On-X Aortic Heart Valves: Safer with Less Warfarin On-X Aortic Heart Valves: Safer with Less Warfarin

No announcement yet.

Question...if you are on warfarin can you take any cold or flu OTC meds?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...if you are on warfarin can you take any cold or flu OTC meds?

With my little set back of pneumonia and slight lung issue I have thought of what OTC medication can be used to treat the common cold or the flu?

Since this came to me after the seeing the surgeon today I will ask my cardio next week. Now I'm on antibotics so it's not an issue but what about a common ailment. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have been on the warfarin for a while so I can stock up my medicine for what I can take as opposed to the usual OTC that I keen on hand. I've done a little on line research and Im more confused than when I started.

I take Claritin during the day and Dristan at bedtime.
    Laughter is the Best Medicine
    MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done and home in 4 days

When I feel a cold coming on, I always take super echinacea and astragalus liquid. Never had a problem with my INR.
      Brigham and Women Hopsital -Dr.Shekar OHS- June 1,09
      AVR-St.Jude Mechanical Valve. (25VAVGJ-515)
      Ascending/Transverse Arch Aortic Replacement

Nelson :cool:

Most, but not all, OTC meds can be taken by warfarin users. I have found that a licensed pharmacist is a good source for advice on possible interactions or potential INR problems.
        Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Drs. Richard Wood & Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery with no diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

You can. You just have to make sure it doesn't have aspirin or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory in it like ibuprofen. Unless you're also on blood-pressure medication, then you have to stay away from decongestants such as pseudoephederine and phenylephrine.*

*per my lovely wife and licensed pharmacist.
          10/15/2009 - St. Jude Medical Valve / Conduit Graft 25mm. Dr. Robert Hooker Jr at Meijer Heart Center, Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI.

September 2009 - diagnosed with 4.9 cm ascending aorta with two aneurysm bulges.

11/21/1990 - St. Jude Medical Valve 23A-101. Dr. Seong Chi at Ingham Regional Medical Center, Lansing, MI.

Aortic Stenosis and BAV diagnosed in infancy.

Thank you all so much.

Jen, sometimes the best approach is to take only a single action type of med;
              for example if you would be coughing up phlegm, then take an expectorant. If you would be having a
              dry hacking cough, then a cough suppressant may be taken.
              Decongestants are to be taken with caution if you are on any BP or BB meds, not a good mix.
              Any multi-symptom cold meds usually have Aspirin or Ibuprofen, watch out for those with warfarin.
              My doc and pharmacist have given the same cautions but I haven't needed any cold meds, thankfully.
              You may want to keep a supply of lemon herbal tissane and a nice jar of honey on hand. So good anytime
              BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
              INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"