Alcohol or Beer w Tissue Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag004

I'm roughly 19 weeks out of AVR, with a bovine valve. I am going out tmrw with my friends and am looking to drink. At most, I've had around 5 beers at one time, and felt fine during n after since surgery. I'm looking to have around 12 beers over an 8 hour period tmrw. I'm wondering if this is ok? Im a big guy, and drink sissy light beer anyways. Does anyone have any experience with tissue valves and drinking?

My issue is the length of time it's been since surgery......19 weeks, a little more than 4 months. Do you think it's ok for me to go out for the day drinking beers yet? Or do you think I shouldn't push the issue until a later time during my recovery? I'm worried about drinking too many and my heart not being able to handle it yet.

I'm not a doctor, but I considered the 12 week mark as the time when all restrictions were lifted. :) But if you're on any meds to control your heart rate, I wouldn't risk it. Not worth it for piss weak light beer!

I'm also not a doctor, but my doc said a glass of red was fine even before 8 weeks.

I personally don't see an issue with a few beers of less than 3% alcohol. (Well except for the philosophical issue I have with beer that is less than 3% alcohol)

All my doctors approved a glass of red wine daily, if I wished.
They didn't approve a bottle a day :eek: but I am sure they wouldn't approve that for anyone, OHS or not.

Anyone had problems with alcohol with tissue valve?

Anyone had problems with alcohol with tissue valve?

I'm roughly 19 weeks out of AVR, with a bovine valve. I am going out tmrw with my friends and am looking to drink. At most, I've had around 5 beers at one time, and felt fine during n after since surgery. I'm looking to have around 12 beers over an 8 hour period tmrw. I'm wondering if this is ok? Im a big guy, and drink sissy light beer anyways. Does anyone have any experience with tissue valves and drinking?

Yes, I had problems with alcohol at 12 weeks out and yes, I have a tissue valve. I have potentially different circumstances due to previously radiated tissue from Hodgkins disease (cancer) many years ago. I developed Atrial Fib/Flutter after drinking a few glasses (2) of wine the night before, just at the 3 month mark. I do attribute this to the alcohol. I now don't drink at all or maybe about 2-3 tablespoons of wine with dinner and a lot of extra water....(and I am on antiarrythmics which they will try weaning at the one year mark.) I am currently almost 9 months out from surgery. A few cardioversions and I decided I would rather live alcohol-free than deal with Afib. If you are drinking a lot of beer I would highly recommend flushing your body after each one with the same quantity of water to avoid dehydration. Best of luck to you.

Excessive alcohol consumption impacts every organ in the body. Many find (as mentioned above) that it can cause a person to go into Atrial fib/flutter. At 19 weeks or 19 years it is still not recommended. It's your body, your life, your decision ....

A couple(?) beers an hour for eight hours would probably flunk a field sobriety test....if you flunk a field sobriety test, you might get locked up....if you get locked up, you might fall on a used needle on the dirty jail floor....and get an infection like endocarditis....and cause your new valve to become diseased and need valve replacement all over again.....why risk it?

I'm a little more than 4 mos out. I tend to drink more than most; I drank that much, maybe more, in July. That being said, it's of course unhealthy to drink that much. Alcohol WILL raise your heart rate, effect your sleeping and as, another poster said, possibly cause afib. I suggest taking it easy if you do not have experience with how your body will react. Just sayin.

Most "sissy" light beers have 4.2% alcohol, where their "non-sissy" counterparts have 5% alcohol. Not that big of a difference really. These are the amounts for Bud/Bud Light, Miller/Miller Lite, and Coors/Coors Light.

http://www.alcoholcontents.com/beer/

I was a heavy drinker around the time of my second surgery (have since quit) and I don't recommend it. I had A-Flutter the summer before my surgery and needed a catheter ablation to correct the problem. There is no way to know for sure if my heavy alcohol consumption caused it or not, but my cardiologist seemed to think so.

I didn't drink for a few months after my second surgery but ended up drinking heavily again for a period of time. As far as I know I did not have any complications because of it but looking back it was pretty stupid to risk it. I hate to lecture because I used to drink A LOT of beer myself, and drinking a 12 pack of regular beer at a time was not that unusual for me to do. So I will leave it at...be careful ok? We are lucky that we have been able to have our heart repaired and are back living a normal life. No need to push your luck. I'm the kind of person that doesn't do so well with moderation so I found it easier to just quit altogether. I would suggest moderating if possible.

Most "sissy" light beers have 4.2% alcohol, where their "non-sissy" counterparts have 5% alcohol. Not that big of a difference really. These are the amounts for Bud/Bud Light, Miller/Miller Lite, and Coors/Coors Light.

Very interesting, in Australia the regular beers are 5% the mids are between 3-4% and the lights are considered to be less than 3%

My regular light beer is Cascade and that's 2.6%

I was a heavy drinker around the time of my second surgery (have since quit) and I don't recommend it. I

Agreed, I'm personally a good self limiter, so that works in my favour. Have actually played with dealcholising wine with some success.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/just-for-taste-of-it.html

Tough question! I'm a lightweight myself and tried like a half a glass of wine (higher alcohol content than beer at around 12%) but the first time I tried drinking after OHS - my HR went way up - this was probably 4 months after surgery.

I recommend NOT having a fixed amount of beverage quantity in mind - drink a couple - drink some water in-between and assess how you're heart's doing as you go along.

BTW - I also don't condone drinking for the sake of getting drunk. (not to say that - that is your intention - just sayin')

All Was Fine

All Was Fine

jag004....

Did you go with your friends?
How did you do with the beer?

Hope all is well.

I had around 6-7 beers over a 6 hour period. It was fine. I had my fantasy football draft yesterday, thus the reason for this question. The beers were good, but my team wasn't so good, lol. I stayed away from liquor and shots. Thanks for everyone's responses!

Here is a link to a site with alcohol levels in alot of beers. I tend to drink the Miller 64 or Bud 55 which look to be in the 2.4 to 2.8 range.

The first 5 months after surgery I did not drink any alcohol and tried out a bunch of non-alcohol beers and found the Busch Non-alcohol to be to my liking. Still keep it around for when I want a beer without after affects.

Back