Acid Reflux & Aspirin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went in for my pre-colonoscopy (whooppee!!) discussion with the physician's assistant and she mentioned that prolonged use of prescribed reflux meds can be bad for older women because they block calcium absorption and older women on these reflux meds have been having more trouble with breaking bones. She recommended trying less strong over the counter Xantec (sp?) and Pepsid. She said (my reflux is suddenly bad) aspirin (even coated ones) can have an effect.

I always get messed up after the holidays because I have no will power and eat, eat, eat all the bad stuff. In addition to the list that Bina offered, please add MINT. Definitely a no-no. My doctor had that on a list for me several years ago and I had actually overamped on a bag of baby peppermint patties and sure enough -- they made me miserable. I also cannot eat oatmeal. Oats are okay, like Cheerios, or cookies, but oatmeal gets me. And that vinegar idea......yeeeeshh! So much acid into an already acidy tummy? I do know that these new Kombucha drinks are very very sour and made of fermented go* knows what, but they are very popular for digestive health.

I have decided to go on one baby aspirin every other day for awhile and see if things calm down some. I've also given up my beloved morning glass of orange juice. I no longer use fresh tomatoes on anything. These things are helping me.

Good luck!

Marguerite

There was a discussion about long term prilosec a couple weeks ago when I posted a link to the rebate going on. http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37097-prilosec-OTC-rebate

I would hope most doctors and pharmacysts would know that UNLESS a doctor prescribes prilosec it should not be used long term. it even says it on the boxes of OTC prilosec and the store brand not to take more than 14 day or to wait 4 months before taking the next 2 week treatment.

Adults 18 years of age and older
This product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days
It may take 1 to 4 days for full effect, although some people get complete relief of symptoms within 24 hours

14-Day Course of Treatment
Swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water before eating in the morning
Take every day for 14 days
Do not take more than 1 tablet a day
Do not chew or crush the tablets
Do not crush tablets in food
Do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor

Repeat 14-Day Courses (if needed)
You may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months
Do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor

here is a link to the NIH page http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhe...36#a693050-how
under side effects are
"People who take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole may be more likely to fracture their wrists, hips, or spine than people who do not take one of these medications. The risk is highest in people who take high doses of one of these medications or take them for one year or longer. The risk may also be higher in people who are 50 years of age or older.

Some people who take omeprazole for a long time may develop weakening of the stomach lining."
(which seems weird since it is supposed to protect it- I thought)

I'm not sure why Nexium doesn't have the same restrictions since it also has the warning about weak bones http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001062

"People who take proton pump inhibitors such as esomeprazole may be more likely to fracture their wrists, hips, or spine than people who do not take one of these medications. The risk is highest in people who take high doses of one of these medications or take them for one year or longer. The risk may also be higher in people who are 50 years of age or older. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking esomeprazole."

but for some reason it does NOT have the same restrictions ( about no more than 14 days) and even mentions it may take WEEKs to feel the benefit.

"It may take several weeks or longer for you to feel the full benefit of esomeprazole. Call your doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve during this time. Continue to take esomeprazole even if you feel well. Do not stop taking esomeprazole without talking to your doctor."

Last edited:
I just went in for my pre-colonoscopy (whooppee!!) discussion with the physician's assistant and she mentioned that prolonged use of prescribed reflux meds can be bad for older women because they block calcium absorption and older women on these reflux meds have been having more trouble with breaking bones. She recommended trying less strong over the counter Xantec (sp?) and Pepsid. She said (my reflux is suddenly bad) aspirin (even coated ones) can have an effect.

I always get messed up after the holidays because I have no will power and eat, eat, eat all the bad stuff. In addition to the list that Bina offered, please add MINT. Definitely a no-no. My doctor had that on a list for me several years ago and I had actually overamped on a bag of baby peppermint patties and sure enough -- they made me miserable. I also cannot eat oatmeal. Oats are okay, like Cheerios, or cookies, but oatmeal gets me. And that vinegar idea......yeeeeshh! So much acid into an already acidy tummy? I do know that these new Kombucha drinks are very very sour and made of fermented go* knows what, but they are very popular for digestive health.

I have decided to go on one baby aspirin every other day for awhile and see if things calm down some. I've also given up my beloved morning glass of orange juice. I no longer use fresh tomatoes on anything. These things are helping me.

Good luck!

Marguerite

I won't correct a fellow member's typos, but just wanted to post the name of the meds being referred to.
Zantac and Pepcid are the OTC meds easily available for stomach issues.
Post op the nurses gave me Zantac for about a week because of a sensitive stomach issue. It worked great.
And yes, I also have to be careful eating foods with mint, including those lovely chocolate covered ones. ;)

I would suggest a gastroenterologist if you have heart burn that bad, I'm sure they have plethora of drugs for heartburn that are fine for long term use.

Latest posts

Back