Second opinions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like you have a lot of questions sort of half answered here and I just remembered you're 27 and your father died young from heart issues. So, first off, HANG IN THERE. Is there anybody older with more experience in medical stuff who could coach you through how to get a second opinion and go to your appointments to help listen and ask questions? Maybe your mom if she is available or another relative or a kind older friend? I think you need somebody to guide you in person.

I will do my best with the questions I am hearing.

1) "what is vena cava" Your vena cava is a big vein by your heart just like your aorta is your big artery by your heart. Dilated means bigger.

2) "Should I try to get a CT scan? I am worried they're missing an aortic aneurysm." I would say yes. It is worrying you and like your doc said it is a common way to doublecheck. Plus, I think they can look for coronary artery disease (the classic "heart attack" problem) at the same time. Given your dad died at 52 from a massive heart attack plus you have BAV and dilated vena cava I think requesting a CT is reasonable.

2) "How can I get a CT scan?" Start with current doc. Send him a health email (if they have that in your clinic) or call your doctor's office and ask to speak to your doctor's nurse about a medical question. Sample email or call: "I visited clinic on (DATE) and I am not comfortable with relying on an echo to make the treatment plan for my BAV. You mentioned that CTs are usually done in these cases to double-check for aortic aneurysm. I also have a family history of early death from massive heart attack (father age 52) so checking for coronary artery disease might also be a good idea. Would you be willing to order a CT for me? Should I book an appointment to discuss? Thank you."

3) "Should I get a second opinion?" My doc has always ordered tests I asked for or changed the plan based on my reasoning. If yours doesn't, and his answers don't set your mind at ease, then get one.

4) "How do I get a second opinion?" SOMEBODY ELSE GET THIS ONE AND WALK HIM THRU STEP BY STEP LIKE THE EXPERIENCED OLD HANDS YOU ARE. I’ve never done this so don’t know.

5) “What symptoms should send to me the ER?” This is an excellent follow-up question for your doctor, as is “What symptoms should cause me to book an immediate clinic appointment?” ANYBODY ELSE WITH BAV AND/OR ANEURYSM ABLE TO HELP HERE? With what I have (mitral) there is no “emergency” situation to watch for, but if I am getting more short of breath during exercise, develop a dry cough that doesn’t go away and keeps me from being able to sleep lying down, or just don’t feel right they want to see me.

6) “Should I be worried?” If you in fact DON’T have an aneurysm, or coronary artery disease, I would say no based on just having mild/mod issues with your BAV and mild on a couple of the others. It’s called mild for a reason. Just be responsible and make sure you follow up with the echos and appointments like they tell you to. If it gets worse you can deal with it then.

I hope this helps.

Where did you leave things with your doctor? When are you supposed to go back?

Hang in there, you can do this.

Latest posts

Back