Newbie Looking for Advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henna, I promise not to make a scene if the food is spicy. It happened in an Indian restaurant once, when I almost fainted. No sympathy from anyone. They didn't even call an ambulance.

My having the Madras curry and almost dying is very different to you having a tantrum because you don't like the food. I coughed up my larynx and had a near death experience. Next time around they made it milder.

Agian;n880169 said:
Henna, I promise not to make a scene if the food is spicy. It happened in an Indian restaurant once, when I almost fainted. No sympathy from anyone. They didn't even call an ambulance.

I promise to tone down the spices for you while retaining all the taste and texture. You wouldn't need the ambulance then.

pellicle : You should join too

And for the record, not ALL Indian dishes are that spicy. It just so happens that all these restaurants which serve "Indian Food" abroad serve only such dishes.

HennaD;n880228 said:
pellicle : You should join too

And for the record, not ALL Indian dishes are that spicy. It just so happens that all these restaurants which serve "Indian Food" abroad serve only such dishes.
That'll teach him to be a know-it-all. If he lets us know when he intends to visit, I'll call ahead and tell them he's a terrorist on Warfarin. Customs will ask him if he's on 'blood thinners' and he'll go bananas in the airport.

pellicle;n880233 said:
I know ... and its on the way between my usual migration path between Finland and Australia. I've been to India a couple of times now.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2008/06/oracle-10g-bootcamps.html

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2008/06/rajasthan-jaipur-and-tigers.html

so its not out of the imagination that I'd visit again

Seems like you are well versed with India. Let me know when you are here again.

Anyway, pellicle and Agian, I think we should continue our discussion on Indian food and visiting here separately. Let's not spam this post which was meant for serious discussion :)

HennaD;n880241 said:
Let's not spam this post which was meant for serious discussion :)

which the original poster seems to never have returned to and which they should have got good answers already from the first 2 pages of it. To me its a zombie thread and fair game for a bit of playful enlightenment (which always seems to happen on these threads rather than on anything in "Small Talk"

:)

amarG;n880255 said:
Pellicle, I am the original poster. I was unregistered at the time of the original post.

Ahh ... I missed that (fished through a bit didn't find it) ... so then, is it ok that we've side tracked the thread? and did you get good answers in the first two pages? (or was that assumption wrong too?)

amarG;n880103 said:
I talked with the clinic again & its actually just a mini-sternotomy. So not a "keyhole" surgery that I thought I heard the surgeon say
to be honest these "mini sternotomies" seem to have little going for them from what I read ... aside from comforting those who don't ask questions when told its "key hole"

I know others will have differing opinions to this, but I try to just give my own views (not attempt consensus)

Guest;n878526 said:
I am sure my question has been asked several times before, but I am new to this and would appreciate your advice.....

I am 52 years old and was happily unaware that I had BAV till it showed up as a coincidental finding on an echo last month. Subsequent MRIs showed significant regurgitation and some drop in LV ejection ratio. But I am asymptomatic and would have never know were it not for all these diagnostic tests. Very worried and trying to figure out next steps and I would appreciate your advice on a few questions:

* My Cardiologist thinks I should go for AVR "within the next 6 months". Is there value to waiting further since I am asymptomatic? How do you determine the best time to get the surgery?

* I understand the rule of thumb is a mechanical valve for younger folks. But I am worried about living with the chance of a clot or intracranial bleeding while on Warfarin. I read some papers that give the probability of lifetime risk of major bleeding as quite high. So wondering if a bioprosthetic & dealing with a second surgery later is an option. Has anyone considered this and if so, would appreciate your thoughts.

* I am originally from India and our diet has all kinds of spices that impact clotting - garlic, vegetables, fish etc. Wondering how hard it is to control INR with a diet like this.

* I live in Northern California and have been in to see the team at Stanford. Any Californians on this blog and who would you recommend? I am open to going down to Cedar Sinai in LA if that is a better option.

Thanks in advance for your help and if there is any other information or advice you can give this newbie, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

What you finalized and where did you finally confirmed your procedure?

Back