Heat sensitivity, sweating....pre mitral valve surgery..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

Normally this would be a stupid question but I do have to ask...Do any of you suffer from getting warm quickly or more uncomfortable in hot weather than when you valve was working properly?

I find myself getting hot and sweating so easily, I can't stand it...

It's complicated because I do have MS as well, even though it's about as mild a case as can be..

The Heart surgeon actually said, "It's not the valve"...and I almost laughed in his face...of course he can be right but he blamed it on MS so fast and with all due respect I think he knows very little about MS. It's a very mysterious murky individual disease.

I had a leaky valve before but don't remember how it effected me until it went out.

This time more than ever, I get warm really fast and it's connected to exertion.

Can anyone relate?

I absolutely can relate to you. I suffer from severe heat flashes and it's been years since I went through menopause, so I know it has nothing to do w/that! I mentioned this to the cardio once and he neither dismissed it nor addressed it.....just nodded his head.

When the heat waves get so bad, I have to reach for a wet, cold, face cloth and run it along the inside of my arms, neck, face and the back of my legs until I start cooling down. And I keep a cold bottle of water handy. Ceiling fans make a world of difference too so if you don't have any, you might think of getting one, at least in the bedroom.

As far as the hot weather is concerned, well, I've told my husband that when I die, it will probably be in the summer because I feel absolutely dreadful with the heat! Now that the weather is cooling down, I'm starting to feel more like myself! :)

I hope you find much needed relief from this and other symptoms, once you have your valve surgery.

God Bless!

I also have poor heat tolerance and I trace the start of that to when my valve first went bad. My mitral valve was replaced three years ago and I still have the intolerance. It can be miserable.

Ditto regarding misery with the heat. I positively wither :eek2:

On the hot and humid days, there is much less available oxygen in the air.

BTW, Offwego, best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Take care :)

I was a sweater before surgery and after. It is my thought it has more to do with overall reduced heart function.

Interesting...I'm not surprised....I was hoping I'd hear about how it's so much better after surgery...lol...well maybe it will be better....of course the heart will be functioning much better...

I'm waiting for AVR and I've noticed that I've become extremely heat sensitive. I had attributed it to the fact that I did have a case of heat stroke about ten years ago (they say that you become more sensitive to the heat after these events). But this past summer I was unable to walk a block in the heat without my heart racing. I've never been this sensitive. It actually induces tachycardia if I'm not very careful.
I also have a lot of overheating problems at night and frequently wake up sweating. I usually go sleep in the basement to cool off.

...On the hot and humid days, there is much less available oxygen in the air...
Here's a very informative article that addresses density altitude and how and why this kind of air can affect and even stress people (especially those with heart and/or lung issues) on hot and/or humid days: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdenalt.htm

Depending on the specific measurements, hot and humid air can cause a person at 1500 above sea level feel like they're breathing at 4500 asl, or even more.

Here's another interesting article that may explain it more clearly: http://gregbrownflyingcarpet.wordpr...-density-altitude-on-high-elevation-exercise/

Latest posts

Back