion of a very happy patient - no other connection here.)

Much of the first week following surgery will be spent in the hospital. Most patients spend a day or two in the coronary intensive care unit, followed by a few days in the coronary step-down unit. In both places, they have more nurses and better equipment to keep a close watch on you during those critical first few days.

I shouldn't spend a lot of time telling you all about my first week, as I had quite a few post-op complications and had quite the rough time at first. I was not the model patient. In addition, I imagine that some of the protocols may have changed since my surgery, which was almost 7 years ago (yikes!).

I'm sure you will have the usual milestones like removal of your breathing tube, removal of temporary pacer wires and drains, your walks around the hospital unit, and so forth. How you feel and react to all this is individual. Some folks report that they gradually begin to feel like themselves during that first week, but for me it took a while longer. Didn't matter in the long run. . . I'm doing fine now and have been so for years. Don't be surprised when you feel as weak as a kitten, no matter what shape you were in before. That is your body's natural protective mechanism, and your strength will return - just give it time.

Thank you all for the responses and the run down on what to expect and take with me to hospital. I have been working on preparations for my return home. I have to admit all the pre-surgical appointments and paperwork have been overwhelming this week. But I am on the downside of that as well. I am looking forward to maybe just focusing on my healthy brain/thoughts and body during the remainder of my time in the waiting room. Again thank you all and have a wonderful and blessed holiday season!

If you're talking about the first week at home, be sure to set up your house. If you have access to a nice big recliner that doesn't take much effort to recline, you'll want that in a place that you want to spend time. I slept in mine for quite a while. Doesn't hurt to have a nice little table close by or access to a laptop either. Not that you'll be glued to one spot - but when you need to rest, you need to rest. Not a bad idea to have some meals prepped and ready to go as well. Out of the freezer, into the oven.

The kids school did a meal thing for us. With four kids at the time and a working wife - it was great. The kids would bring dinner home and it was one less thing my wife had to worry about. It wasn't too long before I was up and about and making dinner - but you never know when you may have a setback. I developed pancreatitis, for example, about three weeks post up. My ability to contribute around the house went backward real quick until that got resolved.

Good idea to have a line up of drivers too for appointments and such for follow up in case your spouse isn't available. We had some generous neighbors who helped in that regard.

I slept on the couch for the first week home with a table for the phone, remote, etc. I also kept my toothbrush downstairs. I was able to go upstairs once a day for a shower.
hopefully your friends will start a meal train. It was a huge help.
Also, buy a cheap very light running bra. And zipper front sweatshirts.
Best of luck. We are here for any questions!

The first few days at least will be in intensive care, so not much to prepare for that I think, as you everything will be looked after! Not sure if you have wards over in the US, but here in the UK the next stage after intensive care is a high dependency ward which is quite open plan. I would definitely recommend taking ear plugs, unless the hospital provides them. I found it very difficult to sleep in that environment with alarms and noises all night. Apparently my hospital provided ear plugs as part of a pre-admission pack, but my surgery was on an emergency basis so I didn't get that.

This might seem a bit over-the-top, but I was told the biggest risk to a patient after (any) surgery is infection, and so when I was eventually discharged from hospital I put some hand cleanser that doesn't need water on a table near my front door, and a note that said to visitors "please wash your hands".

I definitely agree about the recliner - invaluable.

Finally, I would recommend getting some "Bio oil" to rub into the scar once it has healed. At a bar-b-q recently I sat alongside a guy who had heart surgery a few months before I did, and his scar was very visible but mine is almost invisible. It does take a long time to work, I rubbed it in most days for almost a year, but am glad I did.

Back