what happens to the pig?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beha

Ok so I am really curious about this. I asked my surgeon and my cardio and neither of them know. What happens to the rest of the pig that they harvest valves from? I hope they aren't wasted. I assume they go on to get eaten somehow but ....where do these pigs come from? are they raised in special medical pig farms, harvested and then sent to the slaughter house. I'm one of those people that just wants to know everything about everything especially when it is close to my heart (pun intended). No one seems to know where the pigs come from and where they go. My mom thinks I am being morbid- I'm just curious!

Beha, how are you doing?

Well, I get all my medical information from watching TV ; ) On Gray's Anatomy, they were using pigs for trauma surgery for the residents.

I think you ask a perfectly good question. I have wondered myself, and consider the pig a noble beast because of its contribution to me four years ago this coming Monday, when I was the tender age of 63. At first I felt a little guilty about enjoying pork BBQ, but now I just say another prayer of thanks for that additional porcine contribution to my "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness." :) (What Superbob calls, "Truth, Justice, and the American Way." :D

In trying to find an answer to your question, I did find this futuristic article from The Times of London (BTW, where the heck are you Bonzo Dog? -- we miss you! :confused:) ... Seems pigs may become even more important to us medically. And seems there are to be pigs bred especially for this purpose -- though I do not know if that applies to heart valve donors. (I am only grateful that papa pig gets the shot in the testicles, not me! :D)

Anyway, here's the story:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5102153.ece

If I find something to answer your question directly, I will post it.

Cheers,

They go on to live happily ever after!!! hee, hee :D:) :p

By no means am I a authority on this but the way I see it (from a Christian/Jewish) point of view ?.. Jesus was a Jew, and if you subscribe to the belief that Jesus is God?s son then God must be a Jew ? Jews don?t tolerate pigs, so sorry ?.. no pigs in heaven:p

By no means am I a authority on this but the way I see it (from a Christian/Jewish) point of view ?.. Jesus was a Jew, and if you subscribe to the belief that Jesus is God?s son then God must be a Jew ? Jews don?t tolerate pigs, so sorry ?.. no pigs in heaven:p

That is funny you said that, I know I posted it but I am in fact Jewish! I am also a vegetarian.. just trying to add some humor :)

I guess I should apologize for my seriousness. This is a little closer to the heart (pun intended) for those of us who in fact have porcine valves.

I found this story inspirational:

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/freestyle_valve_helps_swimmer_090120

Also, I found a reference in one article indicating that the pig's heart valve comes out of the processing for other products, though I have not found anything definitive yet.

Also, I found a statement from a Rabbi indicating that it is acceptable for a Jew to receive a porcine valve; doesn't violate the dietary laws.

the operator put me thru to someone else because she did not know i'm on hold

I left a message and hopefully they call back I did mention a group of us were wonderring, so hopefully they will return my call so they don't worry about getting lots of them :)

I've wondered that myself and always assumed that the rest of the body got used for something. It doesn't seem like it would be for meat, as we're talking about two totally different industries. Probably more to do with research or practice.

Other than that, they go wee wee wee all the way home!

Can't help but add a comment here.... I am going with the mechanical valve but if I was having to decide on tissue I would choose pig, because my last name is pigg and then I would be a pigg in and out!! Ok, might not be funny!!!! I know I'm warped!!!!

Thank you for the Welcome!!!! I did Marry a Great Pigg, LOL!!!! I'm hoping my signature thing is working, so testing with this post as well or I might need help!

OKey doke, just got off the phone with metronic (picked them since they have both pig and cows) very nice guy but sorry forgot his name. They have certain farms that raise the pigs and send the hearts to medtronic, the rest of the pig goes to regular pig things, (i asked like ham, bacon, footballs? he said yes) Nothing is wasted. He also said it might be interesting to know out of every 100 hearts they get, only 4 valves meet their criteria to end up being used as valves.
He asked if I was having surgery and I explained about my son and because of him I belong to VR.com and it was a question that came up. Since i told him about Justin, he asked IF I hew anything about the melody valve , and I told him I was aware of it and held great hopes for it and actually discussed the edwards version with Boston 2 years ago, but Justin eneded up needing the conduit section replaced and not the valve.
also the valve they use is the pigs aortic valve. (except of course for the contrega pulm one that is the cows jugular vein)

Latest posts

Back