Prosthetic Mitral Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Hello fellow heart folks, I’m still doing very well with my aortic valve but have a question. I have a friend in his early sixties who has suddenly been told he has severe Mitral valve regurgitation, his other valves are fine. It’s still early in assessment, and he naturally hopes for a repair. But if he ends up needing a valve replacement I thought I’d find out how those of you who’ve had your Mitral valve replaced are doing (regardless of tissue or mechanical)? I know that we all face difficult challenges with such a serious operation, and there are some who do very well and others who face extra challenges, I just thought it would be good to hear a sample of your experiences.

I was diagnosed late with endocarditis and by that time I was in stage 4 heart failure and near death. My mitral valve was "shredded" according to my surgeon and emergency replacement with the active infection was the only option. I was fortunate that the infection didn't spread to other valves and after six weeks with the pic line I was "cured" of the disease. I am happy as can be with my mechanical mitral valve. Not only blessed that it has kept me alive but thrilled that it has held up to some pretty aggressive running and racing routines with frequent ventures into the maximum heart rate zone. It has been almost six years now and so far it hasn't broken, detached, or degraded in any measurable way. But even if I dropped dead tomorrow I would still count myself fortunate for getting six years of bonus time.

I have had a great time with my mechanical mitral valve. I also had endocarditis and spent 58 days in the hospital at 2 years old. My valve was also destroyed. They replaced it with an artificial one. I had that one until age 13 when they replaced it with an adult size artificial valve. I am now 37 and on year 24 of this valve. I have never had any problems with either valve. I am finally at the point where I feel it might be starting to fail, but I'd say I've had a good ride with it, and I'm blessed to have lived past 2 years old. Over the years I've had one brain surgery, 2 c-sections, a broken bone or two, a few teeth pulled, etc, etc, all while having an artificial mitral valve. We also went skydiving a few years ago. Live life to the fullest. Your friend will do great. Thanks for looking out for him.

All I can say is “Wow” again! Very good valve story Mom2Angel, glad you’ve kept a strong & positive attitude, and that your Mitral valve has served you well over the years. If you ever need a new one, you are very experienced; very inspiring!

I've had a mitral tissue valve almost 5 years. I run, walk, hiked up to 11,000 feet. Probably do more than most 60 year olds. I have been a runner all my life and just go shorter and slower. I don't feel like I have a handicap.

Latest posts

Back