The old members

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm about a 10-year member. I drop in less and less frequently. Last spring I sort of moved from "Heart Problem World" to "Breast Cancer World". I much prefer the former, in which even after the second AVR, my situation was recover and then get on with life. In "Breast Cancer World" apparently the only way to prove you're cancer-free is to die of something else. Actually I'm getting along ok, and having just turned 70 am not completely sure how to separate the side effects of hormone therapy from aging. I came here today from a kind of nostalgia after being overwhelmed with discussion of side effects on breastcancer.org.

Been a member of the forum for about 6 years
Have had long spells without logging on..just getting on with life

the day of reckoning is drawing ever closer though....with that ascending aortic at 4.9cm, I'm close to surgery time (probably Bentall procedure)

I drop in occasionally as well and comment when I see something I can add to, but have found that what I have to say has been said already in the thread. I'll keep dropping as as I can and add where it seems appropriate. This site this certainly been a help to me. Next week marks six years since my AVR and all is going well!

The "old days" made this what it is today. The decrease in activity is likely directly linked to my inability to put as much time into the site as I would like. Still, it continues to live on and benefit the lives of thousands in spite of my inattention. And that thanks goes to ALL OF YOU

:Face-Smile:

Reactions: Eva
Well, if you put it THAT way, Hank, let me add my/our heartfelt thanks to you (and to Michelle) for creating and maintaining this home away from home that we have come to love.

epstns;n879441 said:
Well, if you put it THAT way, Hank, let me add my/our heartfelt thanks to you (and to Michelle) for creating and maintaining this home away from home that we have come to love.

I big ditto from me, too! Thank you, Hank for keeping this wonderful and informative site up and running.

I've been online since the beginning of network time and have been a member of many forums on several different subjects. I don't recall when I connected here, perhaps 2006-7, but one thing I have noticed over and over is that the purely textual bulletin board format has fallen out of favor as instantaneous feedback, visual style social media has risen.

Also with old-timers there comes a point where they have pretty much said all they can say about their own experience and eventually get a bit tired of responding to the same inquiries over and over from newbies. It's not that they become uncaring or disinterested, merely worn down by the repetition.

Jack, I quite understand the feeling that you describe, but I sort of think of it in a different manner. I kind of fear the day when I feel that my comments are no longer relevant to the newcomers. Techniques and technology change rapidly, and the things we went through related to our surgeries may no longer be the way things are happening now. Once that takes place, I will no longer be able to offer any medical/technical advice, but I think I will still stay around to offer moral support to those who follow us.

I think this fulfills a personal need of my own, and I understand that it may not be so for everyone. I/we welcome the continued participation of all the old-timers in any capacity that they feel is appropriate. (Note that I do not "officially" speak for anyone else, but the feeling of welcome I believe, is shared by others.)

SumoRunner;n879464 said:
Also with old-timers there comes a point where they have pretty much said all they can say about their own experience and eventually get a bit tired of responding to the same inquiries over and over from newbies. It's not that they become uncaring or disinterested, merely worn down by the repetition.

It seems like a circle of life, with those new members who stick around becoming the next generation of old members.

Reactions: Eva
As a certified "(very) old member," I too appreciate vr,org as a home away from home and a home within the home. Appreciate all that Hank has done to keep a light on for us in this little corner of cyberspace. Good to see some folks posting on this thread that haven't heard from for a long time. Hope they will continue to check in with us.

I remember being on another forum, and using my distinct talent of advocating for testing for everyone who needs testing - regardless of financial resources, and admitting that I had gone for a lot longer than was sane (what did I know then?) between tests -- and the firestorms that my advocacy and ignorance caused. I was successful at, I think, getting kicked off one board, and locked out of the other board once they figured out who I was.

I still want to see INR testing available for whoever needs it, regardless of ability to pay. In these days of easily available meters and relatively inexpensive test strips, my goal of having testing available has gotten a lot closer to actually being met. Plus, I don't push it. I don't think I've been attacked by anyone here for a few years -- and I don't miss the contentious exchanges AT ALL.

I'm an irregular here -- I often work on other things and can't get back to this forum. Personally, if there's an issue that I'm interested in sharing (or asking others about), this is where I come to exchange information or ask questions; and when I'm here, I often share my information and experiences (and occasionally give advice).

I advocate for weekly testing (though I don't always test weekly). I've been on warfarin for 26+ years - and this makes me an oldtimer, because I wasn't a kid when I had my aortic valve installed. I prefer a meter that few have heard of and probably fewer use (the Coag-Sense). After many months of comparison testing - Coag-Sense, CoaguChek XS, CoaguChek S (yeah, I did my testing a few years ago), Protime Classsic and ProTime 3, with a hospital lab as a control, I determined that, for me, the Coag-Sense was most accurate. Sometimes my advocacy for that meter can also generate heat.

And, as in this message, I tend to write a LOT, my posts are probably a lot for some people to get through.

I'm here now....and I'll be back.

Hi Gang,,
I am still around too. I've on here since 2001. I don't post as often as I used to, mainly because I reason that many of the newer folks coming on are more up-to-date on new and exciting advances in OHS. I don't keep up with it as much except for reading the posts from others on here, and commenting or adding a few bits of info I have kept for years in my files from back in the days and years following my first OHS. I guess to you could add that life sometimes gets in the way of sitting and posting as often once you get back to good health and jump back out in the world.

I do enjoy reading the forum, almost daily, and it helps keep me and I am sure others up to speed at times, as far as asking questions both on here and to our doctors.

Wishing good health to all,
Rob

Hi all,
I still use the forum when I need a little bit of comfort and reassurance.
it was a God send for me during the waiting room year's and the advice and camaraderie was and continues to be amazing.
I realise that when I feel Well, my frequency in visiting reduces greatly, but like all good friends, the forum with all of its wise members is here whenever I need it. Sorry, this sounds really selfish, but all support offered and received is always greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who continue to maintain this valuable resource

I first registered in 2001 right before me first OHS. I had to re-register again a few years later before my second in 2009. I've keep coming back now and and reading posts, but there is only so many times a person can type "this happened to me"...... On a positive note, we are planning a trip back to the Bay area and I plan to see Bill B. and hopefully we can both drop by and see Dr. Miller.

Chris

I first registered here in 2003-2004 and the forum was a huge help. I think there was a failure of the forum software and I too had to re-register at least once.

I was and still am an Administrator for a couple of large forums and am not active much at all anymore. I think forum use in general is way down for many reasons already mentioned.

It's too bad for the specialty forums like this, as back the day, it was more populated and vibrant as expected.

I just posted my second MV repair update from six years ago...first repair...hmm November 2003...Should have bought the extended warranty...(that's my standard joke) ;)

I'm a new member. I just registered this year. This site has been a God send. The information that I've received on this forum really helped me doing my surgery, and it is helping me now during my recovery period. Thank you to all forum members, both old and new, for all your input and for keeping this forum alive.

Back