Sternum wires poking through chest?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcoop36

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old male, have tetralogy of fallot, and have had surgery once when I was a baby. Now I had surgery 2 years ago to give me a pulmonary valve instead of the shunt I had. Everything went well. Now I am a very skinny guy, so I noticed on my chest there were some bumps where you could see the eternal wire, which my doc said was normal. But I noticed as the time progressed the wires popped out of my skin and protected slightly, I'm talking like a mm or so. I am just wondering has anyone had this happen?? There's no plain or discomfort. I am just stressing about this because I do not want there to be a big procedure for getting these taken care of. Any insights would be welcome, thanks.

YEah I am a really skinny guy so that seems to be my issue. Now they have been poking out for months, just ever so slightly, just a bump really. I am nervous about infection, I mean I would know if i had an infection i would assume? I am just getting paranoid about it now all of a sudden, I am seeing the doctor monday, gonna be a looooong weekend.

I had the top 4 wires removed.
Mentioned problem to cardiologist. Cardiologist got me an appointment to see surgeon. Surgeon scheduled appointment for surgery.

Basically checked into hospital in late morning a few months later, waited until 3 in the afternoon, walked to ER, laid down and woke up in recovery. Left hospital at 5pm.
Other than the general anethesia risks, it wasn't that complicated.

haha like a boss. Yeah I am not looking forward to getting cut open, but more specifically the anesthesia again. But maybe I can live with my tiny little protruding wires who knows!

Hi

coolcoop36;n851189 said:
ow they have been poking out for months, just ever so slightly, just a bump really

That's what I had, my sungslasses would occasionally knock it when hung around my neck running across the road or something. Its totally no big deal to have them out in terms of the operation .

. I am nervous about infection, I mean I would know if i had an infection i would assume? I am just getting paranoid about it now all of a sudden, I am seeing the doctor monday, gonna be a looooong weekend.

Indeed you are getting paranoid about it. Chill out and you'll be fine, infection comes from the outside not the inside, if you had an infection from the last surgery you would already know it.

As an observation I feel that people these days are way too paranoid and anxious about stuff. I feel its from actually not having anything real to worry about.

Worry about whatyou can control, like being good at your job, the stuff you cant control either happens or it doesnt.

Latest posts

Back