Life Expectancy... of Valve or Person?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hey all,

I was reading some articles regarding life expectancies and AVR's. The articles claim that life expectancy for me (25 years old) is 27 years for a tissue valve, but it does not report statistics for a 25 year old with a mechanical valve.

I have been told by many that I should expect to live a long and normal life. Is the *life expectancy* the expectancy for the person or the valve that was replaced?

Here is the link, but I have seen it on many other websites as well.
http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valv...ctancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement-p2.html

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was reading some articles regarding life expectancies and AVR's. The articles claim that life expectancy for me (25 years old) is 27 years for a tissue valve, but it does not report statistics for a 25 year old with a mechanical valve.

I have been told by many that I should expect to live a long and normal life. Is the *life expectancy* the expectancy for the person or the valve that was replaced?

http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valv...ctancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement-p2.html

Thanks!

That website looks like such a load of crap. I wouldn't worry about what it says. Life expectancy should be the same assuming you suffer no complications and that you are able to adequately keep your INR within range to prevent strokes or bleeds.

That website looks like such a load of crap. I wouldn't worry about what it says. Life expectancy should be the same assuming you suffer no complications and that you are able to adequately keep your INR within range to prevent strokes or bleeds.

AGREED!
Check out the reference section of the VR forum for some legitimate information.

I read the article you reference, and it doesn't really offer much information. There don't seem to be any references to the studies mentioned, so it's impossible to know whether the writer, (who doesn't sound like much of an expert frankly) interpreted the results correctly or not.

One thing you'll want to consider is that the current versions of the pyrolitic carbon bi-leaflet valves those who choose mechanical get now, have only been around for a couple of decades at most. The very newest ones less than that. No one knows how long they will last yet, but they are designed to last longer than you'll need them. As I understand it pannus growth (something both tissue and mechanical valves are subject to) is the principle reason for re-operation in mechanical valves.

I wouldn't stress about it. Keep living a healthy life, do your best to manage your INR well (and reduce your risk of stroke or embolism to near nil), look both ways before you cross the street and hope for the best. You'll be having annual echos (I hope) and they should catch any changes. If it turns out you need to go in for a redo one day, you'll get whatever miracle valve is on the market then.

Should one get a tissue valve and it 'wears out', you need to remember, it can be replaced and the same holds true for a mechanical valve. If the life of the valve is less than the life span of the person, you can get another.

No one knows just how long the newest generation of tissue valves will last as they have not been around that long. Most estimates are based upon the previous models which they replace with whatever perceived improvements were made to them.

The piece you were reading isn't of much value IMO

I didn't look at the link, but need to point out that the majority of the people receiving valves die from non valve-related causes, and likely are in their 70s when they receive their valves. To take the average added life expectancy from their valves (if they all live to 100), it still would still not apply to you. So stop worrying about that right now.

Hey all,

Thanks!

Be very careful of information taken off the internet. Life expectancy of a mechanical valve patient, without other problems, is a normal life expectancy.....currently about 78 in the USA.

My valve will be 45 in Aug., and I just celebrated my 76 "belly button" birthday in Feb. I know how difficult it is to accept that we can live a fully normal life after this surgery,but it is true.......and you don't have to live in fear.

FWIW, I hope to "breeze thru" the age 78 number.

The others have just told you that few people will die from a condition related to their artificial heart valve and you have heard from Dick, whose valve is close to the age of your parents; there is nothing I can add to that. You might consider that unless you have other problems, the new valve leaves you with a much healthier heart but there are things you can do to improve your chances of living a long life and a good guide to this is the report on the most common causes of death in the US.

Causes of Death in the US - 2009

•Heart disease: 599,413
•Cancer: 567,628
•Tobacco related deaths: 443,000
•Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
•Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
•Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021 (33,808 in Auto Accidents)

So, first on your list should be staying in good cardio vascular health and then be vigilant about changes in your body so that cancer can be caught early. DON'T SMOKE. Also, watch your blood pressure and cholesterol. Finally, don't ride in cars; oh! and don't climb on ladders.

The first successful heart valve replacement patient, Philip Amundson, was near death when he received his valve on 21 Sep, 1960. Not only did he survive surgery but he returned to normal life on his farm. 17 years later he died while painting the upper storey of his house when he fell from a ladder. There are lots of things you might worry about but your heart valve is probably not one of them.

Larry

Lots of people including me have asked this question and as others have mentioned valve related incidents are very low if INR level is correctly maintained and you take overall good care of yourself. All Mechanical valves used today will last 200+ years given the chance.

Statistically life expectancy probably is lower because there is more that can go wrong- more chance of infection, strokes, bleeding etc but a lot of that is down to the patient. And there are many articles on the internet that say life expectancy is lower but many are based on old technology (even though Dick has done just fine!) and don't take into account any future advancements. Reops these days are just as safe and even third, fourth operations are relatively straightforward. My surgeon said I could live a long and normal life and told me to stop worrying (having high blood pressure can shorten your life!).

Be very careful of information taken off the internet. Life expectancy of a mechanical valve patient, without other problems, is a normal life expectancy.....currently about 78 in the USA.

My valve will be 45 in Aug., and I just celebrated my 76 "belly button" birthday in Feb. I know how difficult it is to accept that we can live a fully normal life after this surgery,but it is true.......and you don't have to live in fear.

FWIW, I hope to "breeze thru" the age 78 number.

Good info Dick ... with that 78 number I should live to be 128:biggrin2: ... anyway I'm with most everyone else and vote "normal life expectancy" ... but I just turned 7 who knows:biggrin2:

Good info Dick ... with that 78 number I should live to be 128:biggrin2: ... anyway I'm with most everyone else and vote "normal life expectancy" ... but I just turned 7 who knows:biggrin2:

Cooker, I have no doubt you may live to 128. The nice thing about life expectancy stats is that they are forever changing. The older you get, the older your gonna get. When I had the surgery in 1967, normal life expectancy was 73.....so I made it......"one day at a time".

BTW, be careful what you wish for LOL. I sure don't want to be here another 52 years (76+52=128).....my financial plan runs out of money when I am 109.

I am good living while I can still wear big boy undies; after that the thing can freeze up in my sleep.

If you listen to internet estimates, I should been dead 30 years ago. I feel great.

Last edited:
I am good living while I can still wear big boy undies; after that the think can freeze up in my sleep.

If you listen to internet estimates, I should been dead 30 years ago. I feel great.

Todd, I like the way you think. There was a good post on this forum several months ago......A successfull life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. I like that. I am glad that the internet wasn't around in "my day", I would have been petrified at life expectancy for valve recipients in the "olden days". With modern medicine, this stuff should be a snap.......right??

Here is a little more positive spin on things...

http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/325/follow-up/prognosis.html

"Surgical replacement of the aortic valve is extremely effective therapy. Advances in prosthetic-valve design, cardiopulmonary bypass, surgical technique, and anaesthesia have steadily improved outcomes for aortic valve surgery....Patients who survive surgery have near-normal life expectancy..."

Todd, I like the way you think. There was a good post on this forum several months ago......A successfull life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. I like that. I am glad that the internet wasn't around in "my day", I would have been petrified at life expectancy for valve recipients in the "olden days". With modern medicine, this stuff should be a snap.......right??

Amen brother. I am glad you are here to set an example for us all.

Back