Normal Ascending Aorta Size??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
savysmommy said:
Ross, I would be scared as well. I hope that it stays as is, and doesn't grow any larger. Have they talked about surgery yet?

Well, I don't think I have an aneurysm, at least I hope not. I cant seem to locate my medical records to compare reports. I have a new copy in the mail on its way to me now. All I know is that my ascending aorta is larger today than it was when it was "fixed". This is why I wanted to find out if its size was normal. I guess it doesn't matter, because if its bigger, than thats a problem. Surgery wasn't even two years ago.

The reason I was so interested in finding out all of this is because ( I was gonna put this in a different thread, but oh well) I am pregnant. This was all ok, and I expected everything to be fine. I am sure it still is, but just a few comments stuck out at my last doc apt, that now have me concerned. I am concerned about the additional 50% blood volume that will be going through my heart by the 20th week, and I am concerned what this effect will have on my aorta. After learning that it is bigger than it was after surgery, is what has me concerned. However, I don't know how significant the change was yet.

As soon as I get the copies from my docs office, I can figure out exactly what has changed. BTW, I am only 8 weeks. :)

Thanks everyone for the very informative post!

Mine measures 3.5 at the moment. Just a baby and nothing to worry about, but after having one dissect before it ever got to 5 and nearly killing me, just knowing I have another is enough to put me in panic mode.

I fairly sure that your aorta should be a bit larger after surgery. I'm trying to find evidence to back that up, but I pretty sure we all have larger aortas after surgery.

Congratultions mom!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes for a carefree and healthy one!

Have Some Baseline Pictures Taken After Surgery....

Have Some Baseline Pictures Taken After Surgery....

I do not know how many aortic surgeons/aortic centers do this, but it is important because it takes away any guessing about what the aorta was like after surgery:

Have a baseline MRI or CT a few weeks after surgery, when the person is healed nicely and feeling up to it. These images are the "after" surgery baseline picture. Then a year later, have the pictures done again. How does it compare? Keep having these pictures taken over the years (at a frequency you agree on with your doc) and compare them...... then there is no doubt about whether things have changed, or if it was always that way after surgery.

A "regular" echo through the chest just does not show the whole aorta, so it is not good enough! It needs to be MRI or CT.

Ross, it is not fair at all that you have an abdominal aneurysm. I know one guy with BAVD who also has a small one being watched down in the abdomen. Down in the abdomen is the first place that stents were used on the aorta. They are now also approved for the descending/thoracoabdominal aorta in some situations. I hope that the stent solution will be possible for you when the time comes. And I hope your blood pressure stays low..... easier on the plumbing all over to have less force on it.

Savysmommy, I am thinking right now of a beautiful little girl who was born after her Mom had aortic surgery. (In that Mom, the ascending aorta had been replaced with Dacron.) I am wishing the same outcome for you and your new little one - a safe pregnancy and delivery. I hope you have access to high risk pregnancy expertise as well as aortic expertise. As you have begun to research, it is very important to know where you stand with your aorta.

Best wishes to all,
Arlyss

Back