Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-Fib Post Valve Replacement Percentages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am only two weeks post AVR and no afib. My doctor gave similar percentages of post-op afib after valve replacement at 50%.

Another thing that can cause arrhythmias is electrolyte imbalances. Post-op, you may go on lasix, which carries some potassium away when you urinate (a "potassium depleting diuretic" as opposed to a "potassium sparing diuretic"). This is why they check your blood levels and "replace" your potassium while you are on the lasix.
    Whether you are post-op or not, electrolytes in general, such as potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium, help conduct the electrical impulses in your heart. Electrolyte levels that are too high or too low can affect your heart's electrical impulses and contribute to arrhythmias.
    AVR and ascending aorta repair 4/29/11
    27mm St Jude Regent valve
    Dr Gaudiani at Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City, CA

Comment

You need to be sure you are talking about A Fib vs A Flutter, they are different and the prognosis may be very different from each other as is the tx. The heart is very irritated after OHS and the Aortic Valve is in an electrical area of the heart. You should discuss this with your MDS if you are concerned. I had an ablation for A Flutter last week and had great results so far and the procedure was not awful to go through. Good luck to you.
      AVR 3-11-2011, Mechanical Valve, Aneurysm repair in Ascending Aorta
      Dr Bernard Harrison,
      Methodist Hospital, St. Louis Park MN

Comment

I met with my Dr. yesterday . He said that the numbers are 25% of arotic valve replacement folks have a-fib after leaving the hospital, also 7% need a pace maker. After talking to him it seems that stroke during surgery is there bigest fear. And for a re-do it is cutting a vein at the time you are being opeaned up.

Comment

I would have to imagine arotic valve surgery and mitral valve surgery might have very potential outcomes for a-fib. What do you think?

But as I said before, once I was told they could do a cryo ablation modified maze at the same time, and that could dramatically cut my chances of getting a fib, it seemed a no-brainer. Were others offered this option?
          VT and ICD '02. Diag went from HCOM > idiopathic cathecholamine triggerd VT > MV Prolapse Syndrome. MV rep Da Vinci, Dec 27 '10 Mayo. Finally on mend. "I don't think the objective should be optimization of athletic performance" - John's Cardiologist : )

Comment

I had aortic valve replacement and no afib for me. It will be 6 years next month.

I'll have to check, but it seems that in past discussions, people having mitral valve repairs and replacement had more cases of afib.
            Never stand afar and view with fear and trembling that which lies in your way. Face it boldly and see how very small it is, after all.
            VR.com member since 2004, avr in 2005

Comment

A month or two ago, somebody posted a link to a university study on post-OHS (or post-AVR?) A-fib, maybe at Duke University, that gave numbers I found surprisingly high. Something close to 50%, can't remember exactly. I also saw another study, maybe done here in Toronto, that showed that post-OHS Magnesium supplementation cut the rate of A-fib down, maybe in half. Definitely Mg, not Potassium (K), in this study.

Me, I had a brief episode in the CICU maybe ~1 day post-op. (I was told, I didn't notice.) Then at home, 3 wks post-op, I took an ambulance trip to the ER at "my" hospital for V-tach (~150 bpm) & A-fib. I'd had a bug, cough and fever for a week, then it faded, but I suddenly felt like garbage, dizzy, a bit nauseous, weak as a kitten. I'd been eating more Boost/Ensure garbage than real food for days. Eventually I gently collapsed onto the bathroom floor, HR ~150.

After a few hours of thinking and preparing, we called the ambulance. By then I could walk down the stairs and down the walk and into the ambulance, but still HR ~150.

At the ER, they started with a short of Calcium Channel Blocker (CCB?), which brought my HR down. At that point they said that the A-Fib had become A-flutter. (Just what IS the difference??) Then they gave me a Rx for Metoprolol (2 x 25mg/d), double the dose that I'd been on in the hospital post-op. I probably should have stayed on it, but the resident cardiologist at the hospital had a better idea and had taken me off it, probably a mistake. My blood sugar was also somewhat high in the ER (like 9 instead of <4.5), but nobody seems to think that the BS was my problem.

I stayed on the Metoprolol until ~3 months post-op. Then a 48-hour Holter showed no A-fib or other problems, so I dropped the Metoprolol, and also the Warfarin that I'd been on for the 3 months post-op.

I felt lots of heart beats post-op, including lots of PVCs. I don't think I ever actually felt the A-fib, I just felt like #$%^&.
              BAV, extended ARoot, some MV damage.
              68 y.o. (65 @OHS), keen active athlete until shortly pre-op, only symptomatic 1-2 months pre-op.
              AVR (Medtronics Hancock II) Dec. 1 2010 w/ Dr. C.M. Feindel at UHN aka Toronto General. Also a "tuck" on the Aortic root, and a (Dacron) Medtronics Simplici-T ring on my MV. I did ACT for 3 months for the ring, and Metoprolol (BB) for 3 months for A-fib.

Comment

I had fairly frequent A-fib before my AVR and so I had a concurrent Maze procedure. Post surgery I did have two quite significant (hours long) episodes while I was still on the bisoprolol but when I was petitioning the doc to let me off he had me wear a Holter monitor for 48 hours and said that the results were 'bizarrely' regular. I came off the Beta Blocker and haven't had an episode of it since. Oddly enough, prior to the surgery I used to have a sort of feeling, which I can't really describe, right before A-fib would start. I still get the feeling but those errant signals never get where they were going so I don't get the beats.

Comment

Yeah...the one thing thar DID work on me was my good old ryrhmic self. Was it
                  Because I went OFF coenzyme Qq10 and 4 days later I got A fib??? Frightened me into Amioderone like THAT...didn't even seem to know wHAT even what coenzymeQ10 WAS down there...! So, on crappy amerotione.
                  ameorterdone(apparently... while have had this low grade 99 degree-99.7 (huge for me) and NO ONE is Paying a bit of attention. Gad!!! Heart surgery and everyone loses their common sense?.. So busting out with Kephlex, don't know what else to do...take it for tooth/ mouth pre-dentists stuff, everyone of my friend are sick, won't see my real Cardiologist for until Monday...my chest hurts a little...just saw how sick and hopelesscfeeling can be worse than anything. Well, blazes, here's hoping kephlex get the bad guys the blazes off me!! I'm just at witscend, cardio Monday. Michelle
                  Last edited by Michellemar; May 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot

Comment

What's the "hammer drug?" thanks Michellemar

Comment

It's Amiodarone, Michellemar.

Comment

It's important to differentiate between how many people get AFib temporarily from surgery and how many keep it long enough for it to be chronic. You're out of the hospital in days (hopefully), but it takes at least six months for it to be considered chronic. Most cases go away long before that happens.

Be well,
                        Bob H

"No Eternal Reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn..." Jim Morrison

[B] [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314"] Click here to View the Glossary of VR Terms and Acronyms[/URL] [/B]

[B]I am not a Medical Professional.[/B] Aortic Valve Replacement (Medtronic Mosaic) on 4/6/04, at Robert Wood Johnson UH in New Brunswick, NJ. AVR again (St. Jude Biocor) on 08/25/09 at St. Michael's MC in Newark, NJ. Both performed by Dr. Tyrone Krause, a true Zen Master Mechanic in the world of valve replacement surgery.

Comment

Working...
                        X