Aortic Valve Replacement + Mitral Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1959

Dear Forum members,

Can anyone advise if anyone has had this done, and if so how successful it is

What are the risks as compared with just AVR or MVR as single operations

Looking for help and guidance.

Just have mitral repair which in my case has lasted 15 years so far on a disclosed likelihood of lasting 10-15 years. In my case it was a transcatheter repair so a pretty clear choice even with the clear understanding it would not be permanent. Much easier procedure and recovery than OHS. If I were having open heart surgery for AVR anyway, I guess I'd ask if the mitral repair would be expected to be as durable as whatever aortic valve they're putting in, which sounds like what you're asking here. I don't recall anyone on the group having that combo, though a few have had AVR + MVR together.

I just had this procedure in May. My aortic valve was replaced with a mechanical valve and my surgeon and cardiologist decided to try and repair my mitral. From what he said he was a bit torn during surgery because he wasn't able to get a perfect repair. But he consulted with several doctors and decided the repair was good enough. I'm only 5 months out and I'm kind of upset that I don't feel any better. I'm still getting shortness of breath at rest sometimes and retaining fluid. I see my cardio again in January and will be bringing this up to him. (I have parachute mitral valve and regurgitation, in case you were wondering.)

hi dreamy885,
i just finished a few months of meeting with doctors regarding the possibility of my father (age 84) having a mitre-clip procedure done. he ended up not being a candidate and i realize this is for older folks who are unable to undergo typical mitral repair or replacement, but it's new. He had had his mitral valve repaired a number of years ago through a minimally invasive method.
His surgeon, who was tops in his field, has since passed away.
This was a very easy procedure for a younger person, but he was on coumadin and it took more days than he had expected, simply to regulate his inr. might be worth looking into.
wishing you the best. please keep us posted!
sylvia

Mike1959, the risks are the same for both, but you may want to consult with the surgeon on the difference of surgical techniques for each one. I was 36 when I had AVR surgery and have a St. Judes' valve and on Warafrin(generic of Coumadin). Good luck with you chose. I have been fine since surgery, which was in 2001. Hugs for today.

Mike1959, the risks are the same for both, but you may want to consult with the surgeon on the difference of surgical techniques for each one. I was 36 when I had AVR surgery and have a St. Judes' valve and on Warafrin(generic of Coumadin). Good luck with you chose. I have been fine since surgery, which was in 2001. Hugs for today.

Personally I wouldn't do these in separate surgeries, OHS is something I never want to have to do again. Having said that, since my repair wasn't perfect I'll likely need surgery again anyway :(

If you’re planning to replace your aortic valve with a mechanical valve, I’ would replace both at the same time for the same reason as dreammy855 said above!

My surgeon suggested to repair my mitral valve and replace my aortic valve. I opted to have both replaced. If I had to be on Warfarin for one, I’d be on it for two rather than being opened again!

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

Thank you all for the replies --- very helpful

see the cardio again in 6 months --- but looks like AVR and Mitral Repair or AVR and MVR --

Will go mechanical this time for the AVR as tissue valve I had in 2012 has started to calcify

Suppose I'm in the waiting room again.

Thanks for all the advice and kind wishes.

My cardiologist never really acted like it was an option for me to just replace the mitral instead of repair. The surgeon said if he wasn't happy with how the repair turned out that he'd replace it. He made it sound as though having two mechanical valves wasn't something they liked having to do.

I'm freshly re-valved, (AVR) and returned home from the hospital on Friday. During all of my testing leading up to the valve, the results kept including mentions of Mitral valve regurgitation and calcification. I repeatedly asked the Drs why they weren't addressing this and was told, the AVR would clear this up. I guess I can't worry about it now. We'll see what happens in the near further with additional testing. Best of luck.

Back