Picking a hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quarry1

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Looks like an AVR will be in my future in the next 6-12 months. Will need to checkout hospitals in Western NYS and am wondering if there is a good website to help make a decision. Surgeons are another thing I will need to look at . Open for comments

True, Cleveland is a good choice. Albany General also rates pretty well. If you want to go to NYC then Cornell Weill is excellent. NY is one of the few states that has mandatory reporting program for hospitals and surgeons (or at least they did in 2012 -ish) when I was thinking about it. They produced a report that rated all hospitals for mortality and risk adjusted mortality for Valve replacement alone or with CABG.
It actually showed how many of each surgery a specific surgeon performed. I think I called NYU or Cornell Weill to ask about their hospital's rates of infection and the representative that I spoke to told me about the report. It is worth looking up. I would send you info but it is buried in an ancient computer. If you can't find it and really want it, let me know and I will try to excavate it. Bonbet

I looked and one of the hospitals I was thinking of aren't even in the top 100. I guess that made it easy. Cleveland Clinic for me! (Editing because I discovered one of my choices was in the top 25, and I may have to reconsider, depending on info I received from CC) CC is still my first choice.

Am working with Sands-Constellation group in Rochester NY and Rochester General Hospital which is Cleveland Clinic Surgery Center. Whatever that means. Next will have interview surgeons. Thanks for any and all input. I will be watching

Quarry1;n875825 said:
Good point on the insurance. I am going to find out tomorrow about mine

Call the phone number on your insurance card. I did this morning and a very helpful gentleman told me that my 2 alternative hospitals (one was U of Michigan Frankel center) took my insurance so I'm in fat city!

I read a lot of good things about them. They do a lot of tavrs. They even did one on a 16 year old boy. It's on you tube. You can Google them. Looks like a good hospital.

I am 11 days post surgery for a bicuspid aortic valve replacement and aortic anuerysm repair. Had surgery performed at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest in Allentown, PA. Surgery was performed by Dr Raymond Singer. Excellent surgeon and excellent man. Hospital is a nationally rated Heart Hospital.

Latest posts

Back