Anyone STILL have a murmur after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear72

Just curious. Do any of you post-op patients still have a murmur? I went for my check up yesterday and actually heard my murmur for the first time and it's loud (IMO). Thing is, my echo from last week and months before that are great. My MV repair still has a mild leak (as expected), but since the mild leak is "turbulent" the result is that whooshing sound.

Surgeon and cardiologist say it's nothing since the echo(s) show no problems. In fact, I was told to continue running and call him in a year. Anyone else experience this?

A residual murmur after surgery is OK as long as it does not come with significant valve leak or narrowing. Some patients even have what we informally call "innocent murmurs". You can hear them but there is nothing wrong with the valves. A good echocardiogram and routine follow up exams with a surgeon or a cardiologist are always the best way to deal with heart murmurs. Enjoy your healthy heart and your life. More answers at www.biappleheartsurgery.com

Heartdoc

A residual murmur after surgery is OK as long as it does not come with significant valve leak or narrowing. Some patients even have what we informally call "innocent murmurs". You can hear them but there is nothing wrong with the valves. A good echocardiogram and routine follow up exams with a surgeon or a cardiologist are always the best way to deal with heart murmurs. Enjoy your healthy heart and your life. More answers at www.bigappleheartsurgery.com

Heartdoc
It's your HEART. It's your BODY. It's your LIFE. Learn to make the right choices!!

http://www.bigappleheartsurgery.com

A residual murmur after surgery is OK as long as it does not come with significant valve leak or narrowing. Some patients even have what we informally call "innocent murmurs". You can hear them but there is nothing wrong with the valves. A good echocardiogram and routine follow up exams with a surgeon or a cardiologist are always the best way to deal with heart murmurs. Enjoy your healthy heart and your life. More answers at www.biappleheartsurgery.com

Heartdoc

That's pretty much what I'm getting from my cardiologist and the surgeon in Cleveland. I think the littlest thing sets me off now if something doesn't sound right. Thanks for the replies.

When I was eight years old, I had a repair done, but still had the heart murmur, which the doctor even explain it to me that I would still have the murmur for some time. Then there would come a time the aortic valve would have to replaced. So I had the murmur still for 28 years after repair til replacement. You can still the same active life. It just gave you more time and who knows what the future holds for you. Just take a deep breathe and go with the flow. It does nothing for you the worry about the murmur you still have. You are doing just fine. Taking care of the heart is very important thing in life to do. You are in a great place also. We all know what you are going through. Smile. :)

My son does. He still has his own mildly leaky aortic valve and a homograft pulmonary valve. It is very loud, I can occasionally hear it when lying next to him and can feel it easily. It's been that way for a long time and is stable. Kind of freaky to hear and the first time I heard it I called the PC on a weekend. I'd try not to worry since they've checked you out and all looks ok.

My mom has a loud murmur 5 years after surgery...cardio says it is not a problem-woohoo!!! Doctors find it very interesting to listen to!:cool: Deb

Yes, I am told pretty much the same. You can have a murmur AFTER surgery. Evidently this is normal, not to worry!

I'll always have a murmer, had surgery at 1 yr old in 1988, 4 yrs old an 1991 and still have murmer, currently fairly stable, with valve leaks waiting for impending surgery in the future

Hey
I've got two murmers and a leak on my aortic valve,
I've always had them
Luv Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back