Valve re op/ on x durability/ life expectancy etc!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark!

I'm 37, and have had 5 surgeries (3 by the time I was 5, another at 24 and my last one just a couple years ago). I remember posting something about how many is too many (surgeries) before my last one. :) I think the main concern with re-ops is the scar tissue, and it takes them longer to get past all that. Being that this is your second, I wouldn't be overly concerned... definitely keep planning your future. :)

My first valve (when I was 24) was a St Judes, and I opted for the On-X this last time, just based on the hopes of someday lowering my INR. Mine is in the mitral position, and there aren't many studies of On-X in the mitral, but my surgeon did a little research on his own and let me go forward with it. As for the noise - I think it's about the same as my mitral.... I had heard it would be quieter, but no such luck yet. It's still not loud enough to be annoying tho... well, maybe I should ask my husband. :)

Anyway, best of luck as you move forward with your surgery! Glad you stumbled on this place... it's definitely a great resource!
Kerri :)

Hi there, Mark and welcome to this wonderful community of OHS survivors!

As you can see from the posts before me, there are quiet a few of us who have had multiple OHS and are still doing very well.

I had my 1st double-valve OHS at age 24, in 1975. Six months later, I had to have my 2nd re-op due to some of the sutures around the new mechanical mitral valve, giving way and causing it to leak severely. After surviving the 2nd OHS, I lived a full and very active life for 31 years without complications, anticoagulants and all! Unfortunately, in 2006 I had to undergo a 3rd OHS because scar tissue (pannus growth), had surrounded the aortic mechanical valve, obstructing it. That surgery took a lot out of me and it was harder to recover from.

I can well understand your frustration, sadness and perhaps even anger, at the thought of having to undergo yet another one. That said, I think that you will do just fine! You WILL go on to live a long life and become a wonderful husband, father and grandfather!

Best of luck to you! :)

Ola, Mark!
I got my 23mm ON-X aortic valve in January. It was the right decision for me mainly for the same reasons that you are siting as important to you.

I just wanted to chime in on the noise. I had heard the On-X was quieter, but I think mine is quite loud. I hear it every day.
It ticks away and sounds like a very loud watch. Others can hear it in a quiet, enclosed setting. I do think your body composition plays a part in how loud the valve sounds.

That being said, I wouldn't trade it for the world. The noise is there, but I find it comforting. It doesn't keep me awake or anything. It's just audible in rooms/spaces with the right acoustics. I can't sneak up on anyone, but I don't do that very often anyway.

Hi mark .
I'll be having my third OHS on august 17 2011 . I too am going with the on-x valve . It is replacing a 25 year old bjiork-shilley machanical valve .
As my 2 previous surgeries were done a long time ago , and I was very young ( 9 the first time , 14 the second) They weren't too bad , or at least I don't remember them as being too bad !! I will keep you posted , and let you know how the 3rd surgery went , and how the recovery goes .
Good luck to you , and all on here !!!

I have severe aortic stenosis and in tomorrow 19/4/2018 I will have OHS and I'm going for the on X. Valve. I live in Cyprus and I'm 50 years old. I'm quite worried about warfarin to be honest. Anyone with information regarding this matter please tell me. Thanks.

Andreas Harpas;n882953 said:
I have severe aortic stenosis and in tomorrow 19/4/2018 I will have OHS and I'm going for the on X. Valve. I live in Cyprus and I'm 50 years old. I'm quite worried about warfarin to be honest. Anyone with information regarding this matter please tell me. Thanks.

Hi Andreas, welcome to this forum. Warfarin is a drug that must be monitored.....but I don't consider it a drug to be feared and I've been on it for almost 51 years following my surgery. So long as the drug is taken as prescribe and routinely INR tested it should interfere only a little with your lifestyle, diet or activity level. Do a "search" on this forum for "warfarin, coumadin, blood thinner" and you'll find a lot of conversation.....pro and con on this issue. FWIW, if I had to make the decision today, as a young 31 year old man, I would choose the mechanical valve and warfarin again to avoid future surgeries.

Hi Andreas

Andreas Harpas;n882953 said:
I have severe aortic stenosis and in tomorrow 19/4/2018 I will have OHS and I'm going for the on X. Valve.

The valve should do well and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a smooth surgery and recovery.

. I'm quite worried about warfarin to be honest. Anyone with information regarding this matter please tell me. Thanks.

Don't be ... as Dick has said its actually quite a safe and reliable drug. I compare it to cars: if you don't take basic precautions and pay attention driving then cars are dangerous. However in the main most people have no problems with driving and some live their entire lives without an accident. Normally that's not luck, that's them being good drivers.

I've got heaps on my blog about what I've learned in managing INR, here is a good starter:

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html

please feel free to pop back here and ask when you start on warfarin, also look around the appropriate sub groups here:

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forum/anti-coagulation

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forum/home-anticoagulation-monitoring

Normally the people who have least to do with warfarin are the ones who are the most worried about it.

Best Wishes

Back