Question about pauses in heartbeat.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyllis Jean

I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours. It showed that there were pauses for up to 3 seconds in my heartbeat. My cardiologist said I needed a pacemaker.

My question is: Is 3 seconds a long time for pauses? I have been lightheaded, but haven't passed out yet. How many seconds have to pass before it is considered life threatening? At what point do you pass out? After 4 or 5 seconds of a pause, or more? Could someone help me with this? I really would like to know.

Dear Phyllis:

WOW! My husband also has heart pauses. He has chronic a-fib. His pauses are as long as 2.9 seconds. Last Holter showed he had 89 in that 24 hour period. He also had a low rate of 30 and a high rate of 156, without excercise. He also has been told, many times, he needs a pacemaker. Before that is implanted however, he has to have his tricuspid valve repaired, so they can insert the wires through that valve. He also has not yet "hit the floor", but he sure has gotten light headed.

I think your heart has to pause for more than 3 seconds before you pass out cold, unless your pressure is very low as well, then perhaps it could happen then.

I will be looking at this post for others input.

Marybeth

Phyllis Jean said:
I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours. It showed that there were pauses for up to 3 seconds in my heartbeat. My cardiologist said I needed a pacemaker.

My question is: Is 3 seconds a long time for pauses? I have been lightheaded, but haven't passed out yet. How many seconds have to pass before it is considered life threatening? At what point do you pass out? After 4 or 5 seconds of a pause, or more? Could someone help me with this? I really would like to know.

Yes, 3 seconds is quite a long time if it is happening more than just once. It seems you mentioned in another thread that the cardio told you that you had pauses "up to" 3 seconds. How many pauses and do they match the timing of the lightheadedness? I would say most likely they do!

I had a pause of just shy of four seconds a few weeks after my surgery, but that was caused by my heart jumping back into sinus rythm after a very short bout of ventricular tachyacardia. Mine was caught on tape why doing a stress echo to get approved for phase II cardiac rehab.

You should discuss in detail with your cardio the possibility of getting a pace maker if this problem is not short lived.

Ben

I would also confirm whether or not the irregularity can be "fixed" with the new laser procedures whereas they "burn/freeze" the area of the heart that misfires.

They may not be related, however before they go the pacemaker route, it might be worth looking into. The procedure is non-invasive as they access the heart through your groin via the major leg artery.

Again, I'm not playing doctor, however just a thought. Good luck. :)

Yes, I agree with Rush. You could be on a temp pacer if needed while they try alternatives. I would consult an electrophysiolgist before making a decision.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back