Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

Acid Reflux & Aspirin

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid Reflux & Aspirin

Years ago I had server acid reflux and was put on a prescription for about 2 weeks and never had an experience again until now.

So here's the deal, I started 81mg of aspirin about a month ago. 2 weeks ago I started having acid reflux - it would come and go throughout the day and it wasn't a big concern. Now it's consistent. That closing feeling at the back of the throat feeling, between the shoulder blades are sore and Zentact doesn't help.

Could the aspirin be the cause of all of this? I've read conflicting articles.

Does anyone have any insight on this? (I'm pretty miserable right now)

Thanks in advance
    Laughter is the Best Medicine
    MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days in Canada

Is the asprin a "coated" type?
    [CENTER][B][U]Live ,Love, Laugh
    It's all good[/U][/B]
    [IMG]http://files.vector-images.com/clipart/smiley190.gif[/IMG]
    [SIZE="3"][B][U]READ ABOUT ME HERE [/U][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][U]2007 [/U][/B][URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35064-Radical-Sternectomy&p=453639#post453639[/URL]
    [B][U]My MEDS [/U][/B] [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171"]http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37469-meds&p=487171#post487171[/URL]
    [IMG]http://netanimations.net/Moving-animated-police-chase-and-gun-fight.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/images/smilies/10_1_112.gif[/IMG] [/CENTER]

Comment

yes they are coated. That was the first I checked this morning.

Having them coated is a "good thing" right?

Comment

aspirin (even the enteric coated) tears my stomach up bad and no amount of zantac will quell the fire. I think it's definitely possible.
        In the living room.

[I]"If something is going to affect your life, it's best to know as much as you can about it."[/I] -Donald Trump

[B][U]I am not a doctor or a medical professional! Always check with your doctor before acting on any information that doesn't come from your doctor.[/U][/B]

[color=red]If you have/had an aneurysm, please answer my poll [URL="http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37612-Aortic-Aneurysm-and-Respiratory-Issues"]here[/URL]:[/color]

Comment

I never had a problem with this until I started on Aspirin post surgery.
          I have tried 3 different types of low dose Aspirin.
          Uncoated this is what I was first on and once the problem started I thought try something else.
          I tried the enteric coated and this was better, however some things still caused problems especially alcohol.
          I then tried "Cartia" which appears to have a different coating, they call it Duentric, I can't say what the difference is however I rarely have problems these days.
          OldManEmu

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." FDR

Comment

I was put on prilosec after my surgery because of all the pills I had to take and especially the aspirin but it isn't good to take that all the time. I stopped taking that and now I get heartburn occasionally, definetly more often than when I wasn't taking aspirin. Usually one pepto bismal chewable works, sometimes I need two. Tums and rolaids are worthless though.
            MV repair 7/26/10 @ the Cleveland Clinic w/Dr. Gillinov Post surgery a-fib, Dressler's, anemia "It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all". ~Albert Camus

Comment

Consult your doctor first, but have you checked into taking Krill oil instead of aspirin? Aspirin is prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots, there are several countries in the UK that do not undertake the practice of prescribing aspirin to thin the blood, and they prescribe fish oil instead. Many studies over there have exposed daily aspirin use as being damaging to the gastro-intestional tract causing long term consequences.

I will spare you the heap of "drug companies warping the healthcare system" speech, however, drugs like Zantac, Prilosec, Omeprozole, and the others are NOT the long term answer for acid reflux! These drugs deprive your body of valuable nutrients as they prevent the absorption of many vitamins we need to live and fight off sickness. Drugs like Prilosec, zantac, and the other anti-stomach acid stuff were not designed initially to be taken for long periods of time just because of this. If you have persistent GURD or reflux, you need to find out why and get it resolved. There are alternatives to aspirin as well.

Best of luck

Comment

hi, i have ibs so was worried when i was given aspirin,i take the encoated 81mg and seem to do ok with it,interesting one about some counties not giving it? yorkshire does lol,havnt heard of that one and lived in england all my life
                had avr replacement feb 2008 tissue valve fitted have got a nice porky pig one so no bacon for me ha ha,on hbp tabs and beta blockers,

Comment

Originally posted by jake View Post
                  Consult your doctor first, but have you checked into taking Krill oil instead of aspirin? Aspirin is prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots, there are several countries in the UK that do not undertake the practice of prescribing aspirin to thin the blood, and they prescribe fish oil instead. Many studies over there have exposed daily aspirin use as being damaging to the gastro-intestional tract causing long term consequences.

I will spare you the heap of "drug companies warping the healthcare system" speech, however, drugs like Zantac, Prilosec, Omeprozole, and the others are NOT the long term answer for acid reflux! These drugs deprive your body of valuable nutrients as they prevent the absorption of many vitamins we need to live and fight off sickness. Drugs like Prilosec, zantac, and the other anti-stomach acid stuff were not designed initially to be taken for long periods of time just because of this. If you have persistent GURD or reflux, you need to find out why and get it resolved. There are alternatives to aspirin as well.

Best of luck
                  Interesting thread.

I'd be interested in knowing more about long term use of (enteric) Aspirin and Prilosec/Omeprazole.
                  Are there any internet links with such information? or other sources?

I'd also be interested in knowing what other options are available.

Comment

Old home remedy in the south is take a spoonful of vinegar every day. Don't ask me if this works, because I would have to be hurting bad to try it since even the smell of vinegar is horrible.

Mileena

Comment

I too would be interested in other options (besides vinegar - sorry Mileena).

I'm still suffering, but not as bad. Put a call in to my cardio on Monday and still haven't heard back and I've stop taking the aspirin.

Comment

Freddie, fortunately your arteries are good and you are on Coumadin for ACT so the Aspirin isn't totally necessary.
                        The first thing to do is review your diet. You know what I am going to say:
                        NO softdrinks
                        NO caffeine
                        NO spicy foods
                        NO fried foods
                        NO cigarettes
                        NO booze
                        Yes, it sounds totally boring, but I've had gut problems in the past and really don't want a repeat, especially
                        now that I am taking Coumadin.
                        Yesterday at dinner I enjoyed a small piece of lean steak, brown rice, and broccoli. Nothing else.
                        Oatmeal cookies are a great snack item with low guilt.

Also, STRESS is a huge contributor to stomach issues.
                        Have you started yoga yet?
                        BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
                        INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

I'm not sure about the long term effects of aspirin/prilosec is but prilosec shouldn't be taken for more than a couple months because it blocks certain vitamins from being absorbed. My doctor told me I could take it ever other day if I really needed it but he preferred I stopped. I took it for about 4 months. I'm down to just a baby aspirin, sotalol, atenolol, zoloft, and ativan. I am weaning of the ativan and take very very low doses of all of the pills I take so I don't really have problems with heartburn much anymore and if I do a chewable pepto bismol works wonders.
                          MV repair 7/26/10 @ the Cleveland Clinic w/Dr. Gillinov Post surgery a-fib, Dressler's, anemia "It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all". ~Albert Camus

Comment

Michele -

Do you remember which vitamins are blocked by long term use of Prilosec?

Comment

No my doctor told me but was not too specific of the particular vitamins being blocked. And when I had blood tests everything seemed fine on that front so I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X