Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Self Registrations have now been re-enabled. Due to the wonderful world of Spammers, those registering will be required to answer every question in the form..
See more
See less

what happens to the pig?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happens to the pig?

Ok so I am really curious about this. I asked my surgeon and my cardio and neither of them know. What happens to the rest of the pig that they harvest valves from? I hope they aren't wasted. I assume they go on to get eaten somehow but ....where do these pigs come from? are they raised in special medical pig farms, harvested and then sent to the slaughter house. I'm one of those people that just wants to know everything about everything especially when it is close to my heart (pun intended). No one seems to know where the pigs come from and where they go. My mom thinks I am being morbid- I'm just curious!
    1984- Born with PV stenosis (dysplastic valve)
    1986- PV valvectomy/ placement of transannular patch: Dr. Willis Williams, Emory
    1.20.09 PV replacement & CABG (for AnRCA): Dr. Brian Kogan, Emory
    Also, just for fun: asthma, scoliosis (spinal fusion w/ instrumentaion- 2001)
    My blog: [url]http://rebeccadoessurgery.blogspot.com/[/url]

They put mechanical valves in them .... .... Just kidding ... I assume bacon, chops, BBQ etc....
    No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
    ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Cooker....You are a bad boy......but a quick thinker Dick
      Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Drs. Richard Wood & Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery with no diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

Comment

Beha, how are you doing?

Well, I get all my medical information from watching TV ; ) On Gray's Anatomy, they were using pigs for trauma surgery for the residents.
        In the waiting room with moderate-severe Mitral Regurgitation w/ Bi-leaflet Prolapse

Comment

Don't all good little pigs go to pig heaven?
          Halley
          Mitral Valve Repair 1/9/07
          Mitral Valve Replacement, Carbomedics valve 8/22/07
          [url]http://www.zazzle.com/halleyg/gifts?cg=196026522942144637[/url]
          [url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/mineticks/[/url]

Comment

They go on to live happily ever after!!! hee, hee
            Best Regards,
            N Jean (New Mexico)

May/1975: AVR & MVR Double-Valves (Cooley-Cutter Mechanicals)
            Dec/1975: MV Repair -- Re-suture Mitral Mech. Valve (Dr. Denton Cooley)
            Mar/2006: AVR -- Old Valve Replaced w/St. Jude Mechanical (Dr. Reul)

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
            - Marie Curie

Comment

I think you ask a perfectly good question. I have wondered myself, and consider the pig a noble beast because of its contribution to me four years ago this coming Monday, when I was the tender age of 63. At first I felt a little guilty about enjoying pork BBQ, but now I just say another prayer of thanks for that additional porcine contribution to my "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness." (What Superbob calls, "Truth, Justice, and the American Way."

In trying to find an answer to your question, I did find this futuristic article from The Times of London (BTW, where the heck are you Bonzo Dog? -- we miss you! ) ... Seems pigs may become even more important to us medically. And seems there are to be pigs bred especially for this purpose -- though I do not know if that applies to heart valve donors. (I am only grateful that papa pig gets the shot in the testicles, not me! )

Anyway, here's the story:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5102153.ece

If I find something to answer your question directly, I will post it.

Cheers,
              Medtronics Freestyle Aortic Root Heart Valve (Porcine)
              02/16/05 Inova Fairfax, Virginia (Dr. Speir)
              www.steadfastdawgwalker.com (senior fitness blog)

Comment

Originally posted by njean View Post
                They go on to live happily ever after!!! hee, hee
                By no means am I a authority on this but the way I see it (from a Christian/Jewish) point of view ?.. Jesus was a Jew, and if you subscribe to the belief that Jesus is God?s son then God must be a Jew ? Jews don?t tolerate pigs, so sorry ?.. no pigs in heaven
                No shoes, no shirt, no problem
                AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
                ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Originally posted by Cooker View Post
                  By no means am I a authority on this but the way I see it (from a Christian/Jewish) point of view ?.. Jesus was a Jew, and if you subscribe to the belief that Jesus is God?s son then God must be a Jew ? Jews don?t tolerate pigs, so sorry ?.. no pigs in heaven
                  That is funny you said that, I know I posted it but I am in fact Jewish! I am also a vegetarian.. just trying to add some humor
                  Halley
                  Mitral Valve Repair 1/9/07
                  Mitral Valve Replacement, Carbomedics valve 8/22/07
                  [url]http://www.zazzle.com/halleyg/gifts?cg=196026522942144637[/url]
                  [url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/mineticks/[/url]

Comment

I think someone should call the manufactorer and ask, (ask about the cows too )

i'm calling medtronic right now
                    Lyn
                    Mom to Justin 25 TGA,VSDs, pulmonary atresia/stenosis ect, post/Rastelli, 5 OHS, pacer in and out ... and surgery w/muscle flap for post op infection (sternal osteomyelitis with mediastinitis) [url]www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw[/url]

Comment

I'm thinking the pigs are used for med student practice surgeries.
                      BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
                      INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

I guess I should apologize for my seriousness. This is a little closer to the heart (pun intended) for those of us who in fact have porcine valves.

I found this story inspirational:

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/freesty...swimmer_090120

Also, I found a reference in one article indicating that the pig's heart valve comes out of the processing for other products, though I have not found anything definitive yet.

Also, I found a statement from a Rabbi indicating that it is acceptable for a Jew to receive a porcine valve; doesn't violate the dietary laws.
                        Medtronics Freestyle Aortic Root Heart Valve (Porcine)
                        02/16/05 Inova Fairfax, Virginia (Dr. Speir)
                        www.steadfastdawgwalker.com (senior fitness blog)

Comment

the operator put me thru to someone else because she did not know i'm on hold

I left a message and hopefully they call back I did mention a group of us were wonderring, so hopefully they will return my call so they don't worry about getting lots of them
                          Lyn
                          Mom to Justin 25 TGA,VSDs, pulmonary atresia/stenosis ect, post/Rastelli, 5 OHS, pacer in and out ... and surgery w/muscle flap for post op infection (sternal osteomyelitis with mediastinitis) [url]www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw[/url]

Comment

I've wondered that myself and always assumed that the rest of the body got used for something. It doesn't seem like it would be for meat, as we're talking about two totally different industries. Probably more to do with research or practice.

Other than that, they go wee wee wee all the way home!

Comment

Can't help but add a comment here.... I am going with the mechanical valve but if I was having to decide on tissue I would choose pig, because my last name is pigg and then I would be a pigg in and out!! Ok, might not be funny!!!! I know I'm warped!!!!
                              Carole
                              Mitral Valve Replaced 3/18/2009 Dr McGiffin, UAB
                              Size 33 ON-X Valve

Comment

Working...
                              X