circumflex artery info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

I have 80% blockage in the circumflex artery. I was told it has a bend - I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly. I was told it can't be stented. Is this an important artery? If it blocked up completely, would this cause a major heart attack?

Hi Marilyn,
Your post seems to be outside the experience range of people on the forums this holiday weekend. I came up with some information about the circumflex artery with a simple Google search, but don't know enough to attempt any kind of answer--just wanted to refresh your thread.

How did you find out about the blockage? Did you have symptoms? I'm sorry you got news like that without any interpretation from your doctors. What did they tell you the next step is? Don't hesitate to call for more information--you need to know and understand.

Best wishes,
Debby

Circumflex artery

Circumflex artery

Hi Marilyn,Just read your post.The circumflex artery is a branch of one of the main coronary artery that supplies the back and undersurface of the heart.
The bend in it would prevent it from being stented because there would be a risk that it could rupture during the procedure.There would be other options however and you need to discuss these with your cardiologist.Good luck Barrie.

The Treatment Protocols that I remember (from some time ago) were that Angioplasty (and later stents) were the recommended treatment for 70 to 90% blockages. Above 90% Blockage, ByPass Surgery is often recommended.

Do you know your Cholesterol Numbers?
Specifically your LDL and HDL.

AGGRESSIVE Cholesterol and Diet treatment May / Can reverse Coronary Artery Disease.

Dr. Dean Ornish has a Vegetarian Diet that is supposedly proven to reverse Coronary Artery Disease.

If your HDL (Good Cholesterol) is above 40, that will help to lower your LDL (Bad Cholesterol).

If your LDL is above 100, Your Cardiologist will probably recommend a Cholesterol Lowering Medication, probably one of the Statin Drugs (Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor, or one of the generic equivalents for Lipitor or Pravacor?) Actually, with your blockage, they would probably recommend a Statin to get your LDL Below 70.

ZETIA is another (non-statin) drug that helps to lower Cholesterol although there are no studies that *prove* it helps prevent Heart Attacks.

The OTHER Option is ByPass Surgery which is done well in many Regional and even some Local Hospitals.

Bottom Line: Talk with your Cardiologist about your Options.

'AL Capshaw'

AlCapshaw2

AlCapshaw2

I had 2 bypasses and a valve done 3 years ago. I started having symptoms about 8 months ago that kept getting worse. A few weeks ago they did a cath and discovered the proximal was 90% blocked, and they put in a DES. The bypass grafts were 60%, the circumflex 80% (can't be stented), the LAD is 50%, and I can't remember another one. I have been on Zocor 40 mg for quite awhile. My LDL is around 60 or 70, and HDL is around 70. I was told that my problem is probably genes. They did tell me that I had increased in blockages since the surgery in other arteries which is obvious. I actually expected one of the grafts to be closing not one that was never in question. I eat fairly well, exercise, I am thin. I have exercised for along time. I have now been told to walk on the treadmill at 2.2 speed and to watch weights. This is very hard for me to do. What are they worried about?

With an HDL of 70 and LDL of 70, I expect your Cardiologist is wetting a finger, putting it 'in the wind', and asking himself: "Where do we go from here?"

Sometimes previously 'clean' arteries develop significant blockages 'out of the blue'. I have NO IDEA why and I've not heard any good reasons for such developments.

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

When was your last EchoCardiogram?
Have there been any changes in those measurements?

By watching your weights, I *assume* they are talking about Weight Training Exercises. Lifting weights can cause your Blood Pressure to become elevated which can be 'hard' on your heart valves. It seems they want you to continue Aerobic Exercises but even keep those to a low to moderate level. ASK your Cardio to explain exactly what he is concerned about.

FWIW, I made a spread sheet listing Every Parameter from my Echos so that I can watch for changes. You may want to do the same, and make another spread sheet for your Cath and Lab Results. I'm *assuming* you have copies of all your Test Reports (and if not, highly recommend getting them).

I don't know what more to say. It's hard to fight heredity!

'AL Capshaw'

Al Capshaw,
I posted a couple of days ago, but I hit post reply. I have no idea where it went. I will try and do it again. The symptoms are not as bad as before they did the stent. The cardio informed me with the blockage I still have I will not be free of symptoms. I have symptoms when I do most exercises except not at 2.2 on a treadmill. I went to an isometric exercise class today and got lightheaded / chest discomfort / jaw. I had problems when I left. I had shortness of breath / chest discomfort - it is so hard to tell the difference sometimes. I laid down, and it let up. When I got up to walk around I had some problems. I always wear a nitro patch.

My last EchoCardiogram was done in April. The Mitral Valve has some regurgitation, and the Tricuspid has moderate regurgitation. One doctor did tell me it was moderate to severe, but I ask another one and was told moderate. So, I really do not know. I am not sure if the mitral valve is moderate, but nothing has ever been said to me except take antibiotics for sometime. I have no idea if there are changes. Wouldn't he have seen this when he did a cath?

Yes, "watching the weights" had to do with exercise. I assumed he was worried about the blockages and not the valves, but I don't know. I will ask. He wants me to exercise, but he seems to be only happy with the slow speed on the treadmill.

I have a lot of problems with shortness of breath at times when I exercise, but I will get other symptoms too. The thing I do not understand is why I have the problem after I have exercised and it lingers.

Have you ever heard of incomplete revascularization?

I hope this gets through. I am not so great at sending these posts at times.

I appreciate your help. I am totally confused.

Latest posts

Back