MRI + Mechanical Valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDMc

Is there an online source to check if my valve is going to be affected by MRI? I'm scheduled for one next Monday for my shoulder. Thanks, Brian

The plastic card that identifies me as having a StJude valve states on it that it is safe to have an MRI. I imagine that its the same with most if not all mechanicals. Did you get such a card with yours?...or... How about having a look at the website of the manufacturers your valve?..A quick phone call to them or your Cardio would probably get you an answer.

Brian -

I expect that the question you need to ask is if there is any magnetic material (i.e. STEEL or IRON) in your valve (i.e. what are the struts of your valve made of?).

The BEST source for that information would be the Manufacturer (assuming they can still be contacted). Your SURGEON might be another good source (or ANY surgeon who used those valves at some time in his career).

Have you tried a GOOGLE Search for Bjork-Shiley?

'AL Capshaw'

I agree with Al. Check with the manufacturer and or surgeon. Do not rely on the technicians knowledge........I have a St Jude and as aussigal said it says it is safe but mine also gives instructions.......

>static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
>spatial gradient of 525 Gauss/cm or less
>maximum whole-body-average specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0W/kg for fifteen minutes of scanning

Now I have no clue what any of the above means:eek: but it tells me that some valves need special consideration for MRI test.

Brian,

On the conservative side - my cardio will not approve a MRI unless my life is in danger. He felt that way when I had the BS valve also. However, he is very cautious about everything but I like that about him.

I have had CAT scans instead of MRIs for various issues and the current technology (especially if contrast dye is used) is almost as good as a MRI so you might consider that option if you are concerned.

cooker said:
I agree with Al. Check with the manufacturer and or surgeon. Do not rely on the technicians knowledge........I have a St Jude and as aussigal said it says it is safe but mine also gives instructions.......

>static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
>spatial gradient of 525 Gauss/cm or less
>maximum whole-body-average specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0W/kg for fifteen minutes of scanning

Now I have no clue what any of the above means:eek: but it tells me that some valves need special consideration for MRI test.

That's interesting Tom.

Where did you find that information?

My St. Jude Card just says "MRI Compatible" in RED.

I called the contact number on my card to learn which model I had (Masters) and one of the recorded messages stated that ALL St. Jude Valves dating back to the 1970's were "MRI Compatible".

'AL Capshaw'

ALCapshaw2 said:
That's interesting Tom.

I called the contact number on my card to learn which model I had (Masters) and one of the recorded messages stated that ALL St. Jude Valves dating back to the 1970's were "MRI Compatible".

'AL Capshaw'

My card has the information on the back. It says the exact thing that Tom quoted and it says that it is only MRI safe under those conditions. So I think it depends on the the valve.

ALCapshaw2 said:
That's interesting Tom.

'AL Capshaw'

Al......it is on the back of my St Jude ID card. I will be glad to fax you a copy if you want one......Tom

Not Much Info Out There

Not Much Info Out There

Thanks for thee replies. I googled "Mechanical Heart Valves and MRI", and got a lot of links to lists of articles, but nothing on my valve's safety with MRIs. Shiley is no longer. They were bought out by Pfizer just before the recall of my valve, and quickly closed up shop. They didn't have MRIs in those days, so my card doesn't mention it. I happen to have a spare that a Shiley sales rep gave me. It looks like the struts are stainless steel, and my refrigerator magnets don't stick to it, but...?

Hmmm....

Start calling surgeons, starting with the one who put yours in, if he is still practicing.

The Magnet Test was a good idea, BUT it would help to have a convincing medical opinion!

Good Luck !

'AL Capshaw'

My Carbomedics is good to 1.5 Tesla.
I'm still trying to get the refrigerator magnets to stick to my chest.
Philip

My valve ID card does not mention MRI at all. Just has the valve serial #, model #, date implanted, surgeon and hospital info. Wonder when they started including MRI info on the cards?

Philip said:
My Carbomedics is good to 1.5 Tesla.
I'm still trying to get the refrigerator magnets to stick to my chest.
Philip

Once again I will state, "Refrigerator Magnets DO stick to my scar area".

Now, if you are going to do a "home" check to see if the spare you have is magnetic, use a stronger magnet than the fridge ones.

There is some stainless that is magnetic....all series 400 stainless steel is magnetic.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ben

MRI safety

MRI safety

I will apologize ahead of time. I was just sitting here in a slump, browsing this post, when I couldn't contain my laughter. The image of trying to get a refrigerator magnet to stick to my chest just overwhelmed me. I know this was a serious question and a real concern, and I am really not minimizing it. Thanks for lightening my mood unintentionally.:)
P.S. My St. Jude card states "MR-SAFE(Testing facility: 3- Telsa or less)

Story

Story

I just spent an hour writing a post about getting the MRI. Unfortunately, whenever I write long posts I lose my "Log in" and the post is lost.:confused: Anyway, I did try stronger magnets, and took my duplicate valve with me. The tech ran a test with it, and was very confident I'd be fine. I had the MRI, and seem fine!:) The rest of the post was about how poorly they run the hospital. But I'll save that for another time. Thanks, Brian

BDMc said:
I just spent an hour writing a post about getting the MRI. Unfortunately, whenever I write long posts I lose my "Log in" and the post is lost.:confused: Anyway, I did try stronger magnets, and took my duplicate valve with me. The tech ran a test with it, and was very confident I'd be fine. I had the MRI, and seem fine!:) The rest of the post was about how poorly they run the hospital. But I'll save that for another time. Thanks, Brian

I'm glad the MRI went fine. I hope the results are good. I wanted to let you know, I run into the problem w/ logging out on longer post, here and a few other places, so now if something seems to be getting longer, I copy it, them post if it gets lost, I just try again and paste what i copied. Sometimes i forget and get so annoyed with myself, but it has saved me alot of aggrevation :)

Lynlw said:
I'm glad the MRI went fine. I hope the results are good. I wanted to let you know, I run into the problem w/ logging out on longer post, here and a few other places, so now if something seems to be getting longer, I copy it, them post if it gets lost, I just try again and paste what i copied. Sometimes i forget and get so annoyed with myself, but it has saved me alot of aggrevation :)

It's VERY FRUSTRATING when a Long Post gets deleted before sending!

There a several ways to prevent that problem.

The Safest Way is to compose your post in a Word Processor File then COPY and PASTE.

Another method I sometimes use is to merely start the post in VR.com but Copy and Paste to an E=Mail (MINE, not VR.com's) but do NOT send, or put it in SEND LATER.

The SIMPLEST (but less secure) method I've found seems to be just to EDIT and COPY before hitting the Submit Reply button.

'AL Capshaw'

Education

Education

Lyn and Al, Thanks for the helpful education!:) I'll try that next time! Hope to get my results today. Brian

Latest posts

Back