What is the life expectancy after the avr?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband lived 29 years with double mechanical valves. He passed away recently at the age of 75 with his two mechanicals going strong until the last second. He passed away from other causes.

He was 44 when he had his AVR, and had a Bjork Shiley which was still in there, and never had to be replaced. By today's standards, this valve was big and clunky. The newer streamlined mechanicals are terrific, lighter, better bloodflow, much better dynamics. He had a St, Jude mitral mechanical too.

Joe was not supposed to live past 50 years old, but he fooled all his doctors.

You can live a very long full life. I know about this.

Almost 25 yrs post-Still ticking along!

Almost 25 yrs post-Still ticking along!

I had my first AVR 25 years ago March 2, coming up next weekend!:) I am currently 44, and 6 years into my second avr, and had mvr with that one.

Nancy, you and Joe are an inspiration, and I hope that I have Joe's longevity, and make it to 75 plus.

Take care, hope this helps some!

The AVR itself really doesn't do much to your longevity, aside from adding some risk factors (resurgery or ACT). If the underlying cause of your surgery is progressive, it may cause an issue with your lifespan.

The expected lifespan of someone who has symptoms of severe aortic stenosis is three to five years - and not pleasant or healthy ones.

Most people who do have AVR live normal lifespans: [Bonow RO, et al. (1998). ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease). Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 32(5): 1486–1588.]

Not a tough decision.

Best wishes,

My oldest brother had his first avr (porcine) at the age of about 75. He had his second at 82 or 83. He's going to be 87 in April. Don't know what that says for sure. He has other medical problems right now. Early stages of Parkinsons, a couple years ago a frontal stroke but he is still kicking around but a lot slower than ever. Personally I always thought he'd be the one to live the longest like our mother who died at the age of 102.

Pre-surger I was told my life expectancy was age 40. Post surgery I just had my 71st birthday (2/21/36). I know this is a concern to anyone looking at this type of surgery. I spent alot of time, pre and post surgery, "grappling" with the question. In hindsite, it wasn't worth all the worry. My biggest concern today is waiting for warmer weather so I can play golf.

"Only sweat the BIG deals....and remember, there are no big deals."

normal

normal

A site of aortic valve decease - regurgitation (last edited 2006) has published that: "When there is a corrective surgery, you can reach normal or near normal life expectancy". Bob has always a good response (especialy for me, when I asked the same question). ;)
But Bob Tobagotwo, I have read the journal you pointed above and there was nothing about expected life spans in! This site, that I'm talking about points that journal too, but I haven't found anything.

Ivo

When I researched this extensively prior to my surgery I found that life expectancy was normal after AVR. Hope this helps. I went skiing LAST weekend and had a great time! Not winded, skiied six hours. So...for anyone contemplating it, it's better AFTER. Have fun!

Back