Aneurysm and Stress Tests

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The purpose of this testing is to examine the coronary arteries of the heart, looking for blockages that might prevent heart muscle from getting a full, free flow of blood.

In 2001, my husband had the chemical test - less invasive than an angiogram - prior to his surgery to remove his ascending aortic aneurysm. This is a nuclear medicine test.

By 2006, the 64 slice CT had appeared on the scene. This machine is so fast, it can image the coronaries on a beating heart. This is what my husband had prior to his redo valve surgery.

In both cases, his coronaries were clean - but it was important to know so a bypass could be planned for if needed. The 64 slicer also showed a small amount of calcification on his mitral, which was "scraped off" during surgery.

There is a brief video clip by Jerry Friede about 64 slice CT if you scroll down the page on this link. http://www.bicuspidfoundation.com This imaging center was one of the first in the country to offer 64 slice CT and has a lot of experience interpreting the results.

Imaging of the heart and blood vessels in the chest is one area that is advancing quite quickly - CT and MRI have come a long way just in the 7 years we have been involved with it.

I should add that in 1990, he had an angiogram prior to the replacement of his BAV, again for the same reason. No one told us about any nuclear imaging option then. He felt the affects from that angio in his groin when he walked, long after he was fully recovered from the heart surgery itself. I am not sure what they affected there, but it bothered him for a long time.

His coronaries, like most bicuspids, have always been clean. There are some bicuspids who have coronary artery disease also, but they are in the minority of those with BAVS.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

The purpose of this testing is to examine the coronary arteries of the heart, looking for blockages that might prevent heart muscle from getting a full, free flow of blood.

In 2001, my husband had the chemical test - less invasive than an angiogram - prior to his surgery to remove his ascending aortic aneurysm. This is a nuclear medicine test.

By 2006, the 64 slice CT had appeared on the scene. This machine is so fast, it can image the coronaries on a beating heart. This is what my husband had prior to his redo valve surgery.

In both cases, his coronaries were clean - but it was important to know so a bypass could be planned for if needed. The 64 slicer also showed a small amount of calcification on his mitral, which was "scraped off" during surgery.

There is a brief video clip by Jerry Friede about 64 slice CT if you scroll down the page on this link. http://www.bicuspidfoundation.com This imaging center was one of the first in the country to offer 64 slice CT and has a lot of experience interpreting the results.

Imaging of the heart and blood vessels in the chest is one area that is advancing quite quickly - CT and MRI have come a long way just in the 7 years we have been involved with it.

I should add that in 1990, he had an angiogram prior to the replacement of his BAV, again for the same reason. No one told us about any nuclear imaging option then. He felt the affects from that angio in his groin when he walked, long after he was fully recovered from the heart surgery itself. I am not sure what they affected there, but it bothered him for a long time.

His coronaries, like most bicuspids, have always been clean. There are some bicuspids who have coronary artery disease also, but they are in the minority of those with BAVS.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

Arlyss - Thank you for this link. My husband is having his CT on Monday and I was excited to see this clip you posted. It is amazing what they can do now.

Diana

Got me scared now

Got me scared now

THis thread is scaring me. I questioned why they would want to do a stress test AND an Angiogram but I was told to bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes. I assumed the stress test was merely hopping onto a tread mill seeing how long I could go before I started wheezing and gasping.

Well I did not enjoy that persantine test. It was uncomfortable to say the least. My chest/lungs felt like someone put sand bags on me and it hurt in a weird way. I was sweaty and totally wigged out. :D

"just two more minutes..." - nurse "OMGWTF I CANT" - me

I get the results in 4 days, but they said there was no EKG changes so that's a plus. There's still imaging they have to review.

THis thread is scaring me. I questioned why they would want to do a stress test AND an Angiogram but I was told to bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes. I assumed the stress test was merely hopping onto a tread mill seeing how long I could go before I started wheezing and gasping.

Anne there are two different types of stress tests. Sounds like yours is on the treadmill. Were talking about the nuclear stress test which involves them injecting Adenosene into you to bring your heart up to excercise level for a few minutes and they read ekg. Some people tolerate it, others don't. You have to stop being afraid of things your read. This is all part of getting ready for this surgery. ;)

Well, i've never had any blockages in the past 7 (nearly 8) years since I was diagnosed bicuspid, not even any narrowing in my coronaries. I do have twisty blood vessels though and they haven't been able to get all the way up to my great vessels before releasing the contrast medium.

I do have very low exercise tolerance and can be SOB even when inactive. My cardio has me booked for a stress test even though my echo came back with good result (I'll get a copy when I see him, he told me the results on the phone last weekend). I'll ask him exactly what he hopes to prove, I already have a mildly elevated resting HR and BP (92 and 130ish over 90ish) so learning how quickly those climb to dangerous levels will only prove that I'll need meds anyway.

The worst bit about the whole thing will be the actual stress they're going to put on my knees. My left knee still hates me after I hyper-extended it on ice just after my ACL recon and the right is going to have a pair of screws out along with a debridement pretty soon. <le sigh>

I don't think they have a 64 slice heart ctscan nearby, I'd have to go to Edmonton for that, but I'll ask my local guy what he thinks. Or maybe I can trick my way into a phone consult with Dr Fenske next week, before the stress test.

Aaron, I'm glad you got through ok and I'm waiting to hear the results. Here's hoping your tolerances are high and that you'll manage to stay moderately active before the big day on the mountain.

Take Heart,
Pamela.

Hey Pamela, thanks for the good wishes. I'm hoping the discomfort I felt was only because of the Persantine but I'm encouraged by no changes in the EKG.

Maybe you can get a nuclear stress test instead so you don't have to hurt your knees? It might be worth the drive. I have tortuous veins too. Maybe it's a bi-cuspid thing...

Back