alcohol and heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
Hi

I have noticed that since my recent batches of surgery that my heart rate goes up for a while after I've had alcohol. It may be that it was this way before and that my valve surgery had simply brought it into observation.

My resting rate after surgery has come back to 80 or so, and even 12 hours after (say) 3 glasses of wine in an evening my heart rate is up to 120 overnight and still 100 the next day.

Drinking dealcoholised wine seems to prevent this (a recent hobby is dealcoholisation process) so I suspect its not related to the other things in the wine...

thanks

I know that before I had ablation for A-Fib (done during my AVR) alcohol would send me into fast and irregular heart rhythms. I don’t drink now and have never had another problem with rate or rhythm since stopping.

Many do drink and report no problem if moderation is practiced.

Pellicle in the name of science I am drinking wine right now and shall report on heart rate later. :)

Actually I already know. My resting heart rate is about 55, but after a couple glasses of wine I hit a whopping 60!

I haven't measured my heart rate after imbibing, but I have noted that alcohol seems to reduce my blood pressure. Maybe that's why they always offer a drink "to relax you."

I've noticed that after a glass of wine my blood pressure goes down and my resting heart rate goes up (but just a little)

Pellicle in the name of science I am drinking wine right now and shall report on heart rate later. :)
ahh ... a true scientist ... inspired by Marie Curie no doubt

Actually I already know. My resting heart rate is about 55, but after a couple glasses of wine I hit a whopping 60!

"its people like you wot cause unrest" - John Cleese

I dream of having a heart rate that low!

I haven't had any surgery for my BAV (doc says it should be right for a few more years), but in recent times (last year or so maybe) I've noticed that any more than 2 drinks and my heart will start racing, even just 2 sometimes will do it. My normal resting rate is around 60, and it goes up to around 90 to 100, I find it makes it difficult to get to sleep, as I have pulsatile tinnitus too and it makes that worse. It's usually settled by the morning.

I remember from my past days during the guys only fishing trips tht the morning after tying on a good one, my heart rate was always appreciably faster for most of the day following. Not scientific, just recounting from experience in my past life. My new life is all about staying healthy:biggrin2:

It's primarily the sugar content in the wine that raises both heart rate and blood pressure.

Mark

Yes, alcohol increases heart rate. It's the alcohol in the drink that causes it, be it beer, wine or whiskey. I've heard it dilates blood vessels, and the heart must work harder to pump blood. I've had experience with it pre-surgery (lots of experience, lol) and now that I've had AVR it still seems it still holds true. Pellicile, it doesn't surprise me you are having the increased heart rate with a few drinks, and noticing it more. For one thing, you are probably paying lots more attention. And perhaps, your heart is more sensitive to the effects of the alcohol.

Not to hijack this thread, but in a related matter, I've noticed I've lost my taste for drinking alcohol and coffee post surgery! I was a pretty moderate-to-heavy drinker of both prior to surgery. I can barely get through a beer now, or 1 cup of coffee. Go figure. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it went away? (I want my vices back!) I'm only a couple of months post surgery.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron - It is still pretty soon after your surgery. Often our sense of taste is distorted, but trust me, it comes back. For several months after my surgery there were favorite foods that I couldn't stand. After a few more months, all settled down as it was before.

Latest posts

Back