triglycerides over 1500

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flushing is a result of the niacin therapy. My husband takes the prescrip version, and takes the niacin at bedtime and can sleep through the flushing.
As I have mentioned before, there is a thorough plan of using OTC niacin in the book The 8-week Cholesterol Cure, but it requires taking it many times a day.

Niacin is used to raise your HDL only. If you don't have low HDL you wouldn't take it. My husband has been taking this since his surgery, blood testing soon, so we will see if it helped much.

Dina, flushing is also a symptom of pre-menopause.

witzkeyman

Another diet I would suggest is the South Beach Diet (invented by a cardio doc to lower cholesterol levels), because it is basically a plan that tries to emphasize foods that are natural and do not cause the quick blood spikes from simple carbs. I find it easy to follow -- and it uses snacks to keep your blood sugar levels more even thus keeping you from feeling like you are "on a diet".
Thanks cday, I don't have a cholesterol problem like witzeyman(mine is
only 220,but I'm hypothyroid)and my HDL's are good.
-Dina:)

Lisa & Al - my dr is the one who told me to take omega 3 fish oil in the first place but it's over the counter. This new stuff is by prescription only. Wonder what could be the difference except perhaps the words 'Rx only' on the sample bottle. Got to be the same stuff. She told me to take 2 capsules of the over the counter kind. Think I will just say no thanks to her next week at my appt. odd, don't you think.

I still haven't looked up this lovaza on the net yet; if it says anything different from otc fish oil, I will put it here in VR.

As Aaron said, the big three of diet, exercise, and appropriate medication is probably needed here. Those numbers are awfully high. (Except for the "good" cholesterol -- the HDL -- which is actually lower than it should be.)

One caution about niacin: My doc tried that with me, and it spiked my blood sugar. If you a diabetic, you don't want that to happen. He switched me to simvastatin and that seems to be working.

Good luck with getting these under better control. It IS important to your health.

just looked up lovaza. Dosage is 4xday of one g caspsule each time. It is recommended to be taken with simvastatin regimen. ??? I am not on that. The literature mentions triglycerides. I am wondering if the girl who called me meant triglycerides and not cholesterol. Don't think 279 triglycerides is very high, tho, is it?

just looked up lovaza. Dosage is 4xday of one g caspsule each time. It is recommended to be taken with simvastatin regimen. ??? I am not on that. The literature mentions triglycerides. I am wondering if the girl who called me meant triglycerides and not cholesterol. Don't think 279 triglycerides is very high, tho, is it?

Ann,

The chart from my doc on my recent blood work says 0 to 200 is the target range for triglycerides. (Mine was 77.)

I like Niacin a lot. my liver numbers were really elevated with Niacin. I didn't mind the flushing for 15 minutes. made me feel like it was working.

Witzkeyman -

I researched High Triglycerides and found the following recommendations to Reduce Triglyceride Levels:

Minimize SUGAR intake
Minimize Saturated Fat intake

Take Omega 3 Fatty Fish Oil supplements (1000 iu) once or twice a day.

INCREASE EXERCISE

Your Doctor may also recommend medication for your high level.

'AL Capshaw'
thanks Al as always. will the Omega 3 have an effect on the INR?

thanks Al as always. will the Omega 3 have an effect on the INR?

Omega 3 acts to "make the platelets more slippery" or some such wording but does NOT show up in the INR reading. SOME Omega 3 is GOOD, Too Much is NOT.
Walnuts are another good source.

'AL Capshaw'

I found a hand out from Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA.net).

It lists the three medications used to "lower TG and raise HDL" as:

Fibrates: fenofibrate, gemfibrozil (primarily to lower TG);

Niacin: niaspan, vitamin B3 (raises HDL and lowers TG);

Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Lovaza, 2-4 grams/day fish oil capsules (primarily to lower TG, can also raise HDL)

Take Aspirin 30 minutes before Niaspan. Take niaspan with food.

TG levels of 500 or more are listed as very high level of risk. It also says that if your TG levels are over 500 you should avoid alcohol completely.

Lifestyle factors:
Overweight
Inactivity
Diet high in refined carbs
Poorly controlled diabetes
Smoking
And the ever popular - Genetics

Lastly, states: some meds can affect TG and HDL. Make sure your doc is aware of ALL MEDS and DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS you take.

Another important point: it stresses that the TG test must be fasting (H20 and meds only) for 10-12 hours prior to blood being drawn.

I can't speak to the Triglycerides other than its a form of fat and that anything over 150 is considered less than desirable. 1500 just seems so far off the range, I've never heard of anyone being above 400 or so. The remedy for reduction is what we are told for lots of things, lifestyle changes. Better diet, more exercise, no smoking, no drinking. As far as HDL/LDL goes anything under 40 for HDL is considered bad. Fish Oil will help raise your HDL but the best way to raise it is with consistent exercise. When I went for my 6 week checkup after surgery my HDL was only 35. I was re-tested after several weeks of running and I was back in the 50s. No significant diet change, just committed to the aerobic work.

I found a hand out from Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA.net).

It lists the three medications used to "lower TG and raise HDL" as:

Fibrates: fenofibrate, gemfibrozil (primarily to lower TG);

Niacin: niaspan, vitamin B3 (raises HDL and lowers TG);

Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Lovaza, 2-4 grams/day fish oil capsules (primarily to lower TG, can also raise HDL)

Take Aspirin 30 minutes before Niaspan. Take niaspan with food.

TG levels of 500 or more are listed as very high level of risk. It also says that if your TG levels are over 500 you should avoid alcohol completely.

Lifestyle factors:
Overweight
Inactivity
Diet high in refined carbs
Poorly controlled diabetes
Smoking
And the ever popular - Genetics

Lastly, states: some meds can affect TG and HDL. Make sure your doc is aware of ALL MEDS and DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS you take.

My Cardio told me not to exceed 1000 mg (1 gram) of Fish Oil per day since I am also on AntiCoagulation Therapy (Coumadin / Warfarin).

I can't speak to the Triglycerides other than its a form of fat and that anything over 150 is considered less than desirable. 1500 just seems so far off the range, I've never heard of anyone being above 400 or so. The remedy for reduction is what we are told for lots of things, lifestyle changes. Better diet, more exercise, no smoking, no drinking. As far as HDL/LDL goes anything under 40 for HDL is considered bad. Fish Oil will help raise your HDL but the best way to raise it is with consistent exercise. When I went for my 6 week checkup after surgery my HDL was only 35. I was re-tested after several weeks of running and I was back in the 50s. No significant diet change, just committed to the aerobic work.

My triglycerides were 600 when I had my annual physcial last week. I'm already very active physically, doing a lot of triathlon training, so getting more exercise isn't an option. My PCP doesn't want to put me on meds, so we're seeing if I can lose 30-40 pounds in the next year or so through diet. I personally think that a big part of my problem is alcohol consumption and my habit of having a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner most nights. Besides working on my diet I'm going to restrict my alcohol to weekends and certain social functions.
Mark

Latest posts

Back