Cath. via wrist Vs femoral artery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffM

Just read about this in the W. Post Tuesday Health section. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages. Pro: less of a serious bleeding risk. Less time in prone position (even with the collagen plug) after the procedure. Con: less direct route in a smaller "tunnel". Probably more of a risk for patients with a lot of plaque? Anyone have any experience or additional knowledge about this alternative?

Just read about this in the W. Post Tuesday Health section. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages. Pro: less of a serious bleeding risk. Less time in prone position (even with the collagen plug) after the procedure. Con: less direct route in a smaller "tunnel". Probably more of a risk for patients with a lot of plaque? Anyone have any experience or additional knowledge about this alternative?
My first cath was done through my arm and I think it was much easier from a recovery standpoint than the ones through the groin. However, I remember it being more uncomfortable and seemed harder to "thread" although I can't say why since it was so long ago.

no pulse

no pulse

i was happy when i found out my cath would be through my right wrist; i was told there would be a quicker recovery time. in the event, the proceedure went quickly and easily.

but since the cath, i have no pulse in the right wrist. when i was in hospital the surgeon said cardiologists like to do the proceedure through the wrist as it is easier for them, but surgeons prefer it done though the groin as it is easy to stuff up the vein in the wrist.

everyone says the lack of a pulse in the right wrist is not a problem ( unless some doctor declares me dead because there is no pulse!! ) for me and that it will never return.

had left right cath was told that can only go through groin to check pulmonary pressure had a nice bruise after and a long lay down.

Anyone have any experience or additional knowledge about this alternative?[/QUOTE]

That was a painless, fast and without complications procedure. It was done 2years ago prior to my AVR. It was an advanced method at that that time and it is a common method today at the American Heart Institute in my country.

I've had 4 caths. Groin at 18 months old, right arm at 10 years old (where your arm bends at the elbow...still have a visable scar), groin at 17 years old, and groin with collagen plug at 43 years old. I liked the collagen plug...I was up and walking in 2 hours (about the time I woke up from my Versed/Demerol induced nap) and was out of there about 1/2 hour later. I'd have to say that I would prefer it through my groin, just because they are able to access a major artery which seems easier for the cardiologist that's doing it. I'll have to do some googling on wrist caths...I might change my mind.

My last cath was through the right wrist. The Cardiologist thought this would be easier for me due to my large body size at the time (over 400 pounds), and I think he was right. Had Aortic and Mitral valves both replaced the next morning.

I, too, cannot find a pulse at the cath site, but can hear the clicking of the St. Jude valves to assure that I do, in fact, have a heartbeat! Also happy to report a large wieght loss in hopes of getting 50 or so years out of these valves.

Going for my first cath before my surgery next week — what's the recovery time on that? Not that it matters so much, since I'm having surgery the next day, but is it easy to walk after you wake up?

Going for my first cath before my surgery next week — what's the recovery time on that? Not that it matters so much, since I'm having surgery the next day, but is it easy to walk after you wake up?

I've only had one and it was through the groin a couple weeks before my surgery. they used a colagen plug and I was walking within 3 hours. Just needed to take it easy for a few days. Next time around, I plan to ask for the Versed/Demerol combo that BrianB mentioned. Can you believe they gave me 1 Benedryl as a sedative?

All the best for you surgery next week. Update us as soon as you're able and let us know how the cath. goes too.

I've only had one and it was through the groin a couple weeks before my surgery. they used a colagen plug and I was walking within 3 hours. Just needed to take it easy for a few days. Next time around, I plan to ask for the Versed/Demerol combo that BrianB mentioned. Can you believe they gave me 1 Benedryl as a sedative?

All the best for you surgery next week. Update us as soon as you're able and let us know how the cath. goes too.

Thanks for the advice — I'll definitely make sure to get more than one benedryl!

And I'll be back here asap, but you can also follow my story at my site, http://www.jordansheartsucks.com.

Latest posts

Back