Question...if you are on warfarin can you take any cold or flu OTC meds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlouth

With my little set back of pneumonia and slight lung issue I have thought of what OTC medication can be used to treat the common cold or the flu?

Since this came to me after the seeing the surgeon today I will ask my cardio next week. Now I'm on antibotics so it's not an issue but what about a common ailment. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have been on the warfarin for a while so I can stock up my medicine for what I can take as opposed to the usual OTC that I keen on hand. I've done a little on line research and Im more confused than when I started.

Jen

Most, but not all, OTC meds can be taken by warfarin users. I have found that a licensed pharmacist is a good source for advice on possible interactions or potential INR problems.

You can. You just have to make sure it doesn't have aspirin or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory in it like ibuprofen. Unless you're also on blood-pressure medication, then you have to stay away from decongestants such as pseudoephederine and phenylephrine.*

*per my lovely wife and licensed pharmacist.

Jen, sometimes the best approach is to take only a single action type of med;
for example if you would be coughing up phlegm, then take an expectorant. If you would be having a
dry hacking cough, then a cough suppressant may be taken.
Decongestants are to be taken with caution if you are on any BP or BB meds, not a good mix.
Any multi-symptom cold meds usually have Aspirin or Ibuprofen, watch out for those with warfarin.
My doc and pharmacist have given the same cautions but I haven't needed any cold meds, thankfully.
You may want to keep a supply of lemon herbal tissane and a nice jar of honey on hand. So good anytime :)

Latest posts

Back