St. Lukes Hospital in Houston

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any info, or heard good things about heart surgery in Houston at St.Lukes Episcopal hospital? Any info would be appreciated.

Having had my 3 OHS done at St. Luke's Danny & speaking from personal experience, they are the best in my book.

There are excellent drs, surgeons there, starting with Dr. Coselli, Dr. Duncan, Dr. Ott, among others. I would be happy to provide you with more information if you'd like. PM me if you're interested in knowing more.

St. Luke's/Texas Heart Institute is the best hospital in Texas for heart surgery and the 5th best in the U.S.

http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/heart-and-heart-surgery-hospital-rankings/

What surgeon are you looking at? George Reul did a friend's MVR (bovine) there in December 2002.

Dr. George Reul did my last OHS in 2006 Marsha, but shortly after that he took ill & is no longer doing surgery that I know of. His son, Ross Reul, is an excellent dr too.

Thank you for your info... just scared and looking for somthing relatively close to me. Im in South Louisiana, and cant afford to go to CC. Thanks again

Norma:

Good to get that update.

I've decided that if I need OHS again, I'd look into St. Luke's.

You certainly couldn't go wrong there Marsha. When I went up to have my "supposedly" 4th OHS, I requested Dr. Reul but Dr. Cooley was the one that told me that Dr. Reul was no longer operating & he recommended Dr. Duncan. So I know that if a recommendation comes from Dr. Cooley, it couldn't come from a higher & better authority than that! :)

Great hospital I had by pass there 5 years ago Dr. Ross reul his father is also a sergeon there, Im going there in a week to see about valve replacement, There my choice. good luck Ken

Great hospital I had by pass there 5 years ago Dr. Ross reul his father is also a sergeon there, Im going there in a week to see about valve replacement, There my choice. good luck Ken

As I mentioned to Marsha on a previous post, I don't believe Dr. George Reul is doing surgery anymore. In 2007, a year after he had done my last OHS in 2006, I was informed that he was not operating anymore because he had taken ill. I forgot to ask Dr. Cooley when I went to Houston just a few months ago if Dr. Reul (George) was back or not.

As others have noted, St. Lukes in Houston = Texas Heart Institute which I suggested you contact in my response to your thread about "Talking to other Members" or something similar.

Here is a copy of my response to that thread:

With an Aortic Aneurism, you would be best served by a Surgeon with LOTS of experience doing Surgery of the Aorta which is a Big Step beyond "mere" Valve Replacement.

I would suggest contacting the Texas Heart Institute in Houston (edit: i.e. St. Lukes Hospital) which is one of the Top Ten Heart Hospitals in the nation.

EDIT: Former VR Member "Oaktree" (BAV patient) credits Dr. Coselli at Texas Heart Institute in Houston with 'bringing her back from death's door' after a Failed AVR from another state (Valve stitches were failing). Dr. Coselli had the expertise and experience to deal with her 'Tissue Issues' and her second AVR is still functioning to this day. Unfortunately ALL of her posts were deleted when she cancelled her membership.

The usual recommendation for surgery is 5.0 cm (some use 5.5) so it sounds like it's time for you to go Surgeon Shopping.

You can learn a LOT about Bicuspid Aortic Valves and connective tissue disorders (which are often associated with aneurisms) in the Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum. That will keep you busy for a while and hopefully allay some of your fears.

'AL Capshaw'

my cousin worked and retired from there. she worked in the cardiac unit. They have people from all over the world come there for treatment and surgery. She had only praise for the entire staff, as well.

When it came time for me to have valve surgery I asked my cardiologist where he would go if HE was going to need the same surgery. At that time I lived in Odessa, TX. He said his choice would be Texas Heart Institute or maybe Cleveland. I picked Texas Heart for it wasn't about 550 miles.

Latest posts

Back