Life Expectancy after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nocturne;n870797 said:
Really? I work with too many weasel worders to be able to find any solace in that statement.

You mean that the lifetime guarantee that states "Should the implanted valve fail, upon written notice and return of the defective valve to the manufacturer, sent via Postal First Class Mail to the specified address, the manufacturer will supply a replacement valve to be implanted by the surgeon of the patient's choice at the facility of the patient's choice, such implantation expense to be the patient's responsibility" doesn't give you the great warm and fuzzy feeling?

epstns;n870808 said:
...the manufacturer will supply a replacement valve to be implanted by the surgeon of the patient's choice at the facility of the patient's choice, such implantation expense to be the patient's responsibility" doesn't give you the great warm and fuzzy feeling?

well its what gives me wood in the mornings ... well till it stops working :-D

My mom was very sick with severe mitral valve regurgitation in April, 2005. It was so bad at the time she needed a balloon pump in her heart so she could make it to surgery. It was due to rheumatic fever as a child. She had it replaced that month with a pig valve. She was 64. Forward to today-she is 76..had an echocardiogram this morning. She is doing very well-valve still holding up. So grateful!

My mom was very sick with severe mitral valve regurgitation in April, 2005. It was so bad at the time she needed a balloon pump in her heart so she could make it to surgery. It was due to rheumatic fever as a child. She had it replaced that month with a pig valve. She was 64. Forward to today-she is 76..had an echocardiogram this morning. She is doing very well-valve still holding up. So grateful!

epstns;n870808 said:
You mean that the lifetime guarantee that states "Should the implanted valve fail, upon written notice and return of the defective valve to the manufacturer, sent via Postal First Class Mail to the specified address, the manufacturer will supply a replacement valve to be implanted by the surgeon of the patient's choice at the facility of the patient's choice, such implantation expense to be the patient's responsibility" doesn't give you the great warm and fuzzy feeling?

I mean that any promise that an implanted valve will "last a lifetime" isn't really a promise about how long that lifetime will BE.

If you die three days after implantation with a valve that has a "lifetime guarantee", the guarantee was technically adhered to.

If the guy promising you that the valve will "last a lifetime" KNOWS that you are unlikely to live to the end of the year, then technically, he is not lying.

Debster;n870815 said:

Deb, you will be happy to know that I have seen several studies revealing that after the age of 65 or so, AVR has no real impact on lifespan (other than the obvious extension afforded as compared to needing it and not getting it!)

Your mother should have a normal lifespan. I hope she has many years left to share with you and others!

Nocturne;n870821 said:
I mean that any promise that an implanted valve will "last a lifetime" isn't really a promise about how long that lifetime will BE.

If you die three days after implantation with a valve that has a "lifetime guarantee", the guarantee was technically adhered to.

If the guy promising you that the valve will "last a lifetime" KNOWS that you are unlikely to live to the end of the year, then technically, he is not lying.

........and your point is ????????

I was told mine would last "50 years" and that seemed like a lifetime to me. In about nine months I'm going to literally make a liar out of my surgeon since mine will be fifty years old....should I be angry with him for "lying" to me? I think not !!

Nocturne;n870821 said:

Well obviously. If the valves fails you're dead, if you get hit by a truck it lasted a lifetime.

Nocturne;n870821 said:

Well obviously. If the valves fails you're dead, if you get hit by a truck it lasted a lifetime.

Nocturne;n870821 said:

When you have to explain a joke, it kind of loses the humor.

Superman;n870846 said:
When you have to explain a joke, it kind of loses the humor.

Thanks, Superman! I hoped people would have taken my supposed warranty wording as a joke, as it most surely was meant to be!

Nocturne - I hope you didn't think I was serious!

epstns;n870848 said:
Nocturne - I hope you didn't think I was serious!

I've seen enough self-delusion on this and other forums that I can never tell for sure.

As near as I can figure, I should have about 25 years left, which means I'll live until I'm about 67. Since our governor raided the public workers' retirement plan, the new policy is that I won't be able to collect a pension... until the age of 67.

Puts a bit of perspective on sticking it through for that pension.

Anyway, on average I'd only be able to expect another 35 years WITHOUT AS and horrible horrible CAC. And my wife is 6 years older than I am, and could easily have married a guy ten years older than I am -- so I won't likely be leaving her much earlier than would be normally expected.

Losing about ten years sucks, but it's not the worst it could be and it's not the end of the world. I think I'm getting ready to process this and move on.

Nocturne;n870908 said:
............ but it's not the worst it could be and it's not the end of the world. I think I'm getting ready to process this and move on.

Good for you. They call that "acceptance"...........now just move on and make lemonade out of the lemon.

Agian;n870909 said:
Fair enough. They don't (mess) around at the crematorium, so what do you want us to do with your ashes?

Ooh... now there's a question. Would the valve survive the crematorium? Pretty sure I'll get buried in one piece, but for those who choose cremation, it'd be cool if there was this little hunk of pyrolytic carbon left with all the ashes.

Agian;n870909 said:
Fair enough. They don't **** around at the crematorium, so what do you want us to do with your ashes?
given that they use fly ash in making concrete perhaps there may be enough to make a decent long lasting plaque base ... permanence after all

Latest posts

Back