Bentall Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BAV Pt's daughter

:confused: My mom just found out she will need to have the Bentall Procedure for bicuspid aortic valve and aortic aneurysm (5.1cm). I live near Duke University, we are considering this or Dr Raissi at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles. My biggest concern at this point is circulatory arrest involved in this procedure. I am a registered nurse and I understand the medical mechanics involved and it is still scary to me. Any advice?

Bav Pt

Bav Pt

Just giver her lots of love and kisses, and chocolate1

Bentall

Bentall

Hi.
I just had this done in April. Instead of going to LA, I would consider going to UAB in Birmingham. They rank higher than Cedars and have some real aces. I would go see Dr. Pacifico. They've done this for quite a while so it is pretty routine at this point. I would ask the surgeon's about how long they normally put folks on bypass. Mine was very short, less than 1 hour. They did the whole procedure in <3 hours. This was the selling point for me. Don't stress too much. Just find a surgeon who does a large volume per year. My surgeon had done 25,000 open heart surgeries in his career.

Bentall

Bentall

Hi

I'm a nurse too and had the Bentall procedure with replacement of my aortic aneurysm June 7th of this year. I debated having out of town surgery for privacy reasons (the people I worked with every day did my procedure) but decided against it so it would be more convenient for my family. It worked out well. I believe there are some very capable Cardiac surgeons at Duke. One of our surgeons completed his residency there. I was on circulatory arrest for about 23 min for my procedure. I think the most important things about picking a surgeon is how many of the specific procedure he/she does per year (mine did average of 200), their personal mortality & morbidity rate, and the availablity of round the clock cardiovascular anesthesiologists. My doc's M&M was 2% verses my chances of disability or, more likely, death without the surgery of 5%. I heard from another guy that had his surgery by a surgeon in New York who specialized in Bentall and aortic repair with a M&M of 0.7%. I can fully understand what is going through your head but don't let your mind run away with you. Unless your mom has other ailments that would negate a procedure, she needs this surgery and will be needing you for two to three weeks after going home so you might want to make some plans. You have my best wishes for her safe and quick recovery. Hope this helps.

Ccrn

Ccrn

I am so glad to see you post..because after my surgery..Bentall procedure for my aortic aneurysm.... My surgeon told my family..I only had her on circulatory arrest for 23 minutes... :) He said, I try not to have them any longer than that....Maybe why now, I think back..Up and walking halls the next day...No pain.. Remember nothing from surgery.....That was at St. Joseph's in Atlanta..with the Peachtree Cardiovascular and thoracic Surgeons....Came home in 5 days..doing great ..3 years 6 months later. :) Bonnie

Bentall

Bentall

Hi

I too had the Bentall Procedure done on Feb. 14, 2005. I must have spent the 2 months prior to the surgery worrying about it. In the end everything went great. I was in the hospital for only 5 days! I have no idea how long I was in circulatory arrest, guess I never thought about it, however I am kinda curious now. When I was first told about the procedure I nearly ran out of the surgeons office never to return. It took me a while to realize that no matter how risky any surgery is, the risk of not having it done was FAR greater!

Mike

Bentalls

Bentalls

CCRN said:
Hi

I think the most important things about picking a surgeon is how many of the specific procedure he/she does per year (mine did average of 200), their personal mortality & morbidity rate, and the availablity of round the clock cardiovascular anesthesiologists. My doc's M&M was 2% verses my chances of disability or, more likely, death without the surgery of 5%.

Thanks. Where did you have your surgery done, by the way? I seem to run into one specific problem from docs that I have spoken with so far: they want to tell me how many open heart surgeries they have done, or even how many aortics, but I really have to press and press to find the specific amount of this actual procedure. Its like pulling teeth!! :mad:

Circ arrest time

Circ arrest time

Mike S said:
Hi

I too had the Bentall Procedure done on Feb. 14, 2005. I must have spent the 2 months prior to the surgery worrying about it. In the end everything went great. I was in the hospital for only 5 days! I have no idea how long I was in circulatory arrest, guess I never thought about it, however I am kinda curious now. When I was first told about the procedure I nearly ran out of the surgeons office never to return. It took me a while to realize that no matter how risky any surgery is, the risk of not having it done was FAR greater!

Mike

Request your report of operation from your hospital. It should have your circ arrest time. I use having been dead once in my lifetime as an excuse for many things now.....comes in handy. I consider the fact that the most egotistical doc I work with brought me back a personal joke from God. :) I spent 4 months obsessing about the surgery and I would trade that period of time for a week's episode of spasmotic sneezing ANY TIME.

Recovery time

Recovery time

Also wondering to those of you having had the Bentall procedure... what has been your average recovery time?

Thanks agin for the helpful advice!! What a wonderful site!! :cool:

BAV Pt's daughter said:
Also wondering to those of you having had the Bentall procedure... what has been your average recovery time?

I was in the ICU for 12hrs, on the cardiac ward for 5 days. I spent the first month at home (No driving, lifting, etc.) but was pretty mobile. The only time I was in pain/discomfort was when I was lying down or sleeping. After a Month at home I started driving again and partime work. It took me 2 months from surgery to feel like my old self again :) . Keep in mind I am 30 years old and everyone's situation is different. I have learned from this site that everyones recovery is different.

Recovery

Recovery

BAV Pt's daughter said:

Recovery depends on the situation before you had the surgery. If there is enlargement of the ventricle or other cardiovascular disease the recovery might be a little longer than someone who has had little cardiac copmpensation from the valve problem. Otherwise, the recovery time is pretty much the same as bypass surgery. The big deal is the healing of your sternum which can take 8-12 weeks. I didn't go back to work until 12 weeks out due to a 20 lb weight restriction. I've been tired today but maybe it was because of the 18 mile bike ride I took yesterday? :)

Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone

Thanks everyone for your input. I just have so many questions that keep coming up as we go through this. Its nice to have this website and you guys to help out. Thanks again!!!!! :) ;)
Angela

Latest posts

Back