Second opinions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacers74107

So I was just diagnosed with bav how many of you all went for second opinions and how do you not make ur doctor mad that you have now cause I want to go but I like my doctor don't want to make him mad so was wanting to get some opinions on that

If your doctor gets upset for you seeking out another opinion then he's not very professional, besides you probably not the only patient he has that has done such a thing.

I didn't get a second opinion on my diagnosis, I felt pretty confident that was correct. I would get one if I was uncomfortable with my treatment plan after expressing my concerns with my doctor. For example if he wanted to just monitor and I was feeling awful and thought we should move faster, I'd get opinions. You should do whatever you need to feel reassured that your treatment plan is the right one.

I'm a little concerned about the symptoms you reported in the other thread. Have you very specifically shared about the lightheadedness, etc with your doc? (how often it happens, how severe, how triggered, how it impacts your life specifically) It's important to give them full and accurate info.

Yea I mentioned it to him but he didn't say much and like I get this cough every so often but it's like I have phelim in my throat like I need to cough something up and then it just goes away has anybody else ever experienced that he didn't see a aneurysm on the echo so Idk what else it could be

Yea I mentioned it to him but he didn't say much and like I get this cough every so often but it's like I have phelim in my throat like I need to cough something up and then it just goes away has anybody else ever experienced that he didn't see a aneurysm on the echo so Idk what else it could be

Pacers74107;n874634 said:
I get this cough every so often but it's like I have phelim in my throat like I need to cough something up and then it just goes away has anybody else ever experienced that he didn't see a aneurysm on the echo so Idk what else it could be
Hi Nick - have you had everything else checked out ? I'm not talking about heart but about other health issues ? For example, I developed a chronic cough about four years ago, but it is nothing to do with my heart at all - it was investigated and I was diagnosed with small airways disease and am prescribed an inhaler the same as asmatics have. I never considered that my cough was heart related and nor did any doctor. My point is that you can have more than one health issue going on. I have actually four health issues none of which are related to either each other. Complain to your doctor about your cough - there are many reasons for coughs which your doctor can investigate, if it turns out to be heart related they'll work that out.

My doc encouraged me to get a second opinion. I know Cleveland Clinic lets you send your data to them and can review remotely.

My own experience is that my doctor promoted a second opinion.

My view is that if they are against a second opinion then probably they have a genuine concern that you will take your business elsewhere. Meaning I would probably want to do that anyway...

You worried more about your doctor getting mad than fixing your heart?
I suspect he is giving off a 'vibe' discouraging you from questioning him. If this is the case, run away now.
We get three quotes from various tradesmen. This is your health we're talking about.
Screw him, if he gets mad. He's not the one who is going to operate on you anyway, he's just the middleman.
Get as many opinions as you feel you need to be comfortable.
This makes me cross.

So I just need to call a cardiologist and just tell them wat I was diagnosed with and tell them I would like a second opinion I like they won't have to do the echo over will they or not

My primary care doctor sent me for a stress when I complained about shortness of breath. I saw a cardiologist from the hospital she was affiliated with. He did an echo and diagnosed my BAV then set wheels in motion for surgery ASAP. I was stunned and after talking with a friend decided to get a second opinion from a cardio from the group of doctors she was seeing. Diagnosis was confirmed but there wasn't a big push towards immediate surgery, though I went ahead and had it done as soon as possible. I'm sure the first cardio was fine and I would have been fine with his surgeon but things were moving way too quickly with him. I'm glad I saw someone else.

The only reason I thought about getting a second opinion was because the doctor said he didn't see a aneurysm on the echo but are those really accurate idk I just don't want to die because it was missed what symptoms should I go to the er right away if I have them I guess is the question

Pacers - I can't comment on aneurysms, as I have no experience there. I can, however, comment on second opinions, as I have a LOT of experience there. If a doctor seems to be resistant to me getting a second opinion, I fire him/her and go elsewhere. In this modern age, any doctor who feels that you don't warrant a second opinion on something as important as cardiology is not for me. My initial diagnosis was made, then confirmed by two other cardios. I then picked the one I liked, and stayed with him. The same is true with surgeons. I met with three surgeons, telling each of them that I had other consults planned. They were all fine with that.

In other serious medical issues, I've gotten two or three opinions on diagnosis and proposed treatment plans. It always works out best for me, the patient.

P.S. I have seen both of my parents and both of my in-laws' experiences in the "my doctor knows best" mode. None of these ended well for the patient. None.

I got a second opinion and made no secrets about it. I had the results of my echo sent from the 1st Dr. to the 2nd, and even mentioned to the original Dr. that the 2nd Dr confirmed what he said.

So I got a copy of my echo and it looks like that I also have a mild mitral valve which I knew but I also have a mild tricuspid valve that leaks to and a dilated inferior vena cava idk what the vena cava is so you all thanks

So I got a copy of my echo and it looks like that I also have a mild mitral valve which I knew but I also have a mild tricuspid valve that leaks to and a dilated inferior vena cava idk what the vena cava is so you all thanks

Hi Pacers - your cardiologist will be best placed to explain the echo results to you.

On all my echos it reports that I have "mild tricuspid regurgitation", "miild mitral regurgitation" and on one of them "trivial pulmonary valve regurgitation". I think, not sure, but that is fairly common. You might want to look for the peak and mean pressure gradients on your aortic valve. I can't help on the inferior vena cava.

Fyi, I've given up trying to make sense of the numbers since both opinions told me my heart is working better than the numbers imply.  Now I look for words like trivial, mild , moderate, and severe.  I don't worry about trivial or mild and a condition can be moderate a long time before progressing to severe

Latest posts

Back